ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help with strut top washers please

ph1 172
I am tryin to fit the strut top washers that are supposed to fix the knocking noise when turning the steering wheel. I managed to get the drivers side rubber mount off no problem, but it seems the other side is seized or something. it wont come off, and i dont want to try too hard in fear of snapping something. Iv sprayed it with wd40 and still it wont budge.

So at the minute 1 side has the washer on it, and the other doesnt. will this be ok to drive like this or shall i take the other 1 off for now?

Can someone lend me a suggestion for getting the bolt loose?

Thanks, Alex.

Have you used a swan neck ring spanner and an allen key into the top of the strut to stop it spinning? WD40 is useless btw you need proper penetrating oil/duck oil/mech oil.

ph1 172
yer i used 21mm deep ring spanner with a 6mm allen key to hold it in place. if i yank too hard is there risk of me snapping it?

Focus ST170
Take it to a garage mate and get them to impact it off.. had so much trouble removing mine when fitting coilovers inc snapping a 6mm allen key bolt in the damn thing.. garage impact it off then finger thighten back so you can get home. jobs a good'un..

Focus ST170
Not if your only going to local garage few miles wont hurt, i drove 7 miles with my top struts virtualy undone.. once they take it off put the other washer in hey prendo!!

Lots of Alfas
The 172ph1 doesnt need the washer fix if its on standard wheels. It doesnt suffer from this. If it is knocking it could be worn top mount bearings.

ph1 172
I just fitted the washers to my ph1. i drove it round the block a few times, locking it both ways a fair few times and it didnt knock or clonk once, so im hoping it has fixed it...

davebem, r u sure ur right?

BMW F31
are they easy to get hold of, i know what im looking for but cant find anywhere online to source them. am i best off going to renault?

are they easy to get hold of, i know what im looking for but cant find anywhere online to source them. am i best off going to renault?

Renault see the parts seperate for £18 or so a side from memory but check the price of the whole top mount kit it chnaces a lot and not that bad priced plus then you know the whole top mount is good and new.