ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HID Kits

Titanium 182 FF
Would it be illegal to fit one to a mk1 clio?
I have heard that if they aren't self levelling such as the ones fitted to cars in factory as standard then they are illegal.

Titanium 182 FF
im not gona do it on my mk1 there isn't any point but i've always been curious about them.

My mate has 9000K ones in his 3-series Beemer and f**k me they are sooo Bright and very Blue and obviously noticeable.

Do the police notice them?
Anybody had any run ins?

mine dont self level, hence they are illegal i guess..... cough

but they look champion, so result and no, no run ins.

Titanium 182 FF
Ah i see now, so it's all about whether your headlamp casing was designed to accomodate Xenons and whether you get them setup correctly.

And yes 9000k will attract all the wrong attention i'd imagine.

Titanium 182 FF
Even with that youtube clip theres still lots of ambiguity with the whole thing.
He's talking about illegal kits, surely if you buy an 'E' marked kit from a reputed dealer and it passes MOT then nobody can say anything because it passed the alignment test and the light scatter test.

Even with that youtube clip theres still lots of ambiguity with the whole thing.
He's talking about illegal kits, surely if you buy an 'E' marked kit from a reputed dealer and it passes MOT then nobody can say anything because it passed the alignment test and the light scatter test.
agreed...don't think the actual kits are illegal. think your point about he casing is the key. if your casing is not set up for xenons then it seems HIDs would be illegal.

quote taken from scoobynet (N.Ireland)

"Ok guys, here it goes as I know it.

HIDs are not illegal if they are fitted correctly and suited to the headlight type to which they are fitted.
there are some kits that cause scatter and dazzling oncoming cars are "Illegal", those cars with head light type projectors as fitted to bug eye sti's will pass the MOT, cuz its this type of headlight that the HIDs were designed for.

but when fitted to headlights must be aligned and set correctly, the standard lens of normal head lights are much harder to set and reduce scatter from the hids, but if you buy a good HID kit this would not be a problem.

After all new evos, jags, audi, beemers have them fitted at the factory.....
confused.gif
thumb.gif

hope this helps guys, I have the lows and high beams done with HID coversions kits, I have yet to have anyone flash at me and I set my light s up correctly with the correct equipment.
biggrin.gif
"

Titanium 182 FF
agreed...don't think the actual kits are illegal. think your point about he casing is the key. if your casing is not set up for xenons then it seems HIDs would be illegal.

lol but the thing with the casing is that the reason you would be buying a HID Kit would be to upgrade your standard jobbys as they won't be Xenon. Renault for example won't have made the headlamp casings on all clios 'Xenon approved' as Xenons were an option. So it's kind of a no win situation, seems that you won't get pulled though unless they start to clamp down. Which is a plus side.

Da

Less
Yes, the problems begin when HIDs are fitted to a headlight that was only ever meant for Halogen lighting. The lens will scatter the HID and it will never pass a beam test. There is no way of getting them 'set up right' in the wrong headlight.