ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Petrol again but not the usual questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
  Clio 1970000000
A bit of advice please. I am going to be putting the good stuff in when I next fill up (so this is not about 95 vs 98 ron etc) and live near an Esso garage. Their super is 97 ron and the Shell garage a few miles away has vpower 99ron. On the petrol cap it says 98ron so which do I go for?

On the same subject (and please answer only if you have used both 95 and 98 ron petrol), will I notice better pick up or is it just the cleaning properties?

Thanks

Passat 170 DSG Wagon
I havn't put much fuel in the 182 since I've had it so can only go with my last car, a Civic Sport. I used standard Shell Unleaded for a while then tried the Vpower and never looked back. It made the car feel much smoother and gave better response and a slight increase in MPG. At the minute it's Vpower thats in the 182 but I can't compare that to any others yet.

Clio 197
I used to get better MPG from the 97 than the 99.

I believe it's due to the fast that tesco 99 conained a lot of ethanol which actually contains 30% less energy than petrol (per litre) - therefore it was a less econimical fuel to use.

Furthermore, I didn't 'feel' any benefits when driving.

The BEST super unleaded is sainsbury's IMO - only 3p per litre more than normal unleaded, but you'll probsbly get an extra 20-30 miles per tank.

Oms. :)

Barge
Used to use Vpower every time. One day I used regular and found there was jot all in it. Think I used Tesco 99 once, again noticed nothing. I'll fill up every one in four with Vpower to ensure it gets it's share of cleaning agents (or so they say). It'll be unlikely to improve MPG that drastically, the driving conditions effect that!

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Got to lol at people who think Vpower does more to clean your engine than standard shell.

http://www.shell.co.uk/home/content...unleaded_maingrade_pkg/overview/overview.html
Designed to help keep your engine clean

To operate at their best, engines require the precise amount of air and fuel to enter the engine and be mixed together at the right time.

With some fuels, deposits may form over time on the back of the inlet valves. This can lead to delays in the required fuel charge entering the engine and a poor mix of fuel and air, reducing the engine’s performance.

Shell Unleaded has been formulated to help prevent the build-up of these deposits, and to help maintain your engine’s performance.

http://www.shell.co.uk/home/content...ad/fuels/v_power_pkg/tech_spec/tech_spec.html
While driving, deposits can develop around a car engine’s inlet valves, impeding the air flow and reducing power. Shell V-Power is designed to reduce the build-up of deposits and help remove existing ones, enabling the fuel to burn more effectively. This effective deposit control can help keep a new engine running like new for longer. Shell V-Power can also help rejuvenate older engines.

:rolleyes:

Barge
All hype and a chance to charge 5p plus more per ltr. I don't recall ever noticing a difference in performance.

Track 172 & Golf R32
All hype and a chance to charge 5p plus more per ltr. I don't recall ever noticing a difference in performance.

havent they done tests though to prove? i mean to me it sounds like hype i still run my car on it though..

my last car used to 'pink' :S when i didnt run it on super

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
I use Vpower purely because it runs better on it. Doesnt increase fuel economy though and I only do 8000 miles a year so I don't care about the extra cost.

S4 Avant
the petrol myth is all to do with the fuel igniting prematurely under compression. The higher the octane, the more pressure it is able to withstand without igniting. Supposedly.
In a 2 litre clio engine, you won't notice the difference. In something turbo charged or running high compression, lower octane fuel will kill the power.

GTD, Lupo
I remmeber they did tests and only super high powered cars noticed a difference, amd the ECu had to be reset every test so its calculated the mix correctly so putting in every 4th time is just wasting money. Wont make feck all of a difference in a clio. As for the cleaning agents i think thats just a sales pitch as my first car was a sierra and that thing had been round the world a couple of times and that just had regular fuel in it, its whole life.

Imo

Gorms

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I've tried all the different ones and prefer total's excellium (97), makes the car feel slightly more responsive but it is probably in my head.

For the little extra it costs, how little I fill up and the fact there is a total in my village I go along with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.