ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How do you co-ordinate multi-car insurance

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
Here's the situation:
The 330i is insured with Direct Line - renewal due on 1st November.
The Trophy is insured with Adrian Flux - renewal due on 15th November.
I think I've read that you can't insure the same car with two different providers, so what's the best way to take out multi-car insurance given the dates are currently misaligned?
a) Take out a multi-car policy on 15th November and not insure the 330i for the first couple of weeks of November (risky, and illegal ?)
b) Cancel the Flux Trophy insurance 14 days early (will this mean I'll lose 1 year's ncb?)
c) Is temporary insurance for two weeks the most cost-effective way to make this work?

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Iirc they'll start the policy with the car whose insurance is up first. Then when the other one ends, they'll add that on for the remainder of the policy. At a reduced cost.

At the end of the year, you renew as usual with both cars starting the policy together.

The second car will end up with an additional years ncb too.

This happened with me and the gf a couple of years ago.

Ring the new providers and they'll sort it out for you.

.Joe

ClioSport Club Member
  Mini Clubman
With admiral the policy starts for the first car on the date you set, the second car will then start from the date you set for it it also
so in your circumstances the 330ci would start on the 1st of november and run for 12 months and the trophy would start on the 15th and run for 12 months from that date

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
It's exactly as knuckles says. I've just had to do it with my cars.

Whatever car you insure first will dictate the renewal date for the following year. So if you insured a car on the 1st of November, and then a second car as of the 1st of December, the second car would be insured 11 months pro rata and they would both renew on the 1st of November the following year.

clio
Be careful tho as they calculate the discount from the start of the first policy (1st November for The 330 in your case) but should something. Happen before the 15th and you don't add the other they will ramp the premium up, I fell foul of this and ended up paying nearly double