ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Home Cinema 'builds'

BMW E46 330i Touring
Anyone done one?

Following on from my thread on knocking a wall down, the bigger plan is to create a proper built-in AV set up. I've had a browse over on AV Forums, where people burn money for fun, but has anyone on here undergone a project like this?

BMW E46 330i Touring
Awesome, cheers. :)

For the record. Doesn't have to be a full projector jobbie, but just looking for info on the process people have gone through.

2014 Focus Titanium
My living room is ever being upgraded to improve my viewing experience, but it's far from a home cinema imo. Someone with just a 50" TV (no offence) doesn't have a home cinema!

What are you looking for info and tips on? I might be able to help in some way.

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
I've not done anything as serious as remodelling my space to fit the kit but a simple projector with a screen and correctly positioned 5.1 kit works wonders. One thing I will say is take into consideration is windows, I've found my projector screen can become very dull 1st thing in the morning when the sun is coming through the curtains, had to fit some thicker curtains and blinds to black the room out.

What gear you got in mind for the setup ?

You definitely need a blacked-out room to get the best from a projector. Your blacks will only ever be as black as the unlit screen, so ideally it needs to be DARK.

2014 Focus Titanium
Agreed with these two above, ideally black out blinds or extremely thick curtains are a must for a projector!

BMW E46 330i Touring
Nothing at all planned yet in terms of gear or layout; the thought literally popped into my head yesterday!

Basically, the missus wants us to knock through our lounge and dining room so I've said I'll entertain the idea if I can have a nice looking set up on the wall. Not sure I can justify a projector but am just looking for some design inspiration! Having said that, projectors are quite cheap now aren't they...? :)

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
DannyR does this for a living I think so might be worth a PM if you are after info.

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
Well one other thing to consider about the choice between TV and projector is usage, if it's going to be on alot or switched on and off regularly go for a TV as a projector's bulb can feel the strain. The optoma I went for has a bulb life of around 3000 Hour's which based on my usage should last me ~3 or 4 year's. The bulbs are ~£140 to replace. Throw is another thing to consider although not vital as most do have a zoom adjust.
I got mine from http://www.dabs.com/category/sound-and-vision,tv-and-home-entertainment,home-cinema-projectors/11307 and not looked back since purchase, great for PS3 and the quality when the room is blacked out is stunning.

Youtube is your friend for these things, I did a load of research before i purchased mine, watch some vid's online such as http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qtojZ9pzGk

Cupra
I got my projector out of a skip. Somebody had deemed it to be faulty but it works just fine, albeit with a bit of a noisy fan.
I actually prefer the TV though as it's brighter and has a higher res than the bin projector.

I've always wanted a projector, and plan on getting one this year.

I've yet to see one in use (other than training rooms and the cinema)

For those with a projector, how do they compare to the cinema? How do they compare to a 1080p plasma?

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
I've always wanted a projector, and plan on getting one this year.

I've yet to see one in use (other than training rooms and the cinema)

For those with a projector, how do they compare to the cinema? How do they compare to a 1080p plasma?

I've only experience with one projector (Optoma HD200) which is 1080p and the quality is bang on, same as any TV really just more temperamental to light sources (But then I guess if you have the curtains open the light can reflect from the screen's surface so it's even) My room is quite narrow so the throw is short so I get about ~80" but it can scale to 300" before it starts to stretch the image. Comparing to the cinema is difficult, id say the full HD projector's have a better picture quality than the cinema (But it depends on what cinema you go to as some have new projectors in there screens) The link I posted with the awsome madagascar pretty much sums up the quality.

If it help's I could probably video the projector in action if anybody has any specific queries

Last edited:
  BMW E46 330i Touring
Yeah I don't think I'd use it enough to really gain the benefit of it properly, compared to getting a larger TV instead. The thought of footy on the projector is nice though...

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Whatever you do, don't be one of these pricks that mounts their TV so high up it's nearly touching the ceiling

So irritating going round to peoples houses and having to crane my neck upwards to watch football on their stupidly mounted screen

BMW E46 330i Touring
No risk of that, does my head in too! I was close to fitting my current TV above my fireplace until I realised that the viewing angle was absurd.

2014 Focus Titanium
I've only experience with one projector (Optoma HD200) which is 1080p and the quality is bang on, same as any TV really just more temperamental to light sources (But then I guess if you have the curtains open the light can reflect from the screen's surface so it's even) My room is quite narrow so the throw is short so I get about ~80" but it can scale to 300" before it starts to stretch the image. Comparing to the cinema is difficult, id say the full HD projector's have a better picture quality than the cinema (But it depends on what cinema you go to as some have new projectors in there screens) The link I posted with the awsome madagascar pretty much sums up the quality.

If it help's I could probably video the projector in action if anybody has any specific queries

Most modern cinemas have 4x the resolution of 1080p, but then again they are on 25ft screens :D

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
Most modern cinemas have 4x the resolution of 1080p, but then again they are on 25ft screens :D

Yeah, 1080p on a HUUUGGEE screen would look mega silly lol It's probably more or less (Visually) the same quality you would get on a 1080p small screen. Ain't that something like the rumoured Redray ?

2014 Focus Titanium
It all depends on how far you sit from the screen, if you sit 2ft away from a 50" 1080P screen it will look pixelated, if you sit 10ft away it will look great! Same in the cinema, yes it's a 25ft screen but you're sat 40ft away :D

Never heard of Redray?

Are there any rules for how far from a projector you should sit, depending on size of the screen?

I currently sit 14foot (room is 16foot) from my 1080p 50", and I want bigger.

BMW E46 330i Touring
Very basic sketch, but this is what I'm thinking in terms of placement. Have sacked in the idea of a projector because it just wouldn't get used enough. A nice 42-50" TV will suffice. :)

Lounge.gif

FormulaFord Ecoboost
Could you not move the speakers further into the corners so they're out of the way (I.e. Not in the middle of the wall) and also it will sound better

BMW E46 330i Touring
The speakers at the top? Not really as the wall either side of the false wall are solid brick chimneys and I don't want to mount anything on them. The left hand speaker (as you look at it) could probably move onto the that chimney as it's all bricked up, but the brick chimney we want to keep as is.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
I'd also have the speakers lower if possible?
Plus make the hole for the TV big enough for a 60" (future proofing) and get a 50" minimum and put a back light behind it.

BMW E46 330i Touring
Cheers, I'll have a look at the measurements and see if I can work the speakers down and the TV cutout larger. Would you say bring the speakers down so they're beside the display or just slightly above, pointing down a bit? I've allowed 50mm around a 50" TV so can hopefully stretch it a bit further without hitting the brickwork either side.

The viewing position is less than 3.5m away though so I'm not sure if 60" would be overkill! I'm struggling to justify 47-50" to the missus!

Rope light behind the TV is in the plans :)

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
You want the speakers as close to sofa head height as possible really. What about putting them on the side walls in the corner to avoid the brick work?
Go for a 50" at least, you'll soon get used to it... If I could afford to upgrade mine to a 60" I would jump at it:(, although the 50 is still nice:approve:.

Clio 172 Cup
In my opinion of you want the best home cinema experience possible then sound is as important as vision. With this in mind the speakers are best placed where tweeters are at ear height and as far apart as possible for the best soundstage.

Cupra
No pictures in here? Post them up!
I'd love to build the whole lot into the wall but my wife keeps changing the room around. Would be an utter waste of time.

535493eb-6321-9e77.jpg

I'm pretty sure there's already a 'show us your home set up' thread somewhere, but still;

I've hidden it all away, so no lights when watching a movie.

IMG_05461.gif

42b754e6.gif