ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How about this for a problem!!

RenaultSport clio 17
I'm driving along and my speedo suddenly stops working, a second later the radio loses some volume so I turn it up abit. Later the speedo then bursts back into life followed by my radio volume.

It keeps doing it on a off, mostly off at present.

Just to add to the problem, the engine light on the right hand side of the dash has now come on. This is (according to the book) an enviromental problem!! Does this mean my CAT has died???

Anyone have a clue what it means. Cars out of warranty now so I think it's time for a change.

TVR Cerbera
The engine light is either your cat has died or the rear lambda sensor has died.

the speedo and radio problem will be something to do with the speed sensor or wires as the signal goes to both radio and speedo

Daz

RenaultSport clio 17
Thanks for that, maybe this is due to that petrol problem last week. Car seems to run OK though. Whats the worst that can happen running it like this?

I am seriously considering a PX on a new motor, so may just unload it onto a dealer to fix after the deal is done

Sounds like I will have to go to the local dealers, which is a shame cause there absolutely useless.

FF Monaco 172
I'm driving along and my speedo suddenly stops working, a second later the radio loses some volume so I turn it up abit. Later the speedo then bursts back into life followed by my radio volume.

It keeps doing it on a off, mostly off at present.

that's odd my mums 206 was doing exactly the same thing when i was driving it earlier!!

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
Sounds like an earthing fault to me

I,d second that !

The speedo sensor might also be a cause, the radio takes a signal from the speedo pulse generator to adjust the volume level as you speed up or slow down.

If the engine management unit cant read the road speed info, it will flash up a fault code and the light, so you might find the whole thing is inter-related.

Check the wires on the transducer first, its easier than taking the dash off.

Cupra
The speedo sensor is a common fault with the 172's, I also had it on mine. Sold it before i had to fix it but it will get worse and worse with time.

Do a search for speedo broken/ fucked/ not working and there are a few other topics about it. None have a solution which helped me fix mine though but others were luckier.

RenaultSport clio 17
Sounds like an earthing fault to me

I,d second that !

The speedo sensor might also be a cause, the radio takes a signal from the speedo pulse generator to adjust the volume level as you speed up or slow down.

If the engine management unit cant read the road speed info, it will flash up a fault code and the light, so you might find the whole thing is inter-related.

Check the wires on the transducer first, its easier than taking the dash off.

Where is the transducer located?

Thanks

BMW 330D
My speedo used to go off when my headlights came on or i switched them on. I had blown a fuse somewhere along the line, replaced the fuse and havent had a problem since touch wood!

On a Phase 1 or a Cup the issue will be the spedo sensor in the gearbox its round the back of the gearbox ontop its the only thing there except for the reversing sensor check its plugged and scree it and its got a good connection.

I'd guess this or the loom to tthis will be the problem.

I'd suspect the loom as I'm sure the same loom runs both this and the lambeda sensor.