ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

High Mileage

Legacy GTB
Hey, just wondering what sort of mileage these 182's can manage?

Within my budget most cars are coming in at around the 100k mark.

If properly maintained is this an issue? I know german and jap motors don't really suffer with high miles but I'm relatively new to the french/renault scene...

Thanks,
Mark

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
There are plenty on 160k plus.

A few on over 200k.

Providing they're looked after the F4R is up there with one of the most reliable engines out there IMO.

1.7 cdti
High mileage ?? For a 10 ish year old car . Unless it's one of the last 182 ' s then it's going to be average mileage .

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
About to tip 150k on my Ph1 which is about 10k miles a year-ish. Looked after and an oil change every 10k miles and belts doen at the correct intervals.

clio 182 trophy
Mine is on 106k and whilst taking it easy on my way to and from leicester last week, returned 48mpg. Cracking cars for the money they go for these days.

steve32c

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
My old 05 182 prior to dealer cam belt **** up was on 157000 sold it on 164000 I believe it's still knocking about on here

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
It's all about the oil changes. If done on time and with correct oil then they will go on and on. Looked after mass produced petrol cars 20 years ago were getting into the mid 150's or more in some cases. Even the CVH if you changed the cam when it wore could still be going at 120,000. Obviously if an engine is used hard or sudjected to constant cold starts and short journeys then a reduction in life is to be expected. I haven't seen a Smokey sport on or off track yet in my area. Some nasty looking examples as well.

Wack it in 3rd do a 30-70 pull. If it's under 9 seconds the engines mid-range guts are still there. If it's closer to 8 it's loosened up nicely with age.

182FF
Seen some going on eBay for £1500 last 2 week, fsh tax & test. Between 75k & 95k miles.

Obviously have a look before you blind bid!

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Wack it in 3rd do a 30-70 pull. If it's under 9 seconds the engines mid-range guts are still there. If it's closer to 8 it's loosened up nicely with age.

Did it in about 6-7seconds....not sure my counting was accurate though, ideally need someone sat next to me with a stop watch. Engine is standard too and in need of an oil change as well.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Things that kill these cars dont include sitting on long motorway journeys.

If you have two of them, one at 100K and one at 40K and both the same age, if the 40K is from town driving it will be the one with the dephasor hanging out of it.

Dont be put off at all, some of the best ones I have driven have been high miles.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Did it in about 6-7seconds....not sure my counting was accurate though, ideally need someone sat next to me with a stop watch. Engine is standard too and in need of an oil change as well.
Yes a friend with a stop watch would be advisable. It's a ball park time anyway but counting 1 elephant etc is taking it a bit far! Also doing it on your own when you should be concentrating on your driving is asking for trouble :)

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Things that kill these cars dont include sitting on long motorway journeys.

If you have two of them, one at 100K and one at 40K and both the same age, if the 40K is from town driving it will be the one with the dephasor hanging out of it.

Dont be put off at all, some of the best ones I have driven have been high miles.
Always wondered if the lower switch point would give the dephaser a hard time in traffic. What about the higher one with track use? Upper is 6.5k isn't it?

Just curious.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Always wondered if the lower switch point would give the dephaser a hard time in traffic. What about the higher one with track use? Upper is 6.5k isn't it?

Just curious.

Hitting the limiter with it switched off is potentially quite bad for it, cleanly revving through it though I dont think will be an issue as its under constant tension so not rattling about like it does at idle where the engine is a lot less smooth.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Hitting the limiter with it switched off is potentially quite bad for it, cleanly revving through it though I dont think will be an issue as its under constant tension so not rattling about like it does at idle where the engine is a lot less smooth.
Thanks! I'll keep a closer eye on the rev counter. It just doesn't drop off in the way previous cars have.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
This is the aux belt rather than the cambelt, but it still shows how the belt tension comes and goes so dramatically during the rev limiter.

http://bangshift.com/bangshift1320/...king-drag-strip-watch-happens-belt-tensioner/
Saw that video the last time you posted it :) Already made me wary of the limiter!
I just don't understand why the cup with it's peak power supposedly at 6250rpm is still pulling at 7250rpm. Or at least pulling well enough to make a 6500rpm change seem like a worse course of action. The 182 we had was very similar in performance but seemed less happy to chase the redline and happier to pull the earlier changes. Maybe it's because I drive diesels and I've been numbed by the hideous torque drop off you get towards the point of any useful rpm. A stage 2 re-mapped HDI can manage a sub 6sec 30-70 pull in just 3rd but struggles to do 0-100 in under 20. Lack of revs and poo gearing don't help. Ah well. Enough thread hogging! Thanks for the advice :)