ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hnadbrake cable snapped

Clio MK 4
Pulled it up and heard a loud bang and now the handbrake is loose and goes up very far. It kinda still holds on slight hill but anything a bit steeper and it rolls back. How much am i looking at to get a new cable with fitting?

Gav_r26

ClioSport Club Member
  2006 Megane R26
Depends which bit has broken. Its in 3 sections i think. One from the lever to the rear footwell area then has a joint and a cable to each rear calliper. The rear sections which i assume it would be or it would do bugger all are circa £25 each and an hours labour to fit. Well thats what it is on a phase one as mine is going in for one on Thursday as well as a bearing. So trying to lay under it and do that myself!

Clio MK 4
just been told £160 for both cables fitted!! Not even at a renault garage but they said only able to get it from renault.

Clio MK 4
how much u get quoted? Brought the car in today and they wont have the cables till friday. Got to really plan on where i'm parking with no handbrake lol

S4 Avant
If it still holds a bit, it sounds like you've snapped one of the cables that goes from the centre exhaust heat shield, to the caliper itself.

Get under the car and see if the cables to the calipers are tight.

Golf GTD Mk7
how can you tell it's frail? Easy to refit to be honest. Just jack it up and give it a go. Loosen off the middle sections, slide out the cable and replace. You might need to take the rear wheel off to get better access, but you shouldn't need to.

Clio MK 4
quick question. shouldn't leaving it in gear stop it from rolling? Because i tested it today and the car still rolled back. At a slower pace but still was moving?

LoL then you better put the spark plugs back in or get a compression test.

On a moderate incline the engine will hold it.

It was a joke. Take the plugs out and you have no compression, meaning the car would roll. Put it in a low gear and it will not roll anywhere. If it does, there's something seriously wrong with your car :)

No. It was a joke. If compression was that low it wouldn't even start. In gear, it will roll a few inches before the engine takes the strain. Go and try it again dude.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
both mine snapped i had to wait 3 months for genuine renault ones as none of the patern part ones fitted even tho they listed 2.0 172/182 i paid about £90 supplyed and fitted for both but that was about a year and a half ago