ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Home cctv and phone apps? recommendations please!

I want to fit cctv at home 2 or 3 cameras and i want to be able to view on my phone, anyone have nay recommendations on kits/set ups?

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
I use Hikvision over POE, can connect to them over VPN when out but they are set to send notifications.

avstar1

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup
Hikvision POE cameras, best to go for EXIR ones and use EZVIZ app rather than Hikvisions own one. You could go for swann cameras from Costco or Maplins which are the same as Hikvision only lower res for an easy over the counter solution with come back if faulty.

Just done a search for hikvision stuff but it all seems to come in component form, is there no complete kit? a couple of cameras and a recording box?

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Swann do, but like others have said touch more expensive and slightly lower res.

Swann is re-branded Hikvision isn't it?

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
I use Hikvision and a little Brix PC. Cost a fair bit to set up but what it can do is brilliant.

Highly recommend POE gear.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
I got a Swann 1080p kit off eBay, 2tb hard drive, motion detection, can view on phone and send email notifications, plug and play kit which is really good. Think it's the 4550 model, can't remember but I like it a lot.

Just beware some companies list the cameras as "professional" but when you compare the specs the more expensive ones are worst.

Graham do you have a link? i want 2 cameras (possible 3) and i want to spend as little as possible whilst having a good picture quality and a phone app so i can view!

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
Graham do you have a link? i want 2 cameras (possible 3) and i want to spend as little as possible whilst having a good picture quality and a phone app so i can view!
Decent spec:
Brix J1900 bare bones + Ram = £140
2tb USB HDD + a 128gb SSD (for o/s) = £100 odd.
Cameras are Hikvision 2142 POE, £100 each.
TP-Link POE hub. £40
All of it + cables, £600 odd. I have this with 4 cameras.

Quality is 1080p and it's just a few set up hours for full blown access wherever you are.

Ph2 Meg 225
Go for hikvision. It's what we will only supply when we fit them, customers have supplied Swann plug and play kits to us before which we've fitted and are not worth a w**k in my opinion.

They may give a reasonable picture but in the event of a burglary etc the playback will not be clear enough to give the police sufficient evidence to follow up.

fulhamfcboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Laguna V6 and 19 16v
If you want simple go for Nest. Its not cheap, but good quality kit, and has the massive bonus of uploading direct to cloud so if you were burgled the video has already left the premises. The app gives movement notifications and the new camera even has facial recognition.....

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
If you want simple go for Nest. Its not cheap, but good quality kit, and has the massive bonus of uploading direct to cloud so if you were burgled the video has already left the premises. The app gives movement notifications and the new camera even has facial recognition.....
my 3 cameras record something like 25GB a day of footage, that's a lot to be uploading onto a cloud.

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
Point proven then
You could have it sending s teen grabs on motion detection, then check the footage once back.

Also, it's simple (once set up) to dial in and view a camera or 2. I have all the kit in the attic though, so unless a burglar goes in there, they are not going to have a clue.

Plus, the Brix is a PC. So can be used as such (media server etc)

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
You could have it sending s teen grabs on motion detection, then check the footage once back.

Also, it's simple (once set up) to dial in and view a camera or 2. I have all the kit in the attic though, so unless a burglar goes in there, they are not going to have a clue.

Plus, the Brix is a PC. So can be used as such (media server etc)
mine is stored at the bottom of my wardrobe, cant remember the last time I touched it. I just go in on my phone a few times a week to make sure its still working

Reactions: GiT

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
mine is stored at the bottom of my wardrobe, cant remember the last time I touched it. I just go in on my phone a few times a week to make sure its still working
Yip, all you need to do fella. Great minds and all that.

SQ5
Hikvision all day long.

Use the ones with SD cards able to be built in, record on motion and you will get over a week on that, all you need then is a cheap Poe switch or a few Poe injectors.

Cup In bits
I was away to start looking for my own first system soon.

Is there a need for night vision or are these Swann and Hikvision pretty good in low light?

I'd Ideally like 5 cameras, two for in the house where wires wouldn't be an issues, one for inside the garage, another for the summer house and one for looking over the forecourt. How would I remotely operate the exterior ones as the outbuildings are detached by a good 5-15 metres?

Swann have night vision. So when it's pitch black you can actually look at the camera and see very well.

They also somehow hold onto the light very well. I've often looked at the cameras and see they are still in daylight mode with full colour, to then wonder how the f**k because its dark outside.

Can get wide angle cameras, or normal. All in HD if you wished.

SQ5
Hikvision are perfect at night. Have a couple of customers with them in garages to look over classic cars, pitch black but perfectly viewable

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German
Does this seem like an ok price?
Screen Shot 2017-08-17 at 12.11.59.png