ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

horn and coil light fault

1.5 DCI, MONDEO ST
Hi All.

Just become a new member to this site.....i know that these sites can prove to be a valuable tool for help if you have a problem with ones car. I have a couple of probs with my DCI (52) so was hoping someone can point me in the right direction?

1. The horn a suddenly stopped working whilst i was pressing it, checked the fuse and its ok, tried to manipulate by pushing the centre of the wheel in different directions and managed to get a squeek which indicates the horn connections in the engine bay are ok so - am i looking at possible twisted or broken connections under the steering wheel airbag if so is it a hard fiddly job?

2. The coil glow plug indicator lights up every so often with a slight loss of power then after a few miles or so goes off and power resumed?

HELLLPPPP please!

thanks

Re the horn, I'd check the spade connection on the actual unit. Open the bomnet ad it's down the front of the engine bay on the passengers side.

As for glow plugs I'll pass on that one.

1.2 16v
I'd check the glow plugs make sure they aren't corroded in any way, they can get water in em' which can be a b**ch too.. My dad's DCi eventually got to the point where it wouldn't start without the glow plugs taking ages to heat up. It could also mean there is a bad connection somewhere :/

With this weather I'd taking the horn off and see if it's wet in any way. They also tend to get damaged by water splash.. Went through a couple but was just unlucky lol. The last horn sounded like a dieing giraffe but then died completely.. Then one day bam back to life lol but never lasted long. Also as above, I'd also check connections and wire brush any dirt.

There's a few guides you can follow If you become a full member they, help out tones :)

Last edited:
  1.5 DCI, MONDEO ST
Thanks guys for some initial ideas, not had a look at the horn connectors as yet but will once the weather sweetens a little. As for the coil light i hope its just the glow plugs so will give them a couple of blast of wd40 over a couple of days to try and loosen a little until the weather improves.

thanks again for some speedy responses

1.2 16v
Good times. If u do find out wether it is the glow plugs or not could you write your solution here? Glad u half way there mate.

1.5 DCI, MONDEO ST
Ye great stuff - like quick fixes. Going to try and ease the glow pugs out tomorrow but am prepared to spend some days with the wd40 tin. Will keep you posted.