ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HID kits! (Clio 197)

Hi Guys,

Got a 197 and realy want to upgrade the lights to HID

Been looking at various kits on ebay, think I want around 8000k , 10k and 12k looks way to bright.

Legality of these? also anyone ever tried them? Hard to fit?

Cheers,

Daz

AK

M240i
i've got 8000k in my Mk3 (not quite a 197 but u get the drift lol)

haven't had any trouble with the police etc

i've heard HIDs are only legal tho if you've got projector headlamps...

White Sti Hatch
6k is the highest id go 8k is to blue imo !

Have you got the projector healamps on your car mate ?

Ok then, 6000k, zippo.... easy to fit mate? bumper off job? Also any pictures mate of them on in the dark please mate?

White Sti Hatch
Its a bumper off job mate unless youve got small as fook hands !

Theres a guide i wrote on how to get it off if youve no clue mate ! Also get Slim Ballasts are they can be hidden under the headlights themself !

AK

M240i
Ok then, 6000k, zippo.... easy to fit mate? bumper off job? Also any pictures mate of them on in the dark please mate?

Hid.jpg

Erm mine were easy to fit but i dont have aircon so didnt have any aircon pipes in the way etc..

Last edited:
zippo ;) its a tiny pic mate! lol , any bigger pics?

dont wanna goto hassle of getting them, then some police man telling me they are illegal lol :(

White Sti Hatch
Angel Eye ones look horrid ! best bet is to get onto scrappie n hun the bay for the Projector headlamps (Cornering Headlamps there also known as)

Cheers alan! look bloody brilliant mate! Ordered 8k too! cannot wait now :)

Ill follow the guide on here for bumper removal? take you long mate?

ST
No probs.

I had help from djwjohn from on here mate, he's rather handy with things like that, took around 4 hours in total.

AK

M240i
No mate, just normal headlights.

Cheres Paulie..

didnt realise you were rollin with normal headlights alan :rasp:

f**k off ! 4 hours? Really?

be quicker to find a small guy with small hands lol..

To be fair alan yours looks perfect! Just how I want them too look.

4 hours shocked me too, thought it would be quite straight forward, never mind, im not going to rush it, just going to do it slowly and get it all right! :)

Cannot wait for them now! lol

AK

M240i
found these to photos too..

off
Hidoff.jpg

on
Hidon.jpg

btw - white sidelights are a must once youve got HIDs fitted.. the standard yellow sidelights look awful against them..

Yea, but alan said it took 4 hours and had to take bumper off, so I aint really got time to do until until the weekend!

AK

M240i
easy to fit mate.

Just fitted a set to my mates Fiesta - had to take the housings out of the bumper etc took about half hour tops..

You should have a go at fitting it, if you can take your old bulbs out without taking the bumper off you'll be able to fit them.

White Sti Hatch
thats cause alans a girl !!! bumper is a 10 min job !

jack up, Wheel off, Arch Liner off, 2x 10mm Bolts out - Repeat on other side !

bonnet open, 2x Plastic rivits one either side, 2x 10mm bolts in center

Underside, 2x 10mm bolts on subframe holding on bumper undertray !

Headlights, 4x 10mm bolts holding them in place

Simple as that !!!

EDIT ! Should have got the SlimLine ballasts mate !!

Slimline ballasts? Did not know there was such a thing, lol, dont know where im going to hide these beasts! best place?

Just printed off your bumper removal guide then mate.

Tempted to finish work a bit earlier tommorow and have a go myself!? :S

White Sti Hatch
SlimLin balasts are about 6mm thick compaird to the massic 20mm or somin the standard ones are ! and there easy as hell to hide too !

I got my slimline ones under the headlights themselfs in the hole where the reno Xenon balasts are ment to go

Hi Guys,

Got a 197 and realy want to upgrade the lights to HID

Been looking at various kits on ebay, think I want around 8000k , 10k and 12k looks way to bright.

Legality of these? also anyone ever tried them? Hard to fit?

Cheers,

Daz

They are illegal but you'll get away with them if you're fitting them to projector lights. However if your clio has projector style lights you'll have HIDs anyway (although other car makes use projectors with halogen bulbs which have a asimilar way of controlling the light). So fitting an HID kit to non-projector lights = blinding lights because of the poor light control (see Zippo's pic!!). There's massive light bleed and no real cut-off so you'll be lighting up motorway bridge signs. If you took a photo of a 182 or 197 with factory HIDs at that angle you'd be able to see them lit up but there'd be no glare (unless took took the photo at the beam height).

The K rating isn't a brightness rating, it's a colour temperature and it's actually on an inverse rating, so 8k to 10k to 12k etc gets bluer/purple and dimmer. The brightest is 4300k which is factory. 6000k is bright white/light tinge of blue, any more than that and it'll be obvious a mile off that it's got an aftermarket HID kit on it and might draw attention of the police who I've read are clamping down on this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVuSSdZNsZw

Last edited:

AK

M240i
ive just cable tied my ballests to some part of the engine lol!

Ill get a pic in a min to show u mate..