ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hi! Quick question re 172 ff

172 cup
:)

Hi, just introducing myself and a question!

I've always been into Renaults - i started off with a 5 GT Turbo and a 19 16v chamade. In a few weeks i'm going to start seriously looking for a 172 ff on an 02 plate or newer.

Have done plenty of searches re things to look for, and compaired to my old GT Turbo - none seem too scarey!

Having read through a few posts though, some people have had multiple failures of the 172 engine..

Are these mainly freak cases and is the motor as tough as i thought it was, or can it be a bit fragile?

With such a big motor under the clio's bonnet does it get hot under there? Heat was what i think caused alot of the issues on the GT Turbo, but i understand the 172 is probably light years ahead design wise!

I'll post some pics when i get it, one thing i can promice it will be a black FF!

Cheers!

:cheers:

tbh i have not heard of an engine failure thats not cambelt, nos or water getting in through aftermarket induction kit/cold air feed related.

RB 200 Cup!
i had one before my ph1 - never had any probs

and well done on getting a black one - same as i had - bloody beautiful!

172 cup
Thanks for the replies!

Lacey it has to be black i'm afraid!

Are they pretty stable under the bonnet temperature wise in traffic etc?

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
I had one from new and did 40,000 HARD miles in it, never skipped a bit, truely awesome.

RB 200 Cup!
yeah i found with my black ph2 172 she was fine on open country roads and stuck in the rush hour 1mph traffic - all round decent car

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Cambelt failure, otherwise ive never actualy heard of the engine failing, seems to be pretty, dare i say bullet proof

*hug's a big bit of wood*