ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hi newbie, how reliable is a high miler Clio 182?

rs clio ph1 172
Hi to everyone. Newbie cooking to purchase a 182 but all I can afford is high miler examples so wanted to know how reliable are they and if not what will I be faced with? I have seen 2 advertised so want to be fully prepared before going to see them.
Also never owned a Clio sport so wanted to know how much better the car is than a normal Clio 1.2?

I'd buy a 100+k 182 with a full service history over a 50k 182 with sparse service history every time.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Yep buy an 04/53 Clio 172 & get better value for money

or a mint phase 1

steve

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
ye cant really see the point in buyin a high mile 182, when you could just get a 172 with reasonable miles on for less

Clio dCi65 Dynamique
I'd buy a 100+k 182 with a full service history over a 50k 182 with sparse service history every time.

Seconded! A 120k car serviced every 6months, one lady owner etc will be a better bet than a 90k car driven by Timmy Chav, who has spent £100's on anodised valve caps, pretty rear lights & rally harnesses - but boots the thing from cold & has never changed the oil & filters.... "Get moi 'ands dirty wont I!" " Wheres the bonnet catch anyway?" :D

Also never owned a Clio sport so wanted to know how much better the car is than a normal Clio 1.2?

They're rubbish mate. Not much quicker than a 1.2 to be honest ;)

Joking aside, I went from a 1.2 to 182. As you would expect the car is infinitely better than a 1.2. I wont go into details as it should be pretty obvious why!

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Don't let high mileage put you off.

My mk2 172 is now on 128,800 and runs very well, still on the original clutch- gearbox too. As long as it has a full service record it'll be fine.

My sister has a 182 only on 60k and TBH is a bloody disaster, it keeps on breaking down etc

Clio 172 cup
best 1 of the lot at a decent price range is a clio 172 cup! most looked after ones in great shape keep there price well and sell for more than 182s
172 cup is the lighest, lighter than a 182 cup, slightly lighter than a 182 trophy, only thing thats lets it down is the basic cloth front seats.
only difference from a 182 and 172 (power/engine wise) is the manifold, thats what gives it the extra 10 bhp,
so put a 182 manifold on 172 cup and you will have a slightly quicker car than the top of the range 182 (trophy).
I hada choice out of a clio 182 with 50,000 miles or a 172 cup with 47,000 miles, i chose the 172!!! and with the 172 cup and 182 trophy you get the V6 spoiler!
my mate put a 182 manifold on his phase1, all RS clios are roughly built the same.
and from a 1.2 to RS clio.......cant believe you even asked the question lol. :)

RB182cup&golf gti
Cars are a complete lottery, as mentioned above all depends on how they've been treated (serviced, driven, number of owners, whether been in a crash). Don't rush to buy, take your time and pick the right one.

JoshOm3

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup'182/Rs2'd Trophy
My 182 cup is ticking on lovely and strong at 95k. Doesnt miss a beat and never has it put a foot wrong. Much more reliable than my 19 lol...

As someone said above, take your time when looking and swapping cash for keys... Plenty around..

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Bought mine with 84K on last year. Full service history mostly from main dealer.

Has been pretty reliable up until recently, but for all I know what has gone wrong could have happened to any car I bought. And when I add how much I have spent on repairs to the cost of the car I am still way below the price of a low miler when I was buying.

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
mines just turned 74k and at a recent rolling road day beat a 197, and most others! its all about the service history, mines got full history with rentech and i think it shows

Civic Type R
Just out of curiosity , what is your budget? When I was looking the mileage didn't really have that much effect on price. Make sure its got FULL service history and the Cambelt and Aux belt KITS have been replaced (maybe should of had two changes if very high mileage) .. Theres loads out there for sale at the moment, and some real bargains!!!!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Why would it be called the v6 spoiler if it was on the cup and trophy?

2004 182FF
Bought my 182 on 86,000 in august for £3800... now on 91,000. Full service history with original purchase invoice and every tax disc etc etc.

Non service costs?

£60 for a lambda sensor, fitted myself, and thats it.

It's much, much more reliable than my old 1.2 was. The high milers are a good way to buy IMO... I'd rather buy one thats been used to commute up the motorway all day and every day and put on a lot of miles (as mine has and still is) than one on 40k thats been used by someone just for weekend thrashing.

I do worry about the mileage but in the next 1000 miles I'm going to do a oil change, gearbox oil change, coolant change, new brake fluid and then carry on changing oil every 6k... just to make sure it's as well looked after as possible. Still on the original clutch with no gearbox problems, no dings or dents, no interior wear of any sort.... just cost me less to buy it!

Last edited: