ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Home networking causing a ball ache!

E36 328
I recently took delivery of some homeplugs. I have been tearing my hair out with this, trying to get it to work and I can think of no place better than cliosport to ask for help.

Here is how I have set stuff up now: (I have done a pretty little diagram)

network.png

So, the living room router is connected to the router in my room via the homeplug ethernet. The ethernet goes into the homeplug in the living room, comes out in my room and goes straight into the router in my room.

I have my desktop connected via ethernet to router 2 - works fine
I have my ps3 and macbook (pro) connected via wifi to router 2 and they both work fine.

My iphone, the gfs iphone and the gfs ipad do NOT want to connect to router 2 at all! They see it and let me enter the password, but then the little whirly just stays next to the router name after that, and there is no internet access.

I tried setting my iphone up with a static ip. Now there is a tick next to the router name on the phone, but still no internet access!

I have also tried the 'reset all network settings' on my iphone with no luck.
Router 2 is secured with wpa2 and dhcp is turned off.

I am so puzzled as to why everything seems to work ok, but just the iphones and ipad do not want to connect!!!

Please help!!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Where is the cable from router 1 plugged into router 2 ? the wan port or a switch port ?

What make/model is router 2 ?

E36 328
Into a LAN port. The one in the living room is a d link dsl2640r and the one in my room is a d link dsl2640b

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
d link dsl2640b has issues with iOS devices.

Make sure you are on the latest firmware (check http://www.dlink.co.uk/ )

Switch off protected 54g mode, then reboot the router and try again.

Failing that, drop the security level down from WPA2 and see if it works after that, if it does you know there is an issue between iOS devices and WPA2 on the router. Your router is quite old and may not be compatible with iOS devices (it should be, but for one reason or another isn't)

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Make sure you have disabled DHCP on R2

Edit: didn't read that bit. What are the make and models of the routers

What about installing DD-WRT on them if compatible

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
sbridgey, it's a good idea. I had it on one of my linksys routers years back and it was awesome.. but his is not supported on DD-WRT.

E36 328
d link dsl2640b has issues with iOS devices.

Make sure you are on the latest firmware (check http://www.dlink.co.uk/ )

Switch off protected 54g mode, then reboot the router and try again.

Failing that, drop the security level down from WPA2 and see if it works after that, if it does you know there is an issue between iOS devices and WPA2 on the router. Your router is quite old and may not be compatible with iOS devices (it should be, but for one reason or another isn't)

Just updated the firmware, now running the latest version and still no luck :(

How do you know it has issues with IOS devices?

I did try it without any wireless security but didnt make any difference.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
guessing he has the internet connection coming in at room 1 and wants to have wifi in room 2, a modem in room 1 would make more sense.

E36 328
The router was originally in the kitchen, which is in the middle of the flat. The living room and my bedroom are actually at opposite ends of the flat, with the kitchen, bathroom, second bedroom and under stairs cupboard in between. The wifi signal didnt stretch the length of the flat. So, moved router 1 into the living room, with the homeplugs connecting it to router 2. So now I have 2 wifi networks, one at each end of the flat, that my devices can automatically switch between when I move between the rooms.

I have used a router instead of a switch with wireless capabilities because I already owned the router, and I think proof of concept has been provided due to the fact my desktop, my macbook and my ps3 all work with router 2, and its just the IOS devices and one laptop that dont. (My flatmate has recently come home as well and tried it with his laptop, it connects but cannot reach the internet.)

So, the plot thickens, the IOS devices cannot reach the internet and my flatmates laptop cannot either. BUT 3 other devices all work perfectly with the set up!

Would it be worth getting a more up to date switch/router for this job?

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
We use 2 routers in our house with no issues, in fact we used to have 3 but replaced one with a switch.

I would buy a 8 port switch and a separate access point.

Last edited:
  E36 328
Ah, that sounds like the kind of set up I need, dont suppose you have links to the devices you have? This was supposed to be a budget thing!

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
We just have a VM super hub, a cheap edimax router and a cheap netgear 5 port gigabit switch.

E36 328
Ok weird, my iphone, the gfs iphone and the ipad all just suddenly started working as we were sitting here. w tee eff??

It's taken like 4 hours for them to connect?? I disconnected and reconnected to see if it would take ages again and it just reconnected straight away! Weird! Have a feeling this router is just really old and s**t. Might just get a new cheapo router. SOmething like this: http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/wireless-routers/278578/tp-link-tl-wr741nd

Sounds like it might be a bit over loaded with the ammount of devices connected and with the age of it it can't cope mate and for the record we have a Belkin router with wifi and dhcp on and it all works fine with every wireless and ethernet device in our network my iPhone connects just fine