ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hit a brick and oil pissing out!

Clio sport 182 RB
Drove over a brick that fell off a lorry and oil pissing out, managed to get home but there’s no oil in the car now.

Could it have fucked the sump!?

Go on holiday tomorrow so will have to sort it when I get back. Fuming!

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
If you ran it out of oil you could well have lunched the engine, deffo wouldn't take that car on Holiday.

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
General rule of thumb - knocking/rattling bottom end.

Sounds like you have smashed the sump. Replace it, fresh oil and keep your fingers and toes crossed.

If no good I have a grand here for the car 🤦‍♀️😂

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Is it worth getting the sump sorted etc then finding out? It’s was starting to rattle as I got home

Chances are it's done then.

You could get it recovered to a garage and get them to remove the rod caps and check the bearings.

Do you have a dash cam, hopefully captured the brick falling off the offending wagon?

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
This was always a fear of mine when I ran my Golf pretty much as low as you can possibly go whilst still being able to drive it. I had spacers to raise the sump, chassis notches etc the whole works. The general rule of thumb was ‘if you can see a trail of oil in your rear view mirror, it’s too late’

This happened to 2 of my mates and I’m pretty sure they had to get new engines. 🙈😂

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
You could get another engine for £500 ish but it would probably need belts doing for that price.

Then labour on top... You're looking at £1000 minimum.

Might be worth seeing what insurance say. Probably a £3.5-4k car privately and £2.5-3k as insurance will see it.

Clio sport 182 RB
You could get another engine for £500 ish but it would probably need belts doing for that price.

Then labour on top... You're looking at £1000 minimum.

Might be worth seeing what insurance say. Probably a £3.5-4k car privately and £2.5-3k as insurance will see it.
Yeah I’ll see what they say when I take it in. Thanks

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Get underneath and take a photo of the sump. Itll be pretty obvious.

Did the oil light come on at any point? Alongside the STOP sign? If it didnt you'll he fine.

Clio sport 182 RB
Get underneath and take a photo of the sump. Itll be pretty obvious.

Did the oil light come on at any point? Alongside the STOP sign? If it didnt you'll he fine.
No stop sign came on but the oil light did at the end

406 V6, Race Buggy
The oil pressure light is set so low unless you were toddling along with next to no load and turned it off immediately it'd be fucked by the time you turned off anyway.

Why on earth would you drive it home with oil pissing out if you were only 5 minutes away instead of walking?!

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
The oil pressure light is set so low unless you were toddling along with next to no load and turned it off immediately it'd be fucked by the time you turned off anyway.

Why on earth would you drive it home with oil pissing out if you were only 5 minutes away instead of walking?!
That's not true. The oil light comes on with about a litre of oil missing.

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
What a nightmare, gutted for you. As above though, I'd let insurance write it off, buy it back and use the money to get a new engine. A shame you didn't pull over and get recovered rather than driving home, but what's done is done, try not to beat yourself up about it too much.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Itll be more or less terminal if its been rattling, you have seconds to stop the engine if you damage the sump like that. Once oil light comes on its game over usually, however i had an oil cooler hose fail on my old astra gte years ago, and i stopped it when oil light came on and it somehow survived but did not strip engine to see if any damage. Trail of oil about a mile long behind it.

Sump off and pull the caps off one at a time to see the damage. If the bottom end has survived, then the top end will have suffered some trauma for sure.

Clio sport 182 RB
What a nightmare, gutted for you. As above though, I'd let insurance write it off, buy it back and use the money to get a new engine. A shame you didn't pull over and get recovered rather than driving home, but what's done is done, try not to beat yourself up about it too much.
What would be the cost of buying it back so you think?

Not a Diesel!!!

ClioSport Club Member
  LY Meg Cup-S + MX5
Sorry about your dilemma. I live on an unadopted road and once every 6m someone goes down it to quick and gets a suspension compression at point where there is a prominent flint.

If Insurance route the best?

Sounds like a pretty tidy car that probably appreciating a little over the coming years. Once written off thats out the window?

And Insurance be a bit more expensive for the next few years protected ncb or not.

If we are talking £1000-£1500 is it better not to swallow that?

Guess it depends if you have the ££ to fix or you need the money to move forward.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Easiest and most inexpensive thing to do would be to pull the sump and inspect the big ends. If they’re not damaged check the mains and if they’re also good, replace/repair the sump, new oil and filter… see how it goes. The only thing you’ll waste is your time.

If the bearings/crank is scored, write the engine off. The cost to rebuild the bottom end Vs a used engine is major, unless you’re doing it yourself.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
What would be the cost of buying it back so you think?

Entirely depends on the insurer. You don't have an automatic right to buy it back so you may have to buy it back through salvage auction. I had to do that a few years back.

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
OK, look - we KNOW nothing yet.

Yes, it's probably toast, but not 100%. Let the garage have a snoop - won't hurt to have a new sump plonked on and oil refilled to hear the score. It's hardly expensive that way.

The rattling may have just been gobby valves up top, so don't count it as dead just yet.

Sump, oil, try and then decide its fate.

Clio sport 182 RB
OK, look - we KNOW nothing yet.

Yes, it's probably toast, but not 100%. Let the garage have a snoop - won't hurt to have a new sump plonked on and oil refilled to hear the score. It's hardly expensive that way.

The rattling may have just been gobby valves up top, so don't count it as dead just yet.

Sump, oil, try and then decide its fate.
Yeah that’s what I’m going to do. See what happens, what’s done is done