ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How bad is this?

After my last trackday, I noticed that my top layer is letting go on the front left. Before I scrap these tyres, I thought I would ask some opinions from you guys.

I noticed it when I strapped the car on the trailer, and it looked quite bad, I thought the tyre was tearing apart.

360.jpg

But on a second look, I can see that it is the top layer that is letting go. You can see the different color/shade in the rubber.

360.jpg

360.jpg

360.jpg

360.jpg

Now, my question is, how bad is this? Do I need to scrap this tyre? If so, I will probably buy a new set of semi's.

Standard delamination of a road tyre on track due to overheating. Bet they were screeching like mad?

They'll be fine as road/wets.

PH2 172
After my last trackday, I noticed that my top layer is letting go on the front left. Before I scrap these tyres, I thought I would ask some opinions from you guys.

I noticed it when I strapped the car on the trailer, and it looked quite bad, I thought the tyre was tearing apart.

360.jpg

But on a second look, I can see that it is the top layer that is letting go. You can see the different color/shade in the rubber.

360.jpg

360.jpg

360.jpg

360.jpg

Now, my question is, how bad is this? Do I need to scrap this tyre? If so, I will probably buy a new set of semi's.

It`s just pick up,( other peoples rubber ) & will ping off next outing.

My second pic is the same tyre after it cleaned up.

Attachments

• Pickup 2015-06-10 19.08.11.jpg
    Pickup 2015-06-10 19.08.11.jpg
    766.7 KB · Views: 116
  • OZ1 R595R A.jpg
    OZ1 R595R A.jpg
    449 KB · Views: 112

SWL16

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I semi-regularly got this with PS3s and have just had it on my ad08rs (see pic) after Thruxton. I've always aired on the side of caution and binned them / put them on a spare wheel.

Standard delamination of a road tyre on track due to overheating. Bet they were screeching like mad?

Just overheating? I was thinking this until it happened with AD08rs (pic), and also happened to the (mainly) unloaded drivers side of my friends car at Thruxton. Wondered if it could also be kerb damage?

20180512_215206.jpg

Couldn't really hear them because of the noise inside my car, it's quite loud. ? I think I will put this on to the rear, and pay close attention to it, see where this will evolve into.

It`s just pick up,( other peoples rubber ) & will ping off next outing.

My second pic is the same tyre after it cleaned up.

Maby the picture's aren't that clear, but It's not pickup, it's definately the top layer letting go.

Thanks for your reply, but that's not what I mean. I'm talking about the rubber actually letting go/tearing off at the shoulders of the tyre. In the first picture you can see it the best. And in the second picture you can see that it is at this point that the top layer meets the lower layer.

PH2 172
Thanks for your reply, but that's not what I mean. I'm talking about the rubber actually letting go/tearing off at the shoulders of the tyre. In the first picture you can see it the best. And in the second picture you can see that it is at this point that the top layer meets the lower layer.

"You can see the different color/shade in the rubber. "

That`s because it`s someone else`s!

PH2 172
Just a bad photo angle. (It's a huge arch gap.)

Are you even looking at the photos? Both OP and mine are quite clearly cuts in the tread. Not pick-up lol

Yes, In the OP`s case

If they were cuts or splits, they would extend to the sipes.

The tyre has been run overinflated, which is why there is no wear outboard of the red line I have drawn.

Either the surface of the tread is rolling, or it is the edge of the pick up.

Either way it is only surface, and will fly or wear off in a few laps.

In future, once he has got some heat in the tyres, he should reset them to cold pressures, but do remember do reinflate them if stopping for a lunch hour, or before driving home.

Your tyre has been run underinflated & rolled onto the sidewall, damaging the tyre.

Bin it.
PICK UP MAYBE.jpg
PICK UP MAYBE.jpg

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Those Sportracs are cheap tyres not designed to withstand track use. They've got too hot and the surface has started to peel away.

My brother used their Ultrac Vorti on track in his megane and they had the same outcome.

They may even be remolds which is even worse.

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
I've had T1R's and T1S's in the same state from road use... Overheated and destroyed.

But, at the time, I was getting them @ £18 a corner - fitted lmao - so didn't matter.

Get some Federals on.

@STEVE.M I've been measuring them after every (20 min) session, and I had hot pressure at 2 bars/30 psi. Surely I can't have overinflated them at this pressure? There is no wear outside the red line, because behind that line, the tyre rounds off to the wall of the tyre. Maby I should also add that I'm running -2,5 degrees of camber?

@JamesBryan I know the're cheap tyres, but they came with the wheels, and since I'm cheap as well ?, I first want to wear them out. If I have to bin them, I will, and get some Federal's, but for now, I will put it on the right rear, and closely monitor it, to see where it will evolve into.

PH2 172
@STEVE.M I've been measuring them after every (20 min) session, and I had hot pressure at 2 bars/30 psi. Surely I can't have overinflated them at this pressure? There is no wear outside the red line, because behind that line, the tyre rounds off to the wall of the tyre. Maby I should also add that I'm running -2,5 degrees of camber?

Strange, I would have expected to wear like the AD08R above @ 30 psi.