ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

High RPM blast

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
So to make it clear, I don't race. Or drive wrecklessley however sometimes I like to put my foot down. Just got myself a 172 cup and everytime I go for a blast I feel bad. Sounds tragic right? But I do feel it can't be good for the car. Poor thing. I can't help it though, it's just so much fun!. Can't be good for it?

I don't want to end up with a sack of potatoes for an engine!

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
So long as you're not holding it on the limiter all the time, don't worry. Clios are very rev-happy so don't really mind being driven at high RPM.

Simply enjoy the car ;)

Clio Sport 172 Ph2
As said.... there built for it...... i drives mine quiet for a few days.... then gives it some action..... & i thinks Yessssssss awesome :)

LY R26 #288
I used to feel bad but that feeling wears off after a while. I give it hell and don't even think twice about it now lol

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
As said once the oil is up to temperature, let it have it all the way round the rev range- with out bouncing off the limiter obviously. ;)

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
Probably thank you for it as it stops the build up of crap from not using it to the full :)

RB Clio 182
I love the strong engines in these. in my corsa vxrs i was constantly waiting for piston 4 to go pop.

Last edited:
  ST
Every RS I've had I've drove it like I stole it, they love a bit of stick, if maintained properly they'll run perfectly. On a club run one night I drove my R27 so hard the emissions light stayed on until Reno could take the car in to reset it lol.

120d M Sport
I used to feel bad about giving cars some stick but these french motors are pretty tough. Just keep the oil changes regular and let it warm up and you're good to roll

GW Stage 2 R26
If you feel bad about that get yourself a dc2 teg and take it to the red line in every gear.. That really does feel wrong!

FF Racing Blue 182
Would you say after a 20 mile drive it should have warmed up ? Tried three times and wouldn't go above 7k

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Definitely mate should be ready for a good blast by then.

Funny thread bump as I have been feeling bad lately for high reving it, feel like I'm going to blow the thing up. Maybe because I never had a Clio with an exhaust before so seems to really scream.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
Would you say after a 20 mile drive it should have warmed up ? Tried three times and wouldn't go above 7k

try changing the thermostat, they can stop them from warming up properly and keep the car on cold map

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I'll be out on track in ours today and probably get near the limiter in a few places, which in our case is 7850rpm. (We've got arps and super techs but more or less standard other than that)

It does wear the engine more, and it does increase the chance of a dramatic failire, but not enough that it should put you off doing it.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Mine also gets seriously abused every weekend. Its when you keep it above 5k it really comes into its own!

Although i am waiting for it to go bang any time soon, its at 113k now and the previous owners treated it the same as me i believe!

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Mine gets abused on a daily basis. Probably hits limiter at least once a day lol.

It gets looked after though and its still going strong on 94k.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Every petrol car I've driven will see within top 1k of its rev range at least every time I drive it, my focus wouldn't move if i didn't.

FF Racing Blue 182
It's been my ownly car since August, pain!

Nice car to drive and i still think the shape i have is better than that new shape that replace it recently

Going to Renault on Monday for the thermostat and i take it that's what i ask for