ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

how fast is a 1.2 clio

after just checking parkers, it says the 0-60 time for a mk1 1.2 clio is 13.1 seconds, seems a bit optimistic or am i just not trying hard enough?

anyone tried it out? (or know of a reliable figure)

Mk2 V6, MK1 Track Sl#g

well I dont care what anyone says about 1.2s because mine was absolutly awesome and was quick for a 1200

Quote: Originally posted by Final_Maxim on 04 January 2005

Quote: Originally posted by docter fox on 04 January 2005

is that stripped out, with a 60mph tailwind?
and catapulted off a cliff.............

with an elephant in the boot
The elephant would make no difference seeing as gravity has the same effect no matter the mass of an object.

Ill get my coat! lol :oops:

Only in a vacuum dumbass ;)

Disclaimer - thats not strictly true in this example though, as air resistance would be constant :D

Well, 1.2 Clios are nippy and faster to other 1.2s out there!
Some idiots think that if a car is 1.4 is it faster than a 1.2 16v, but alot of cars are 1.2 8v and only push like 60-65 BHP. Get smoking those Puntos and Polos from the lights ;)

it does go ok when you get it higher in the rev range (id tell you how high, but ive just got a fuel gauge there atm :mad:) but it seems to have hardly anything low down?

anyone got a rough time?

its kinda disheartening when you get passed by a big white van....... :(

Chocolate Bar™

i think that the 1.2 16v dynamique i have is slower than the 1.2 16v punto i used to own (75hp vs 86hp and less weight), however it drives much nicer and is more chuckable into the corners. the ride and handling is also sweeter which compensates for the speed. ultimately tho it is a group 3 as opposed a group 6/5 for an active sport 16v punto

Clio 1.4, SV650S

That wouldnt make a difference ;)
oops someone else already noticed :devilish:

[Edited by entjm on 04 January 2005 at 11:50pm]

Quote: Originally posted by Middo on 04 January 2005

i think that the 1.2 16v dynamique i have is slower than the 1.2 16v punto i used to own (75hp vs 86hp and less weight), however it drives much nicer and is more chuckable into the corners. the ride and handling is also sweeter which compensates for the speed. ultimately tho it is a group 3 as opposed a group 6/5 for an active sport 16v punto
i think hes talking about a 1.2 mk1 8v as thats wot he posted.

i had bang on 96mph top whack outa mine, but they are nippy wee cars

Quote: Originally posted by m4rk on 04 January 2005

i think hes talking about a 1.2 mk1 8v as thats wot he posted.

thats the one....... the slowest of the slow?
nah 1.1 would be the slowest, or maybe the diesel, 1.2s are good first car, teaches u how to drive..

Volvo S60 D5

after just checking parkers, it says the 0-60 time for a mk1 1.2 clio is 13.1 seconds, seems a bit optimistic or am i just not trying hard enough?

anyone tried it out? (or know of a reliable figure)

Id have said around 15 seconds. My God that is slow!

my mates 1.2 8v is pretty alright, in direct comparison with mine. He does have very good clutch control and is smooth through the revs in the gears. Makes alot of difference. Believe it or not, my 1.4 16v seems awfully perky and I have no trouble at least keeping tabs with those vtrs. Ive even had 121mph GPS verified out of it on a private road of course.

Volvo S60 D5

Quote: Originally posted by HazzyP on 05 January 2005

my mates 1.2 8v is pretty alright, in direct comparison with mine. He does have very good clutch control and is smooth through the revs in the gears. Makes alot of difference. Believe it or not, my 1.4 16v seems awfully perky and I have no trouble at least keeping tabs with those vtrs. Ive even had 121mph GPS verified out of it on a private road of course.
I had just under 130 showing on the speedo and at the same time GPS confirmed speed of 124 on the Autoroute south of Paris. Mind you that was downhill...!!! GPS reported bang on 120 on the flat.

Im impressed with the 1.4 16V its good!

what gear should it hit 60 in?

if it only does 90-sumet at the top of 5th, no chance in 2nd, but i think third would be pushing it hard aswell, id feel more comfortable with a tacho but is 4th needed for 60? :confused:

SNAP! I had mine on 130mph on the speedo but my gps went off and couldnt find the balls to turn it back on at 130mph! the speedo was on just under 130mph at 121 verified. I was goin slightly downhill but only not alot, it held on 130mph though, then "situations arose and I had to slow up, LOL.

Peeps tell me no,no your rev limiter is like 5,500 and that, is it heck it was on bout 5750-6000 at 130 and wasnt stoppin!

Yeah mate totally agree, its a good engine!

I get to near 60 in 2nd If I push it all the way to the limits of sanity, but breezes it at 4k rpm in 3rd. thats a 1.4 16v mind you!

Twingo 133

I have a Mk1 Phase 3 1.2 Clio with the mpi engine and i would say that the times are correct, i have done little lower than book times on the 0-60 and have managed to get 115 before.

Mine keeps up with heavyer weighted 1.4s ie 306s corsas and i recon it is nippy for a 1.2 but i do take my gears up to 5-8mph away from the limiter as i have no rev-gauge :confused:

Volvo S60 D5

SNAP! I had mine on 130mph on the speedo but my gps went off and couldnt find the balls to turn it back on at 130mph! the speedo was on just under 130mph at 121 verified. I was goin slightly downhill but only not alot, it held on 130mph though, then "situations arose and I had to slow up, LOL.

Peeps tell me no,no your rev limiter is like 5,500 and that, is it heck it was on bout 5750-6000 at 130 and wasnt stoppin!

Itll go past 5,500rpm easily! Was about 6ish, the rev limiter cuts in at 6,200 on mine give or take. Only done it twice when I was accelerating from 0-70 to get into a line of traffic at 70mph !

All my mates are impressed with it. Its deffo a quicker than a 1.6 Focus and a couple of 1.8 Vauxhalls (8v though). Most of the "go" is at 4k+ but it still has plenty below that.

My other car is a Volvo T5 which has 225bhp (150mph), and the Clio still feels nippy after using that for a while. Im glad I went for the 1.4 over the 1.2, but am starting to wonder whether I should have gone for the 1.6!

think im just gonna go to a scrap yard, find the first car with a rev gauge, nab that, bodge it on and cable tie it onto the rear view mirror!

whats the limiter set to on a mk 1 1.2 8v?

Quote: Originally posted by docter fox on 05 January 2005

what gear should it hit 60 in?

if it only does 90-sumet at the top of 5th, no chance in 2nd, but i think third would be pushing it hard aswell, id feel more comfortable with a tacho but is 4th needed for 60? :confused:
doesnt do 90 odd at top revs, iits geared for more but doesnt hav ethe power to get there, if u wanrt it quicker strip it out, 3rd gear 60 should be easy,

as for 1.2s beating 1.4s yeh easyly the 1.4 306 i had 1 and it was slow!!

Twingo 133

This is what each gear hits the limiter at (roughly)

1st = 35 2nd = 50 3rd = 75 4th = 95 - 100? 5th = As if

172 cup'd extreme

its great as first car, the 1200 is my second but im getting my skill up before i buy something with a bit more power, i hate to think what id be like in a sport.... probably dead
had 112 gps flatout no more in mine
i dont care what peeps say about the performance of these little motors i love mine!

Quote: Originally posted by Roy Munson on 04 January 2005

Only in a vacuum dumbass ;)

Disclaimer - thats not strictly true in this example though, as air resistance would be constant :D
Elephant in boot as you said = no change in air resistance! :D

for insurance reasons I went for the 1.4 also it was a top spec privvy model, was on 0% finance, in the colour I wanted and there was nothing else relatively new in the new shape last Dec. My other mates 2l is thundering and after taking me for a no fear spin up n down the country roads I turned white! It was absolutely phenomenal, hes like well heres 140 and im like what! hes only been drivin like 20 seconds! Hes crazy tho, thought I was gonna die for sho!

hes like well heres 140 and im like what! hes only been drivin like 20 seconds! Hes crazy tho, thought I was gonna die for sho! <SCRIPT language=javascript>
On the speedo (more like 130 if it was)? Down a country lane? You thought you were going to die? Youre probably lucky you didnt! ;)

Volvo S60 D5

for insurance reasons I went for the 1.4 also it was a top spec privvy model, was on 0% finance, in the colour I wanted and there was nothing else relatively new in the new shape last Dec. My other mates 2l is thundering and after taking me for a no fear spin up n down the country roads I turned white! It was absolutely phenomenal, hes like well heres 140 and im like what! hes only been drivin like 20 seconds! Hes crazy tho, thought I was gonna die for sho! <SCRIPT language=javascript>
I was about to buy a Ford Ka luxury thing, but had a last minute change of mind. Went for the Dynamique cos it seemed the best all round package for me & I got it with the electric sunroof & climate control.

I went for the 1.4 cos the 1.6 only has 12 more hp and the 1.2 has 23 less. The 1.6 was quite a bit more costly too for some reason and the 1.4 just seemed the ideal compromise! Is/was much faster than I was expecting though.

Quote: Originally posted by Clio1400 on 05 January 2005

for insurance reasons I went for the 1.4 also it was a top spec privvy model, was on 0% finance, in the colour I wanted and there was nothing else relatively new in the new shape last Dec. My other mates 2l is thundering and after taking me for a no fear spin up n down the country roads I turned white! It was absolutely phenomenal, hes like well heres 140 and im like what! hes only been drivin like 20 seconds! Hes crazy tho, thought I was gonna die for sho! <SCRIPT language=javascript>
I was about to buy a Ford Ka luxury thing, but had a last minute change of mind. Went for the Dynamique cos it seemed the best all round package for me & I got it with the electric sunroof & climate control.

I went for the 1.4 cos the 1.6 only has 12 more hp and the 1.2 has 23 less. The 1.6 was quite a bit more costly too for some reason and the 1.4 just seemed the ideal compromise! Is/was much faster than I was expecting though.
u better be careful admiting u nearly bought a ford!!;)

Volvo S60 D5

Quote: Originally posted by m4rk on 05 January 2005

Quote: Originally posted by Clio1400 on 05 January 2005

u better be careful admiting u nearly bought a ford!!;)

Lol.

Im selling the Volvo in August and going back to being a one-car geezer. Once the warranty runs out on the Clio I think itll be time for something newish and fairly quick.

172/182 or ST170 ? Hm!

Octavia VRS

Quote: Originally posted by GeeUK on 04 January 2005

Well, 1.2 Clios are nippy and faster to other 1.2s out there!
Some idiots think that if a car is 1.4 is it faster than a 1.2 16v, but alot of cars are 1.2 8v and only push like 60-65 BHP. Get smoking those Puntos and Polos from the lights ;)
Although I wish I had got a 1.4 16V Alize (the later models) my 1.4 8V is still not that bad for what it is. (spec is really quite good as well for a small car)

I have tried a 1.2 16V Clio and my 1.4 8V feels faster. I have managed 118MPH out of mine (where the law permits of course ;)). Estimated 0-60 time is around 11 secs I would think.

The 1.4 8V and the 1.2 16V push out similar power (about 75bhp)

[Edited by POW_Clio on 05 January 2005 at 3:41am]

Lionel Richie

i know of a 1.2 16v clio that will upset many cups/172/182s around the track and also round the twisties!!!

it all very well having the power, but if the car rolls like a fishing boat in the atlantic, you aint got sh*t TBH!!!

slower cars better setup will 9/10times be quicker round the track

cock mobile.

Quote: Originally posted by Middo on 04 January 2005

Agreed, my Punto Sporting Mk2 was much quicker than other 1.2 16vs around, could play with VTRs all day long!

I would certainly take a 1.2 16v over an 8v, its defo worth any extra costs, and most 1.2 16vs can be quite nippy and plenty of fun.

Quote: Originally posted by entjm on 04 January 2005

That wouldnt make a difference ;)
oops someone else already noticed :devilish:

[Edited by entjm on 04 January 2005 at 11:50pm]
Why would it not make a difference.......i dont understand.

does an empty matchbox fall to the ground at the same speed as one full of pound coins for example?

Its along time since i was at school!!!

R26

lol I have a 182 and a 1.2 16v dynamique and I find the dynamique to be pretty spritely for a 1.2, Especially after having a shot in the 1.2 8v clio, that was a snail - and I mean painfully slow. In fact it was so slow it was f**kin dangerous. The Dynamiques handling was great too. You really could chuck it round corners. I could almost throw that car about as much as my women (rag doll)

P.S Lets not hear any punto chat. I dont think these cars deserve a mention on such a prestigious website and I cant believe I heard the Ford word either especially when matched with the word Ka !!!!!!

Rflol :p

^^^^^ Someone needs to tell the man above me about maximum velocity

[Edited by ESCOBAR on 05 January 2005 at 9:59am]