ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hire a teleconverter or a lens?

dk

911 GTS Cab
i'm off to antarctica in 5 weeks and need to decide on what equipment i'm going to take.

As its going to involve wildlife i think i need something longer than what i have.

I have a 70-200F4 L canon on a 7D.

So i was thinking about hiring a 1.4x tc, or hiring a 28-300 F3.5-5.6 IS L instead. If i hire the converter i'll be taking my 17-55 F2.8 or my 24-70 F2.8L, but if i just hire the 28-300 i won't need those i'm guessing, but the lens is bloody heavy!

any advice on what i should do.

Looking at hiring from lensesforhire and its about £60 for 2 weeks of the TC or £180 for the lens. Will the lens be ok with what i'm guessing will be 5.6 instead of its normal 4 with the tc on, and i don't have the IS version.

thanks!

275 Trophy
Worst 'I'm going to a continent that you poor sods won't ever see' post ever. ;)

I'd hire the TC TBH. Or a proper 'tele - 400mm F/4. The lens should AF fine with the TC at f/5.6. Summer there soon yeah, so should be plenty of light? Just be carful of under exposing your shots with all that white snow/ice.

Jealous!

dk

911 GTS Cab
lol, i didn't know how to put it without making it sound like that.

just been looking again and theres also the option of the new 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS too, that would be about £130 and i'm lead to believe is better than a 200 with tc and will give me IS.

What i need to do is limit what i take as i've got some pretty strict weight limits on luggage etc.

don't really want to take a 400mm as i'll need a lot in between, and i don't know how close or far away from things i'll be, so i need the zoom to give me options.

I'm thinking the 70-300 is a best bet at the moment, and if its a great lens i then might chop my 70-200 in for one, so kind of like a try before i buy.

The only thing i'm cautious about is that my 70-200 is absolutely pin sharp, the lens i hire might need micro adjustments which i don't really want to be messing with the day before i go.

Thehire place is only 10 mins from me though so its convenient for me to collect the lens and not worry about delivery etc.

Oil Burner
On a 7d i would probably go with a TC as the AF should walk that.

I would probably still look at hiring a 300 2.8 + tc though. Heavy yes, but well worth it i would say.

The 28-300 is a pretty heavy lump, more so than the rest of the push/pull series. Lots of people like them, but the one i tried was rubbish. Very soft. But I'm pretty sure it was a poor example.

Cupra
I also had a go with a 28-300 and had the same experience as Nick. The IQ was poor and the thing is silly heavy. I'd go for a 100-400 over it.

The 17-55 should definitely come along just for the wide(ish) angle landscapes.

Look forward to seeing the shots when you get back. It's somewhere I'd love to go to!

2.2 bar shed.
The f**k you going to antarctica for? 10/22 - 24/70 - 100/400? Should have all bases covered?

dk

911 GTS Cab
Because its going to be an amazing trip!

If you saw frozen planet last night, it's beautiful.

I have a 10-22, and a 24-70, it's just the zoom I'm trying to decide on.

2.2 bar shed.
Oh im not saying why are you going as in its a s**t hole, im saying for what reason? Just because you can? Or is it on the back of research? As above, grab the 100 - 400 dust pump, should serve you well and you wont need a TC. If anything I'd think about having two bodies, then you dont have to change things out in the cold?

dk

911 GTS Cab
Oh im not saying why are you going as in its a s**t hole, im saying for what reason? Just because you can? Or is it on the back of research? As above, grab the 100 - 400 dust pump, should serve you well and you wont need a TC. If anything I'd think about having two bodies, then you dont have to change things out in the cold?

It's an incentive trip I was asked to go on with work, there are 50 of us going, not to do any work, just a free 2 week holiday for working my tits off for the past year :)

I have a 7d and 50d, but as said, luggage is already very tight. I'm only allowed 15kg for a case, and I have to take a lot of cold whether gear so it's going to be nearly impossible.

I'm thinking about lending my 50d to someone else on the trip to use maybe.