ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hey all

Hey all,

My names Dan, and i currently drive a 1995 Punto GT. However im looking to change up to a 172 in the next month or so, and i saw this site on the window sticker (see, they do work) in a 182 Gordini(?) at Oulton Parke this weekend. (I was parked outside the pits in a dark blue punto with anthracite wheels).

Ill be looking for some info on what to look out for when buying 2nd hand etc. and just getting some general info about the cars. I already know theyre meant to be pretty brilliant in terms of performance and handling (handling is something that Fiat completely overlooked sadly) but id appreciate it if you guys could steer me in the right direction

Thanks

Dan

just the usual checks for abuse and accident damage. they are still fairly new cars and tbh as long as the service book is stamped up and the car looks well cared for the only issues you might get are a few trim rattles or niggly problems as other than that mechanically they are sound.

welcome to the club fella :D

Quote: Originally posted by Lionheart on 14 February 2005
cheers for the quick replies everyone. So theres no real particulars i should be looking out for other than the usual checks?This is my current car in a very rare cleaned form, its for sale shortly on the off chance that anybody is interested:http://www.puntosports.co.uk/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1798&size=big&sort=1&cat=500http://www.puntosports.co.uk/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1798&size=big&sort=1&cat=500

nice :D

basically the only things you might find on earlier models would be engine mouunts knocking (this sometimes happens on new ones too so might just need repositioning) the exhausts are w**k and they tend to go where the pipe meets the backbox so if it has a std system on it check that. they get a 4000 rpm buzz sometimes on the centre section but this should be covered under warranty depending on the age. a very small number have suffered water leaks so check in the bootwell or under the rear seat. airbag lights can come on but normally just a lose connector under the front seats. like i say though on the whole they are pretty sound so just do the usual common sence checks you would do with any car.

Thanks,

I still havent decided weather its going to be a mk.1 or a mk.2., ill have roughly 7k to spend, and id prefer the mk.2 ideally, but if it came down to it id rather have a nice low mile mk.1, than a raped high mile mk.2.

Thats the thing you see, ive had some real problems with private buys in the past, so ill more than likely be getting a trade buy with some form of warranty.

Is the mk.2 regarded as a better car than the mk.1?

[Edited by Lionheart on 14 February 2005 at 8:00pm]

depends on who you ask you get a different reply, the mk2 has more toys and IMO looks the nicer of the two. however some mk1 owners prefer the drive (different gear ratios wheel size and suspension set up) of the mk1 best bet is to try and get a good look at and drive of both and make your own mind up.

172 ph1 ASBO SLAYER

the mk1, in my opinion is rare the mk2s seem quite common, and it has a better look to the front end. the mk2 has more toys, but that just slows you down! and thats not the point of the 172!;)

172 ph1 ASBO SLAYER

Quote: Originally posted by Loony on 14 February 2005

depends on who you ask you get a different reply, the mk2 has more toys and IMO looks the nicer of the two. however some mk1 owners prefer the drive (different gear ratios wheel size and suspension set up) of the mk1 best bet is to try and get a good look at and drive of both and make your own mind up.
YOU BEAT ME TO IT:D

Audi RS4

mk2s look more aggressive imo and the mk1sm look a bit dated now but drivingwise the mk1 is prolly more involving.everyone has different opinions though!

Cheers, personally i think the Mk2 looks nicer because its that bit more sharp, but the Mk1 still looks good, and i prefer a fun drive over looks (some of you may have gathered this from the fact that i drive a Fiat Punto with black wheels ;))

Ill try and arrange a test in the mk.1 for the next week or so then and see how i get on with it.

Cheers mate, I do like the Punto, and its fun to drive, but i just want something thats got great handling (the Punto handles like a bathtub on rollerskates).

I also fancy a change from the turbo, on boost its great, but below 3k its useless, and i find turbos difficult to drive on twisties. I will miss it, but im sure the 172 will do a nice enough job of helping me forget about it quickly enough :cool:

Know what you mean about the handling on the punto mate. Just bought a GT myself and it has nothing on the valver or a 172. Love the feeling of it coming on boost though!!!!!

Id test drive both if i were you, see which one you prefer to sit in. Not sure if you will notice a great deal of difference between them unless driving on the limit. (around a track).

Yeah the GT is a fun car in its own right, but ive had mine for coming up to 2 years now, so its time to move on.

Ive noticed the Cups seem to be more expensive 2nd hand, is there any sign of them dropping into the sub 7k bracket between now and say, April? I know its a lazy question, but i just figured you guys would have a fair idea. If a cup was within my range then i suppose thatd be the top choice, i love the colour too :)