ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Home audio help please?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Its a 4 channel amp. I only have 2 speakers though.

It also has a sub output on the back of it, which I am using.

I don't really understand any of what you asked me.

Like I said, gimmicks are not my thing. I just like my music.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
ah right, sorry :) I install home cinema's so am always interested in the capabilities of equipment I havent yet come across myself.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
The link I posted does say 2 speaker outputs.

But if you click on the specification part, it states 2 pairs of speakers, which would explain why it has 4 outputs on the back of the stereo.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
They will be for your A and B speaker zones (if you decided to have more than one zone). Does it drive both outputs at the same time? Handy if you want to have another set of speakers in another room.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Just read the manual for the amp and it dosnt mention a sub out. Are you drving the sub off the spare speaker output? If so, does the sub simulate a 4-8ohm load? if not, it could damage the amp. Im asuming your not using the record output else the column of the sub wouldnt go up and down with the amp. This amp really isnt ment to be used with a sub (thats clear after reading the manual).

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Not a bad system but an odd choice with the amp. As Fatty has pointed out it's not really designed to be used with a sub.

I'd also say the sales man was wrong to describe an AV amp as gimmicky although the amp you have should have better quality amps in it compared to a £300 AV with having less of them.

Make sure the cross over on the back of the sub isn't set too high and enjoy!

Chav Rocket
Most british built amps are using toroidal transformers.

Great amp choice there, i used to have one of the older ones.

I think the RS guy was spot on. If you're more for listening to CD's then a 2.1 system with a stereo amp is the way to go. Less circuitry = more quality.

Its think that amp you can take a rca from the recording pre out. The only issue would be that the sub level wont change with the volume pot. Ill guess thats what dan has done.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
if he is using the record out, then it defeats the object of a volumn control tbh! I think richersounds have given him a bit of a bum stear selling him a sub with an amp thats designed to work in a 2.0 configuration.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Becasue that amp is designed to work in a 2.0 configuration. That is, it was designed to work with 2 full range speakers of a resonable size. Using a sub with it kind of makes cambridges efforts at perfect sound reproduction from a single amp a little pointless. Amps that are designed to work with subs have a special 'sub out', which is a single channel line level output. This output can be adjusted on the amp to redirect all the lower frequencies to the sub only (leaving your L/R speakers to get on with re-producing a clearer mid/hi frequency).

Like I said before, if you have the sub linked up to the record output of the amp, then the volumn of the sub wont go up/down with the main volumn control, which is not very useful as the sub level cannot them be matched. If you have the sub connected to the spare speaker output, you need to make sure the sub is set to simulate a 4 to 8 hom load, else it will damage the amp. Using a sub off the speaker output is a very low quality way of doing it, as it amplifys all the amp hiss/thd etc (thats why it is avoided in car installations as well).

I personally would not sell someone an amp that is designed to work in a 2.0 configuration a sub woofer to go with it; the 2.0 amp paired with the correct speakers will produce a better quality of sound without a sub (as it was ment to do). Sub woofers (besides from in-car installations, as the component speakers in a car are not capable of LFE in door enclosures), are normally used in AV (audio video) setups. In a DD5.1 or DTS signal (DD5.1 is the main soundtrack format on 99% of DVD/BD's), there is a dedicated channel/track for the LFE (low frequency emmitter), which is normally the sub. If your not using a signal with a '.1' audio track, then post processing needs to be done to split the signal (can be done with a crossover).

Hope this helps, I have tried to keep it simple, so let me know if I need to go into more detail :)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
But I'll only use the sub for watching films, so does it really matter?

The type of music I listen to, and particularly the volume I listen at, does not need any boom boom, the speakers provide more than enough.

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
How good are the Dalis? Looking to replace my Missions on my PC with some...?

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
it defeats the point of buying this amp; you didnt need the sub with this amp with the correct matched speakers. Its just odd that you have opted for such an amp based on sound quality, but then effectivly ruin it by not using the correct speakers and pairing it with a sub. Its a bit like buying a Ferrari, putting 14inch steel wheels on it and a halfords aftermarket exhuast. They guy in the shop should have been showing you only AV amps if he knew you wanted it for tv/films and at least should have shown you amps with dedicated sub-woofer outputs knowing you wanted a sub woofer.

Obviously dosnt matter if your happy (which goes for anything in life obviously) and your not using the second output to the sub with anything other than a 4-8ohm simulated load (you havent indicated how you haev the sub hooked up yet).

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
The sub is connected via 'rec out' which is how it said to do it in the manual.

Re the amp and speakers, he personally recommended both for good quality music.

I turn the sub on for the kids films.

I dont really understand why you think they don't go together.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
they dont go together becasue a record out is not for driving a sub. The manual says to connect the sub to a'pre-out', this is not the same as a record out. A pre-out is the output before the amplification stage. i.e, it is controlled by the volumn control. How you have it will not turn the sub up/down with the volumn of the amp, which means everytime you want to either A. use the sub, or B. adjust the volumn when the subs on, you will have to manually adjust the sub volumn to match.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
they dont go together becasue a record out is not for driving a sub. The manual says to connect the sub to a'pre-out', this is not the same as a record out. A pre-out is the output before the amplification stage. i.e, it is controlled by the volumn control. How you have it will not turn the sub up/down with the volumn of the amp, which means everytime you want to either A. use the sub, or B. adjust the volumn when the subs on, you will have to manually adjust the sub volumn to match.

since yesterday, the kids have watched two films and I've watched one and I've not had to adjust the volume on the sub at all since the initial setup.

I turn it off for normal telly and my music.

So the problem you are describing isn't an issue to me so far and tbh is unlikely to be in the future.

If it is an issue, my living room is pretty small so I'm not going to be too worried about walking the 5 steps to where the sub is located to adjust it.

Is there anything else you'd like to criticise about my new purchase?! I was pretty chuffed with it until you came along, thanks for that.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Is there anything else you'd like to criticise about my new purchase?! I was pretty chuffed with it until you came along, thanks for that.

Yes.

I've been trying to convince myself that I don't need to replace every hifi in the house for the last 2 days.

Those Dali speakers look sexy...

Damn you, old man !!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Yes.

I've been trying to convince myself that I don't need to replace every hifi in the house for the last 2 days.

Those Dali speakers look sexy...

Damn you, old man !!

I really want the covers off to show them off, but I know one of the kids will stab them with something. :(

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Yeah .. don't do that.

One of my 1kg furrballs took out one of my ~10kg floorstanders the other day. Straight over .. was UN-impressed.

Seems to be in full working order still, but they seem to (I f**king hope) have left it alone ever since.

Stupid furrballs.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
since yesterday, the kids have watched two films and I've watched one and I've not had to adjust the volume on the sub at all since the initial setup.

I turn it off for normal telly and my music.

So the problem you are describing isn't an issue to me so far and tbh is unlikely to be in the future.

If it is an issue, my living room is pretty small so I'm not going to be too worried about walking the 5 steps to where the sub is located to adjust it.

The problem you will have with that is that you will always have to get up to adjust it whenever you alter the volume (say if you need to turn it down during an action scene or up in a quiet scene in a film). It will also always be guess work trying to match the volumes. In time to come I suspect it might well start annoying you...

The sales man should have taken the £150 of the sub and put it towards choosing some better speakers. Floorstanders would've worked better for you especially if you add the cost of stands that you will need in the future.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
The problem you will have with that is that you will always have to get up to adjust it whenever you alter the volume

But I don't. I've watched films, it hasn't needed to be adjusted once. :S

You and the fatty are concerned about a problem that I don't have.

With regards to the speakers, they are plenty heavy enough. Offer more than enough punch. The bass on the amp is only just past half way and they are still banging out Ratpack!

AB182, Audi A5 3.0

Sorry, I think you may have mis-interperated my intentions. I was mearly trying to help you out so you didnt end up blowing up your new amp incase it was connected to the sub incorrectly (you have only just said how it is connected to the sub). The only thing I have criticised is richersounds as they have mis-advised you. You asked 'Why have I had a bum deal Can you explain?', I so I explained my opinion. The amp is a very good amp for audio. The basic point I was trying to make is that it is not meant to work with a sub; it is capable of perfect sound reproduction without a sub.

Surely its better to know these things whilst you can still change you mind?

p.s. im not someone who will say somethings good/correct if I dont think it is. I have more respect people for people than to just lie to them.

Last edited:

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
But I don't. I've watched films, it hasn't needed to be adjusted once. :S

You and the fatty are concerned about a problem that I don't have.

Right so you've set the volume of the sub to match a certain volume on the speakers. if you turn the speakers down the sub will be too loud and if you turn them up not loud enough so not matching. You might not think it's a problem after only a few days but in time to come it probably will be...
I'm not saying any individual part of your setup is bad. It's just they don't go well together and I think the sales man you dealt with was poor.

Richer Sounds own a large part of Cambridge Audio iirc. Makes me wonder if the sales people get more commission when they sell them!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Right so you've set the volume of the sub to match a certain volume on the speakers. if you turn the speakers down the sub will be too loud and if you turn them up not loud enough so not matching. You might not think it's a problem after only a few days but in time to come it probably will be...
I'm not saying any individual part of your setup is bad. It's just they don't go well together and I think the sales man you dealt with was poor.

Richer Sounds own a large part of Cambridge Audio iirc. Makes me wonder if the sales people get more commission when they sell them!

If I turn the telly down, the whole lot goes down. Sub/amp/speakers.

If I turn the amp down, then yes the sub stays up.

But I use the TV remote so its not an issue. The amp is set to 30% volume, the sub to about 20% volume and I just go up and down with the TV remote. In fact the remote for the amp is now in the loft as I hate having lots of remotes! lol.

Polo + Micra
i hope you bought the warranty for the amp (and possibly the sub)

as i've just sent my cambridge audio amp off for repair after i believe it killed one of my mordaunt short speakers

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

as i've just sent my cambridge audio amp off for repair after i believe it killed one of my mordaunt short speakers

My old Cambridge audio amp is 15 years old and still going strong.

As your is in Wales, its probably rusty.

Polo + Micra
My old Cambridge audio amp is 15 years old and still going strong.

As your is in Wales, its probably rusty.

lmao the only thing in wales thats rusty are the focus'

p.s at least mine have a proper pre-out :rasp::clown:

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I have a standard 12 month warranty, if it breaks after that, I have a pint of orange squash, two small children and house insurance. ;-)

Polo + Micra
and the excess would more than likely be more than the £30 to cover the amp for 5 years

my amp was 3 years old when i got fed up of it only outputting the right channel

330Ci (Fail)Sport
The RS warranty is pretty decent. 10% of the purchase price for 5 year cover and if you don't use it you can get a refund in 5 years time. I've ended up using mine, amp has been in twice and loan units both times. My amp needs parts that aren't produced anymore so waiting to see what they offer as replacements but I'll more than likely use this time to upgrade to next level.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
your wasting your time Dink, Daniel dosnt seem to like taking advice about this purchase :p The 5 year warrenty is a bargin from RS and gives you peace of mind; If things do go south, you dont have to lie to the inssurance company and your house inssurance wont go up the following year either.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
It's a £300 amp FFs. If it breaks i'll buy a new one. I will not be lying to my insurance company. It was said in jest.

I bought a £9k BMW last Thursday and didn't buy a warranty. A £300 amp isn't going to bankrupt me.

And I have been listening to advice, but it's via pm from someone with a slightly more positive outlook than you.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
im positive :) you just dont see it that way for some reason. I was only trying to save you from blowing up your amp.

Ibiza SC

Jesus, I've got a Cambridge A5 amp and a pair of Mordaunt Short 902i's, 4 years running strong until now. One of the speakers' tweeter has started to rattle..time to upgrade!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If you want bookshelf speakers, those dali ones I've got are obscene for how small they are!