ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

High temp paint or stone chip spray for exhaust boxes ?

I need to get my exhaust boxes painted up again as they look a mess :dapprove: I had them sprayed up with high temp paint about five years ago, but shortly after they were done the paint started to chip off, now they are a lot worse.

What should I go with now ? Is the stone chip sheild spray stuff any good ? Is it high temp / OK to use on them?
Or am I best off going with high temp paint again & high temp laquer ?

I won't be polishing the boxes up as they are a bit scabby, I'd prefer to just get them painted up.

This is what it looked like when done, they are a mess now!

cliov62308087Medium.jpg

Cup In bits
VHT black..... sorted, it grabs onto things better than stonechip paint I have used in the past plus stonechip is slightly rubberised and could go on fire.

I had VHT in VBlack before, it didn't last long though :( I don't know how many coats it was given as I didn't do it.

Cup In bits
Quick rub down with scotchbrite for a key and then paint it, warm the exhaust right through before moving off as it will bake the paint on.

Was it actual VHT paint or just some generic high temp stuff? I guess you won't know as you never done it.

Cheers, it was VHT stuff I got it from Burton Performance (Ford tuners) I supplied the paint, but didn't do it.

How many coats do you reckon? will I need a primer or am I goot to go once the boxes are cleaned up? How do I prevent it from getting chippied in the future ?

I was half tempted to box them in or get the MK2 plastic, but it's expensive.