ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Upgrading the 500D 'kit lens'

I'm just after some advice on whether these lenses are worth changing to.

I'm using a Canon 500D with the kit lens (18-55mm), and I'm wanting better IQ. I've been pointed to the following lenses on TP to replace my kit lens.

Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 @ £350
Sigma 18-50mm f2.8-4.5 @ £180
Canon 15-85mm f3.5-5.6 @ £600

Has anyone had any experience with these lenses? Any examples?

My heart is telling me to get the 15-85 as it'll cover the same and a little more than my kit lens, but I can't justify the price if the Sigma/Tamron are decent enough at half the price.

To give you an idea of what I've done with the kit lens; Here are pictures from another topic.

I'm also looking at a 50mm f1.8, but I'm going to request this for Christmas with it only being £60-70.

Advice? :eek:

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
Got a 500D myself, had it just over a month now and I've got 3 extra lenses! But the 50mm 1.8 is one of my favourites, really depends on what you use the lens for. 15-85 would be a great walk around lens as it's diverse. I can't really offer much help as I'm a n00b myself but the 50mm is a great lens :) The lenses I've got are Sigma 70-300 f4-5.6, Canon 50mm 1.8 and a Samyang 8mm which is loads of fun!

koi

Audi S1
I went with the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM for my upgrade. Fantastic lens but a bit heavy

Out of those I'd have the tamron, it's one I am considering myself. For my 450D the first upgrade I purchased was a 50mm F1.8. Can't speak highly enough of it and it does wonders for your understanding of photography!

Thanks for the advice. I've got the 50mm F1.8 on the Christmas list, as I've heard so many good things about it.

As for the above lenses you've recommended, does anyone have any decent examples of shots?

I've literally spent hours looking through Flickr.

Have a look at the Sigma 24-70 f2.8, brilliant lens.

6182853904_ed3d36b5db_z.jpg

Just when I'd narrowed it down to 3.

Are the Sigma/Tamron lenses still a decent lens, in comparison to Canon's?

Ok, think I may go for the Sigma 17-50mm f1.8. Can get it 2nd hand for £380. Worth the punt? (RRP £550).

I've got a 500D as well and looking to upgrade my kit lens so this thread has saved me time looking, thanks C.J ;)

Yes, the Sigma feel great, feels hella better than the 18-55mm.

Sigma are such a huge hit or miss
There QA process is appauling - most of the lenses under/over focus
I found out you can send them off for calibration and they come back a month later pin sharp - but it annoys me they don't do that to start with :(

I've just bought a Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 OS. Hopefully will be here tomorrow.

I'll be getting the Canon 50mm F1.8 for Christmas (cheap enough for a present).