ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

High Flow or De-Cat....?

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
Will be fitting my BTB exhaust soon and wondered if I should use a high flow or de-cat pipe?

Which one would give the most gains for a BTB exhaust? Would prefer something rather noisy to balance out the quietness of the exhaust.

All comments appreciated.:)

megan R26.R number 006
i don't know much about these things but with a decat there is no restriction so i would think it would give you a small increase in power over the high flow cat but there would not be a grate difference in it so it would be down to the fact weather you can be bothered with tacking the decat off each time your car has a mot or not and also if you want to spend more on a high flow cat

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
Fair point. If the increase/decrese in power is minimal I'd probably settle for a high flow item.

Just want to get the best from the BTB exhaust since I'd like it to develop it's proven 6 h.p.:)

M2 Competition
Guessing by high flow you're referring to a sports cat...

Sports cats dont do much on a 182, as its got a pretty free flowing cat anyway fella. Think its 200 cell as standard, as opposed to the 172's 400 cell cat. Also, sports cats cost a hell of a lot in order to not do much.

If you want gains id go for the decat, but in all honesty for the hassle id leave it standard.

Decat is the way forward, saying that I am at this point in time having a 182 manifold and cat converter fitted to my cup. Only reason being they not MOT legal iirc.

M2 Competition
Decats arent in themselves illegal. Using a car on the road that cant pass an emissions test is however.

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
So a de-cat is the most likely way of increasing performance? What de-cat should I go for?

So a de-cat is the most likely way of increasing performance? What de-cat should I go for?

Personally i would just go for the cheapest as in effect there all the same thing (piece of scafolding lol)

There are silenced ones around but iv never seen one available brand new

a thirsty one
yeah the 182 comes with a 200cell cat as opposed to a more common 400cell the sports cats are quite expensive and are about 120cells, i would rather save the money and get a decat.

i have a yozza decat mated to a btb exhaust and im happy with the sound, also the yozza kit was very well made and its surprising how much work needs to go into a good decat for the perfect fit.

clio 182,ff + 1.5 dci
Is it true that when you put a de cat on a 172-182 that the engine managment light comes on, and stays on.

Is it true that when you put a de cat on a 172-182 that the engine managment light comes on, and stays on.

They all do at some point 172 can be stopped by unplugging the second sesnor the 182 all with at some time just need to clear it or get a few good clean starts again.

Personaly I'd get a sports cat if you realy want to chanage but realy I'd keep the stock one anyway.

Rsport182Cup'd
i thought they were meaning that the 182 could infact loose power as although the light is not on for lambda sensor bank 2 that the ecu is wondering why the fuel etc etc.

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
I'll probably go for a Yozzasport de-cat. They do seem rather well made. Is there any others which do the job better?

i thought they were meaning that the 182 could infact loose power as although the light is not on for lambda sensor bank 2 that the ecu is wondering why the fuel etc etc.

Nope the second sensor just affects emmiions warning light not power.

Clio 197
I had a de-cat on my Cup, it made no noticable gains and sounded WAY too loud... i took it off and sold it

Depends on the rest of your exhaust.

I was pleased with a blueflame decat on a std exhaust system. Not extra loud, just extra raspy.

There was a bit of a difference at the top end.

I've personally never had the engine management light come on.

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
I had a de-cat on my Cup, it made no noticable gains and sounded WAY too loud... i took it off and sold it

I was pleased with a blueflame decat on a std exhaust system. Not extra loud, just extra raspy.

Thanks for advice. The really odd thing is that 30 seconds ago, just bought the Yozzasport decat. Most seem happy with em'. Hopefully I will be too!:)

Clio 197

Thanks for advice. The really odd thing is that 30 seconds ago, just bought the Yozzasport decat. Most seem happy with em'. Hopefully I will be too!:)

They're built to a higher standard... but nobody will really see it under the car, lol.

There's a slight bend in the YS decat which makes it fit better, so I suppose there's a functional advantage too.

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi

They're built to a higher standard... but nobody will really see it under the car, lol.

There's a slight bend in the YS decat which makes it fit better, so I suppose there's a functional advantage too.

Sounds good.

I'm hoping it's gonna give a bit more noise to the exhaust, currently a BTB, but yet to fit it.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
  Lionel Richie

if you don't have the bend (well its a slight kink) then it causes the tail pipes to sit off centre