ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How does a 206 GTi compare to a 172

Just wondered coz there is a chance I might be getting one.

Oh by the way, no 1.2/1.4 16v t***s who think they can keep up with real fast cars need respond.

theres a new 180bhp 206rc due at very soon maybe you should take a look at that. As sar as the standard 206gti goes the 172 is faster(from my experience) but theres not that much in it.

GR7

Shiny red R32

The 206GTi isnt as quick as the 172. The 306 Rallye is quicker or better still the 106 GTi.

I tried 206 GTi before placing the order for my 172. That was last Dec. I went for 172 becauseit was much quicker, as entertaining as 206 and much cheaper. Pug may be more reliable, with less teething problems, though. The 180 bhp 206 really sounds interesting.

HKclioman....im back in HK now and developing our secret Clio RS-R with an estimated 190bhp. it will come with a few nice extras. and.....truthfully, what sort of problems have you had with the clio?

The 206 doesnt even compare!!!!

BTW, my mobile no. 60752701
work no. 29262196

you can call me anytime regarding great servicing ( i can try to get you discounts) and the new range of performance parts im bringing across from the UK.....including the cliocup race exhaust i am testing next week.

Cheers
Ben

HKclioman....im back in HK now and developing our secret Clio RS-R with an estimated 190bhp. it will come with a few nice extras. and.....truthfully, what sort of problems have you had with the clio?

The 206 doesnt even compare!!!!

BTW, my mobile no. 60752701
work no. 29262196

you can call me anytime regarding great servicing ( i can try to get you discounts) and the new range of performance parts im bringing across from the UK.....including the cliocup race exhaust i am testing next week.

Cheers
Ben

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

The current 206 GTi is quick, but not 172 quick unfortunately.

Current 206 GTi only has 137bhp and so is well down on power compared to the 172.

Specs -

Peugeot 206 GTi:

Power - 137bhp @ 6000rpm
Torque - 140lb/ft @ 4100rpm
Weight - 1028kg
0-60 - 7.4secs
0-100 - 21.9secs

So, its no slouch, but the 172 will beat it all day long.

However...

There is a new 206 GTi-180 (aka RC) on its way very soon and it has a 2.0 VVT engine developed in conjunction with Lotus and giving 186bhp @ fly for production models. Also has a 6 speed close-ratio box and some chassis & suspension tweaks over the old model so the handling will be superb.

Here are some pics of the prototype car...

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid18/pb009fd4142d3db0d6a45f0e75cc9d173/fdd0d088.jpg

For more info go to - http://www.pugsport-gti.co.uk/206rcinfo.htm

HTH

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Jock -

AFAIK it was "meant" to be out later this year, but I have also heard rumours that it has slipped to February 2003.

it will not make 186 out the factory....gauranteed!

the 172 only come out the factory with 166bhp, as we have tested, and they have told us. and in the uk it might be less becasue of the lower rating fuel you have.

nothing to worry about though, its still the best....and the RS-R which i am developing as a ltd edition clio will have around 190bhp, well, we say 190 in the same way renault say the clio 172.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Ben -

Just because the Clio 172 makes less power than they claim does not automatically mean that every other car on the planet is down on power!

Peugeot currently have some 206PS prototype cars on test at the Ryton Plant in Coventry, I know someone that has been a passenger in one. The prototypes are more powerful than the real ones will be and there is a contract in place with Lotus (who developed the engine) that they must leave the production line with 186bhp at the flywheel.

Now whether it actually will or not remains to be seen...

At the end of the day, the 206 will/should have more power (claimed 172 vs 186) and the 206 weighs a bit less than the 172, so it will be a good rival when its launched.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

truefactor -

This engine is NOT the one from the 306 GTi-6 mate. They have discontinued that unit now due to emissions.

Neither is it the one from the current 206 GTi either, as that is again a different engine.

Those two engines are just normal 2.0 litre, twin-cam, 16v units, wheras the GTi-180 engine is a totally "new" 2.0 litre, VVT unit developed jointly by Peugeot and Lotus.

it will still be based on the basic block/head.

why throw away a perfectly good design.
lotus have always built engines unsing other blocks as a base.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Most likely to be based on one of the current Pug 2.0 litre engines I agree, but not the 306 GTi-6 one as that was a modded old design anyway.

Probably based on the 206 one at a guess, unless they have actually developed a whole "new" engine as its to go in other cars, the 307 for a start.

better still then !

hopefully it will be even better to tune than the Mi16 lump..... according to these guys it is one of the most tuneable N/A engines available www.pumaracing.co.uk/pug16v

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Aye, those Pugs have had some really good engines, so this should be a stormer too.

Was shocked when I found out Louts were developing this engine though...

BenR

I was about to ask where was you. Welcome home. Do keep us post re your progress. Dont mind to be your test driver, if you need one. Particularly the 6-speed box and the nos.

The air-bag light in my 172 is kind of mystery, it comes and goes at its own will. The workshop tried twice to fix it but to no avail. I have made an appointment with a ghostbuster, maybe he can help.

Will remind Linton to inform you our next meeting. Will see you then.

joined the HK clio club site as jebsencliosport but since i cant read chinese, i will only be on the posting forum.

i will keep you updated on progress, offers etc etc.

if there is anything you need, please dont bother with the ataff as their stupid and overcharge. i will personally oversee work on your car.

got new bits comming in for trial, especially the cliocup race exhaust, but a bit quieter!!!

viper is currently in development and should be finished next week. as with chips, they are not generic and are tailored to each car, so if you want one, youll have to leave the car with us for a day.

N20 is unofficial and i would fit it, not renault as its illegal to run, not sell, but dont want to give renault a bad name in HK...

didi you see that bullcrap apple daily wrote about renault!!!!!

anyway, my email addy is Ching@iamwasted.com and my work # is 29262196...call or mail if you need anything.

Cheers
Ben