ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

hey computer peoples... slow pc?

my pc keeps gettin really slow lately and says it needs to extend virual memory. now i done virus and ad checks etc. but i remember on my last pc some asked me to copy something up, like my start folder or something then told me there's loads of shiyt in it that should be there and to delete them. if anyone understands what i'm on about. please can u help. lol

ok hard diskes -

HDD(c) -22.9GB free. capacity - 29.9GB
DATA (d) - 100GB free. capacity 111GB

in my startup list i have - 13 thingys listed

mcafee firewall and scanner + spybot and adaware

dont think there is any p**n! (for once)

and i ran that programme, now what do i do with it?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Virus check it . Try and get hold of a copy of spyware doctor and check for spyware , ot just run spybot and adaware , then defrag it .

Clown Car
Try running Disk cleanup, scandisk and defrag.

Go into the windows folder and look for a folder called 'Temp'

Right click and select Arrange Icons By, change to modified, then delete any files/folders that have not been modified in 7 days.

If you are using XP go into c: drive, documents and settings, open the folder with your name on it, click on tools, select folder options, click view tab, select 'radio button' to show hidden files and folders, go back to folder you just opened, open 'local settings' you will find another temp folder in there, carry out above procedure.

cpu-z tells you whats inside your pc, i.e. is there another slot available to put another stick of RAM in, spent £27 on another 512mb stick for mine, made a difference!

Also imagine macafee is quite bulky? I'm sure there are free better alternatives..

3 Series xdrive
Try updating your paging file size, I take it your running xp!! If so…..

Right click “my computer”
Click on “Advanced”
Under “Performance” click on “settings”
Click on “Advanced”
Under “Virtual memory”
Click on “Change”
Change the “initial size” to the same as your “maximum size”
Click set/ok/apply and reboot.

Full Fat 182
Always run virus, spyware/adware checks in Safe Mode. Do this by rebooting and pressing F8 (sometimes F12 if you have a boot menu) before the Windows loading screen appears (best best is to hit F8 a few times untill you see the windows logo). Use the safe mode without networking, wait a few minutes while it loads.

Run a virus check first, then run an adware/spyware scan. It sounds to me like there are services or processes running in the background that are hogging your available memmory or CPU capicity, something I see everyday. More than likely adware, but can be a virus.

If these steps dont fix the problem there are forums on the net dedicated to sorting these problems. Whatever you do dont take it to a computer shop, they will rip you off something rotten.

There are otherways of finding out whats running behind windows, again search google for forums and/or software which will identify the background services and/or processes that are running