ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

help with speakers

clio trophy
i have a sub in the boot and it cut out. Had all the wires out and checked fuses, prety sure its the earth wire that has a bad connection. Any ideas where to wire the earth on the car? Thanks, matt

Mk2 172
i have a sub in the boot and it cut out. Had all the wires out and checked fuses, prety sure its the earth wire that has a bad connection. Any ideas where to wire the earth on the car? Thanks, matt

There is only one way to do an earth and that drill a hole and clean all the paint away from it and use either a decent sized screw or nut and bolt
DONT use a seat belt bolt or a bolt that holds the seat in or rear light cluster bolt!! Drill a hole :)

MK3

Dynamiqueee
What sub / amp do you have? Where is the earth mounted atm? The way mentioned above is the best way to do it, but unless you're running a fairly powerful setup i wouldn't bother personaly.

clio trophy
it was connected to one of the bolts in the rear of the boot where it shuts. There are one either side of the lock. Everything is plastic on the clio, ha! Its a fli sub/amp. It does make the sound a lot better.

I'd personally Just try lots of different existing bolts and see if any of them work before you start drilling. Sand the metal down a bit where the Earth connector will touch it.
If your good with a Voltmeter you could use that so you know if current is flowing, although I don't really know how you do that personally.
I've used both the bolt that holds the rear light cluster on, and the bolt that holds the rear seat in, and both worked fine for me with my active sub and a normal Amp.

the way dan r has mentioned is the best way,any other method uses exhisting bolts that arent designed for sub earthing,drilling it the best possible earth,best panel i find is the passenger rear wing where the petrol cap would be but inside,remove the rear light cluster and youll see the other side of the panel so you know you arent drilling through anything important,then sand it all back

Mk2 172
What sub / amp do you have? Where is the earth mounted atm? The way mentioned above is the best way to do it, but unless you're running a fairly powerful setup i wouldn't bother personaly.

The quality and power of the amp has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with the quality of the earth point!!!!!!!
You shud have a proper good quality earth point whatever ur using, i ought to know i do it for a living!! A bad earth point can cause many more problems than u think!

MK3

Dynamiqueee
Ok i'll take your word for it. I just assumed it was the same kind of thing as cable sizes? Asin the thicker cable the better, but if you're running a 150 watt active sub then there's absolutely no point in using 0awg wiring. I never reccomended it to him, i just said it's what i would do. My earth was mounted to the seat belt for 6 months before i upgraded everything and i never had any problems.

The quality and power of the amp has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with the quality of the earth point!!!!!!!
You shud have a proper good quality earth point whatever ur using, i ought to know i do it for a living!! A bad earth point can cause many more problems than u think!