ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How easy would it be...

1.4 16V Mk2 Ph2
...to make a strut brace for my car (mk2 ph2 non sport)

Im not after any performace or handling gain, its just i've got a uni project to do and i thought it was a good idea?

Ph1 172 + Combo van
Pretty easy. Make two plates and drill bolt to the strut tops. Then just weld accross a bar.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Sounds like a fun project !

Alex seems to have nailed the instructions for you ...

If you want to make it adjustable .. cut a few inches out the middle, tap / die, add some bolts ..... extra brownie points on the aesthetics and the design !

rps13
I made my own mate!

one second, pic:

strutbr.gif

1.4 16V Mk2 Ph2
Cheers guys, yeah iv got access to a whole load of fabricating equipment and aluminium

106 GTI
I made my own strut brace for the rear, as for roll cage unless you have a hydraulic pipe bender its not worth doing

Peddled device
Is ally strong enough? I would have gone for some 304 stainless and had it tig welded.It'll stay easy to clean too.

1.4 16V Mk2 Ph2
Is ally strong enough? I would have gone for some 304 stainless and had it tig welded.It'll stay easy to clean too.

like i said before im not after any improvments and i probally wont leave in on the car after iv completed my project, but if it makes a difference i can get hold of steel instead of ally

1.4 16V Mk2 Ph2
I might have to do the front one though because i've just had an email from my tutor saying that unless i can find a way to "pack it out" then its not really worth doing, so i was thinking if i do a front one then i can research and design different bases that mount it to the struts

1.4 16V Mk2 Ph2
Let me know how you get on.If its easy enough and you can make more id buy one off you.

Thing is i dont think il be able to make more than one because its for my uni project and i think the place where im on placement would get a bit pissed off if i kept using all there ally lol. what did your brother do for his project because he would have done this around the same time last year?

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Shall be intresting to see the finished item.

Can you use any matierial you want (i mean strong enough to withstand being a strutbrace?)

1.2 Dynamique
this sounds pretty interesting, let me know how it goes.

and yeah aluminium is STRONG, if its been hardened in anyway then its a huge effort to cut.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Nice .. I did that at Swansea ! (well... engineering and design, but I'm sure its all the same sort of shizzle).

Is it worth throwing it into Solidworks and doing some FEA on it at all !? Maybe you can do that for another project / subject / lecture thing...

1.4 16V Mk2 Ph2
yeah i thought that but i've never really used solid works, i've had a play on it but i dont think i wud be good enough on it to properly design anything

1.4 16V Mk2 Ph2
Just had another email from my tutor and he said i can go through with it so it looks like im going to be able to make it :approve:

fiesta 1.25
Fair enough mate but still let us know how you get on should be interesting.

Not sure what mike did ill ask him tomorrow.