ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HELP !

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
Well the Phase 1 has finally gave me a problem, on the way to work today a strange knock developed from the engine and lost a bit of power (Say 30%) I knew something was wrong so went to pull in where it lost alot of power and now after turning the engine off it wont fire up. It will crank and it smells a little fuel, the pump can be heard priming and the car's immobiliser light goes out as per. No dash warning lights are on and nothing has flagged in the basic fault finder on the trip.
Sometimes when cranking it does kick in very slightly, say 15 RPM and it splutters to a stop.

Engine as ample fresh Fusch oil, nothing looking dodgey under the oil cap.

Called the AA and he's tried various things but is sure its an Electrical Fault. He has advised the plug that connects the coil pack is producing no voltage and said that the relays and engine fuses are all fine. He suspects its a corroded wire or a faulty ECU !?

Does anybody know, other then a wire fault, what would cause the coilpack to receive no voltage ?

p.s there appears to be no knocking noise on crank now, it's cranking normalish (Sounds a little heavier then normal)

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
Also does anybody know where the wire from the coilpack goes (Mainly the live) does it go to a relay or straight to the ECU ?

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
Ok im almost certain it's an electrical fault, just tried the connectors one by one and when trying to start it sounded like it was slightly picking up and then a big loud pop (Probably a backfire out the inlet as it has no box on at the moment)

I fear the heavy rain we have had recently may have caused an issue with the loom, if anybody (Im fairly desperate it has me off work) has information on where it goes from coilpack plug back it would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
  LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
I've tried the map sensor, the air intake sensor and the crank sensor from my 1.4 and it's changed nothing - also pulled the entire loom out and followed the coilpack power back to the ECU and there are no cuts or breaks in the wire.

Ive got a knock sensor, oil temp sensor and the lambada left to check and I'm all out of ideas.

Clio 182
Sorry to see no one's been able to help mate, i was going to suggest the crank sensor but you've done that. hopefully this'll bump you and somebody else will see it.

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
Cheers mate, yeah im properly stuck sadly. My uncle came over a min ago and he said he thinks the ECU has had it :/

Has anybody else had experience of an ECU going ?