ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How closely related are the Clio and Dacia Sandero?

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Well, we're back in lockdown, so I have been having random thoughts 😂 Am I right in thinking that the 2012-2020 Dacia Sandero is based on the MK2 Clio? Does anyone know how closely related they are?

A few years ago, they did a Renault Sandero R.S. for some South American markets, and it had a 150-odd bhp 2.0-litre engine. Here it is, for anyone who cares:

sandero-rs-web-0111.jpg

Ever since I saw that, I thought it would be quite fun to do something similar over here, fitting the running gear from a Clio into one. I know it's not the best looking car ever, but I still have a strange interest in the idea of doing it at some point :ROFLMAO:

Does anyone have any idea how closely related the two cars are? I assume getting the engine and gearbox to physically fit wouldn't be that hard, but I wondered if suspension bits would also work? Anyone ever looked into it?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
we have a DCI one at work and ive driven it quite a bit, it feels very like a mk4 clio to drive, looks like a parts bin special between a mk3 and mk4 too.

The sandero RS uses an F4R and in typical Renault fashion, all the engines run the same/similar mounts so its a fairly easy project!

2014 Clio 200t edc
Do it!!! It would make a brilliant sleeper or head turner. I bet as said above it wouldn’t be a hard project to fit the f4r into it.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
we have a DCI one at work and ive driven it quite a bit, it feels very like a mk4 clio to drive, looks like a parts bin special between a mk3 and mk4 too.

The sandero RS uses an F4R and in typical Renault fashion, all the engines run the same/similar mounts so its a fairly easy project!

I thought it was based on the MK2 platform? Is it on the MK3? From what I've seen online, I thought the engine bay looked similar to a MK2 Clio.

I'm sure the engine and gearbox would be easy enough, but it's the suspension that is probably more important in a way.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I'm sure the engine and gearbox would be easy enough, but it's the suspension that is probably more important in a way.

From memory the sandero uses a similar ARB setup to the mk2 Clio non RS where it goes onto the underside of the lower arm with a rubber bush, i would bet though that there is a combo you can use in typical Renault fashion that lets you run a sportier setup from somthing else.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
From memory the sandero uses a similar ARB setup to the mk2 Clio non RS where it goes onto the underside of the lower arm with a rubber bush, i would bet though that there is a combo you can use in typical Renault fashion that lets you run a sportier setup from somthing else.

Yeah that's what I wondered. Seems to be the case with most Renaults of that era.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Prob be able to get a f4r in quite easy. Id bet its a cross between mk2 meg/twingo/mk3 clio, exactly the same as this Kangoo im building.

Looking at the subframe id be aiming at mk2 twingo for suspension, should be able to cross over clio rs mk2 parts.

From my findings most of the modern Renaults share a very similar platform regarding engine mounts and its a piece of piss to chop them about. Main issue will be wiring, id imagine you might have half a fighting chance of getting it running on later mk3 rs200 ecu etc.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Why have Dacia not made more cars like this, I now they were made as cheap run arounds but that would break them into a new market, it's got a kind of 90's vibe to it

It's definitely a shame. I guess they wouldn't get the 2.0-litre through the latest emissions rules, but they could create something very similar with one of the little turbo lumps.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Prob be able to get a f4r in quite easy. Id bet its a cross between mk2 meg/twingo/mk3 clio, exactly the same as this Kangoo im building.

Looking at the subframe id be aiming at mk2 twingo for suspension, should be able to cross over clio rs mk2 parts.

From my findings most of the modern Renaults share a very similar platform regarding engine mounts and its a piece of piss to chop them about. Main issue will be wiring, id imagine you might have half a fighting chance of getting it running on later mk3 rs200 ecu etc.

Yeah there does seem to be a lot of cross over of parts. Would be interesting to have a good poke about underneath one and see what's what.

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
On a slight tangent but sticking with the Dacia theme I do recall the very first Dacia duster having MK2 Clio dials, indicator stalks and steering wheel

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
They run on different architecture but the engine put into the Sandero in the Americas was the old F4R engine which can't be sold anymore this side of the world because of emissions restrictions. So in theory you should be able to fit a 1*2 engine into one of those with a bit of bodging.

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
I've always wanted to do this too one. Its very clio 2 underneath i think the suspension would bolt straight on engine bay is big enough for f4rt

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
I keep bidding on the sandero access with the black bumpers and steels when they come up on eBay but they keep going for way too much!

Popular 'budget' cars.

So popular people are willing to pay a bunch extra to own one, which makes them not so cheap anymore 🤦‍♂️