ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

hissing from expansion cap??

Fiesta Zetec
Hi guys, After a run I opened bonnet to check a few things and noticed a slight hissing noise from my expansion cap, Im guessing the seal is knackered, I know these are dead cheap but I have one or two questions, Could this be a reason for coolant level going slowly down? Also could the thermostat be a reason for the coolant level going slowly down??

Thanks in advance for any input

M235i / 172
The system must be pressurised, thats how it stops the coolant boiling over at 100 Oc If youve got a leak then get it sorted asap. And depending on how much of a leak your talking, over a period of time the water level would drop because its allowing the water vapour to get away, this would take a LONG time though so doubt its your problem.

As for the stat, i dont understand why you think this would cause you to lose water? its in a sealed housing in your coolant system.. so why would that cause a problem?

ValverInBits
You should never over tighten those caps. They are not designed to hold a lot of pressure. You'd rather you lost water out the cap on the motorway than out of a hose.

I've heard of people loosing water out of the cap and then pissing in the system to top it back up to get them home.
As long as it's nearly water, it'll do the trick. ;)

Fiesta Zetec
Not sure of my problem then, ill change the cap anyway to be safe. The radiator is fairly new as in 3 or 4 months old and hoses all seem fine. Recently had cambelt & waterpump changed, coolant seems to go down 1cm over a couple of days, not sure how much the mechanic refilled after the waterpump change though as he only asked me to supply 2 litres.

CONFUSED

ValverInBits
right well It sounds like your headgasket has gone and your rad fan doesent kick in properly.
Get any funny smelling thick white smokey steam out the exhaust? any oil in your water (will float to the top)?

Fiesta Zetec
right well It sounds like your headgasket has gone and your rad fan doesent kick in properly.
Get any funny smelling thick white smokey steam out the exhaust? any oil in your water (will float to the top)?

Rad fan kicks in ok and temp never ever goes up high. No smoke or steam from exhaust and no visable oil in water

More confused lol

E92 M3 Monte Carlo
my valver kept pressurising the water system and it was the headgasket,it blew a hole in the rad in the end

Fiesta Zetec
Yeah I thought that so today I started up with cap off, heaters on max and ran for a bit to try and get rid of any air. Then topped up to required level. Hopefuly this will make a difference. Any other ideas??

E92 M3 Monte Carlo
soon as mine got warm the water would bubble but had no other headgasket signs,the water gallery's where been pressurised

Fiesta Zetec
Surley I would have other symptoms if the headgasket was on its way out??

If not should I replace it now before anything worse happens??