ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How best to increase 182 performance??

Clio RS 182
I am interested in uprating my 182 and would like to try and get an increase of around 20-25bhp. I would be interested to know if anyone else has upgraded there 182 by that sort of figure and what they had done and how much it cost?

I notice Morego do an upgrade (cams, ecu etc)for around £1500 has anyone any experience of the company or the Morego 202?

Any advice would be appreciated

Cheers

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
There are a few companies you should research for this type of stuff.
Morego is one but i strongly recommend looking in what packages Angelworks, Yozzasport, KTEC and GDI have to offer.

All easily found via the search facility on here and Google.

I didn't think there was much more power you could get out a 182 as it has most mods as standard.

Meaning the 4-2-1 manifold plenum, sports cat different ecu etc.

Unless you go down cams, headwork and the throttle body route.

As Ollie says have a spy at Gdi's sites etc. ;)

SchwepTek™
Yozza Catback system, decat, matched inlets, ITG maxogen, remap is what i'd do if i had the money!

Or you could just strip it and go on a diet ;)

Clio RS 182
Thanks for the advice, will check out the other tuning companies (gdi, ktec etc). My previous car was a boxster S, before that a 350Z, neither of which I could really afford. I wanted something fun to drive but also affordable and so I jacked the Boxster in for the 182. I have been very impressed with it so far. Value for money is better than anything I have owned. Its a great car but I do think another 20-30 hp would make it greater ... Has anyone here uprated there 182 with any of the modifcations mentioned? What sort of power increase could I expect to get from just induction and ECU? Thanks

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Your going to be needing a Decent IK, Decat, Cat-Back Syatem, Matched Inlets, CAM's and a Remap to get you around the 200bhp mark

Your options are Companies suchas Yozzasport, AWT (Angel Works Technologies), K-Tec, GDI (Gret Devil Industries) Etc.

Just depends on where you live and who you choose as there are lovers and haters of every company on here

Your going to be needing a Decent IK, Decat, Cat-Back Syatem, Matched Inlets, CAM's and a Remap to get you around the 200bhp mark

Your options are Companies suchas Yozzasport, AWT (Angel Works Technologies), K-Tec, GDI (Gret Devil Industries) Etc.

Just depends on where you live and who you choose as there are lovers and haters of every company on here
Mine has the following:
182 manifold and cat converter
cat back prospeed
maxogen
omex 600 inc. idle control valve
extensive mapping by gdi

back to back on a rolling road with gdi's 2nd demo 182, which is currently standard and mine came out to be 20 bhp more. If I was you I would phone Andy @ GDI and tell him exactly what you what, mate.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
I am interested in uprating my 182 and would like to try and get an increase of around 20-25bhp. I would be interested to know if anyone else has upgraded there 182 by that sort of figure and what they had done and how much it cost?

I notice Morego do an upgrade (cams, ecu etc)for around £1500 has anyone any experience of the company or the Morego 202?

Any advice would be appreciated

Cheers

20-25bhp is a big ask on 182's without spending a large amount of money.

Is it mainly a road car? What sort of budget were you looking at?

Mine has the following:
182 manifold and cat converter
cat back prospeed
maxogen
omex 600 inc. idle control valve
extensive mapping by gdi

back to back on a rolling road with gdi's 2nd demo 182, which is currently standard and mine came out to be 20 bhp more. If I was you I would phone Andy @ GDI and tell him exactly what you what, mate.

Was 20bhp more than yours had before the work though?

no mate that's after all the work. Have a word with Andy and tell him you have been speaking to Mark Higgins, also what you want from the car and he will take you through your options.

Clio RS 182
Thanks for all of the suggestions, I think it sounds worth giving GDI a ring.

"20-25bhp is a big ask on 182's without spending a large amount of money.
Is it mainly a road car? What sort of budget were you looking at?"

Tom, its an every day car for me rather than a car specifically for the track. I saved myself around 15k selling my last car so I have a little money to burn but not enough to go mental on it otherwise it would defeat the purpose of selling the porker. Wouldn't really want to spend more than about 3k at the moment though was hoping (partly from seeing things like Morego 202 advert) that I could spend less than this ...

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Just over 3k and you've got ITB's BUT you'd want to upgrade Brakes Etc. so I'd go for about £2000 on Engine Components and Exhaust etc. and te other £1000 on Brakes, Suspension Etc.

Cornering Speeds and Late Braking is what will really give you the edge on the roads

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
The GDI single throttle body conversion would give you 200 bhp.

As above your gonna need:

Cams
Matched inlets
Sports cat
Cat back zaust
Good panel filter
OMEX or good remap

You should nudge 200 bhp with that.

For 200+ you will need extensive head work and flowing with Jenvy throttle bodies.

Clio RS 182
Great some good advice here I think. Sounds like 2k should do it or at least get me close then. Will give GDI a ring as they seem to get the most recommendations. Perhaps I could then spend the other grand on a coilover suspension and brakes ... cant wait to get started will keep you all informed of my progress when I do ... Appreciate all of your suggestions ...

James a piece of advice...everyone has there own opinion especially on here so I really would just go straight to the nearest phone and ring GDI and make your own mind up, mate.

ValverInBits
what happened to the days when people used to buy parts and mod their own cars! it's soooo much cheaper

Question from a dumb f**k: Are you actually going to notice an extra 20hp in a clio? Sounds alot of cash for little gain. Why not upgrade to a Meg 225 etc?

b/g 182, meg tourer
Question from a dumb f**k: Are you actually going to notice an extra 20hp in a clio? Sounds alot of cash for little gain. Why not upgrade to a Meg 225 etc?

and how much extra ££££'s is a meggy!!?

oh... and it has a horrible ar$e

Clio RS 182
"Question from a dumb f**k: Are you actually going to notice an extra 20hp in a clio? Sounds alot of cash for little gain. Why not upgrade to a Meg 225 etc?".
I think as the clio is a very light/small car that 20bhp is actually a fairly big increase and I would be very surprised if I didn't notice the difference. The bhp per ton figure of a standard 182 is roughly 168 at the moment and it weighs only a little over a ton. Without doing the maths I guess an extra 20hp would change this figure to something in the low 180s. If you look at www.letstorquebhp.com you can get an idea of how significant that increase would be by looking at the performance figures of cars in the same bracket.
I have not driven the Megane, the Clio has impressed me since ownership though, so much so that now I'm tempted to spend a little more on it. If I had driven the Megane I may have made a different decision, who knows, without driving one I cant comment on that.

Know what you're saying mate. but in them days cars didnt have the fancy manage ment systems youd need to have a degree in rocket science to understand. lol

ValverInBits
It really surprises me that you don't see a lot of big boost meganes. They are turbo......wind them up people!

2002 172
my previous car, ibiza fr 1.8 20vt i wasn running between 25-30psi and that was fine. my 212bhp ka turbo was running 21psi, all was good :)

life begins at 20psi...

2002 172
for people that cant stretch to the amount of throttle bodies (most of us, inc me) then why not use r1 carbs? less than £100 for a set on ebay all you'd need is someone handy with oxyacetalin welding equipment and you could machine up a real nice inlet manifold for them. and be half the cost of throttle bodies. its what im going to be doing over the next couple of months...when my warranty runs out lol

for people that cant stretch to the amount of throttle bodies (most of us, inc me) then why not use r1 carbs? less than £100 for a set on ebay all you'd need is someone handy with oxyacetalin welding equipment and you could machine up a real nice inlet manifold for them. and be half the cost of throttle bodies. its what im going to be doing over the next couple of months...when my warranty runs out lol

because carbs are a backwards step?

2002 172

because carbs are a backwards step?

whats wrong with bike carbs? they are proven to work. also for your information new bikes are on throttle bodies and they are much more to be honest. i reckon with the right people doing it you could do it for little over £500

Clio RS 182
"Anyway James, wouldn't really listen to all the "know it alls" on here I'm sure you know what to do now anyway."
Its ok, you expect to get a few know it alls, in general I think the advice has been fairly good. Can you tell me any more about the mods GDi have done to your car, how much of an increase in performance have you noticed since the upgrades? Cheers

Clio RS 182
Its saying I dont have permission to view the thread for some reason? Strange cos I am definately logged in ok????