ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HELP!

2003 Clio 172
Ok, Clio was fine this afternoon....started in and gave it a real good wash.

Went to start it tonight and it revved straight up to 3000rpm....at this stage the accelerator did nothing.

The dash showed the wee sqaure with the zig zag line through it.

After it warmed it eventually got down to 1200rpm and it's hunting

Also, the revs are hanging so much

Please help...has something got wet?

Andy

2003 Clio 172
Right, so it seemed to resolve itself (must have been water somewhere?) but I'm left with the wee engine light on the right lower part of the binnacle

What's that about then?

Jj

Cro

Meg'd r27
Did you hose under the bonnet? If not theres probably an open wire somewhere, the light might go out by itself after a few 'good' starts

2003 Clio 172
Hey matey,

No, I didnt hose under the bonnet but when i looked, under the bonnet was utterly soaking.......looks like that during my "mega" wash (tm), it got seriously wet under there.

Seemed ok on a cold start this morning apart from the below light showing.

View attachment 46256

Is that a BAD thing?

Is that telling me there is a fault stored?

Jj

Yes there's a fault of some sort

I had this light on for a few days but it's turned off now. Not sure what was up with it...

2003 Clio 172
So is this a Reno only diagnostic session to find out whats going on?

Lets assume whatever happened, was down to water in the engine bay. What on earth would cause the car to idle at 3000rpm, not respond to the throttle and the other odd thing was that when i pushed the brake pedal, the idles dropped and the car idled perfectly, once i let go of the brake pedal, off she went again.

Jj

Cro

Meg'd r27
I'd say its got into the coilpack, plugs or sucked some in. A good run let the engine warm up and dry everything of might do the trick. I wouldn't worry about the light for a while, rack up a good few miles and you might find it'll turn itself off if its running grand.

If not i'll turn it off for you

2003 Clio 172
Ok chap, thanks.....will see how it goes and give you a shout if needs be.

This isnt limp home is it by the way?

As she is just as peppy as ever....

Cheers
Jj

2003 Clio 172
oh, thats ok :)

It went WELL past 3k this morning

On the note of resetting the light, can you get the code of the error before its reset lad?

lol

Jj

2003 Clio 172
:D

Ok chap.....ill see how it goes and let you know.

Ill drop you a PM with my # anyway, drop me a text if you get a chance so i can shout you off the board if needed, usually a bit quicker.

Cheers
JJ

Megane 225
No, the code will still be there. It will show up as an historic code and not a current fault. As said, you've probably just got water in something electrical and it didn't like it! Hopefully all fixed now though. Be careful next time you wash her!

2003 Clio 172
Lesson learned chap.....thanks.....just need to hook-up with Cro sometime to get the code off her

Cheers guys
Jj