ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Higher Octane Petrol for NA engines

Clio v6 & Atom 300

Anyone noticed any power gains running on 97RON(Super), 98RON(Optimax) or even Tesco 99RON?

As per username my car is a V6, but ive come from turbo-land where this gets debated all the time.

My user-manual helpfully states 95 or 98 (preferable).

Cheers

Peter:)

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

98 optimax is the best.Ive run mine on it from new.My old 172 had noticable gains from using it over 95ron.

Stay away from supermarket petrol.I used to notice a 4mpg difference over standard too.So it pays for itself and looks after your engine better

ian

I usually run sainsburys 98ron as it seems pretty good. I tried tescos 99ron for a tank and didnt notice any difference but when I put it in my mums 2.0 celica that had been running 95, the difference was staggering.

Spec C 12.5@110 (345/355)

Just to let you know, Tesco customer services have admitted (on ScoobyNet) that their 99 Ron petrol is infact only 98.

This is the SECOND threadon this today.

Unless your car is designed to run on higher octane fuels, ie mapped for it, then there will be NO difference

Fiesta ST Stage 3

Dont get Texaco for god sake what ever you do . When i had to put it in my 172 it did not like it one bit .

Quote: Originally posted by Lunner on 14 September 2005

This is the SECOND threadon this today.

Unless your car is designed to run on higher octane fuels, ie mapped for it, then there will be NO difference
unless youve got a knock sensor in which case the ECU will adjust itself for higher octane fuel and advance the ignition timing. otherwise it is pointless and will lose power rather than gain it since it burns slower (were talking tiny differences, but a difference all the same)

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

On the couple of occassions Ive had to put 95ron in mine, it idled really roughly, and was a pain in stop-start traffic...smooth progress was much harder than usual.

But with the Vs smoothness, Id doubt youd notice that.

MERCEDES CLS AMG

i notice a dramatic improvement on running Optimax - i know my clio is a turbo but even with a normally aspirated engine you should notice the difference. If you want to try something different try some "Cool Blue" 103 octane or even some 108 octane american racing fuel ( pm me for number )