ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How fun is a 182 as a daily?

I know 1*2 owners love their cars. I see lots of clios on track days so I know they are enjoyable on track. I am buying a car for a daily and want something fun to enjoy.

I just got rid of my previous car (Toyota MR2) because although it was super fun on track, daily driving it had no character and just wasn't any fun, was a bit boring.
I know clios are not fast but they have always really appealed to me, something about them which I just think is really attractive. Particularly the 182 rather than the 172. Every time I've been buying a car, I've looked at a clio, but just never bought one.

But as great handling as they may be I would be disappointed if they only come alive on track. Are they easy to enjoy on normal roads? I used to have a Fiesta ST which many reviews compared to the old school 182. And I had a blast in that car every time I drove it.

What are they like driving every day? I have driven a 172 and 182 and first impressions never amazed me. Yet I find myself inexplicably drawn to them again and again...

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
I daily my Ph1 172 and it is not the first one I have used as a daily car - my old Ph1 was a stripped out track car that I used to commute in for a period.
Can't fault my current one. Its great fun when I want, comfortable, got air con for when it is warmer, easy to drive without the need to thrash it everywhere. I totally forgot about the metal gear knob and it was so cold this morning. But if you are after a Ph2 then you wont have this issue.

I daily my Ph1 172 and it is not the first one I have used as a daily car - my old Ph1 was a stripped out track car that I used to commute in for a period.
Can't fault my current one. Its great fun when I want, comfortable, got air con for when it is warmer, easy to drive without the need to thrash it everywhere. I totally forgot about the metal gear knob and it was so cold this morning. But if you are after a Ph2 then you wont have this issue.
I'd be after a phase 2, probs just the 182.

Do you get used to the driving position easily? Every time I've sat in one it feels really high up, despite the car being so small.

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
I should imagine they are great daily drivers, if properly maintained. As for not being fast, compared to what! Not going to many modern cars as fast as a properly set up 182 in my opinion. It’s plenty fast enough to get you in plenty of trouble! If traffic light drag racing is your thing then yeah maybe you have a point. Remember though even the newest 182’s are now 15 years old. So will need plenty of ongoing maintenance to remain reliable and performing as it should.

Clio 182
Normal 182s are good if not a little old for daily drivers. The AC, auto xenon lights,cruise and traction control make quite a a difference from the cup etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crazylegs

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I use mine as a daily and I've had it just over a year. Sadly it will be for sale in a few months as I need something bigger with five doors and when I say sadly, I truly mean that.

In the short time I've had my 182 I've fallen in love with it, it's such a good, fun car to drive. It's small and light so the lack of power compared to modern stuff really doesn't matter imo. It's more than quick enough, the brakes are brilliant, the chassis is brilliant and it probably has the best steering 'feel' I've ever experienced in a car and I've had some good cars with good steering. I'd even say it has better steering feel and direction than my DC5 Type R which had hydraulic steering.

Without exaggeration, it's probably the best car I've owned just for the sheer pleasure it gives, it's a proper drivers car and you know that as soon as you get in one. The steering wheel and seating position/lack of seating adjustment is about the only thing that let's the 182 down and the interior is dated, as in something from the 80's dated. Apart from that it's pretty much perfect.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
I'd be after a phase 2, probs just the 182.

Do you get used to the driving position easily? Every time I've sat in one it feels really high up, despite the car being so small.
I'm short so I have never noticed. Although I will be putting in bucket seats at some point this year.

As has been said maintenance is key on them now. I bought mine back in June and only just started to use it. I used that time to sort out a few niggles and make it mechanically sound so I could "trust" it. I probably should have bought one a few years back and never got rid of my old one.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Run mine 8 years daily now, recaros on Jon Foz frames help driving position. Cruise and climate make it totally fine day to day and it's great fun to smash about the back roads and doesn't behave too badly on motorway cruises either.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
I've had mine coming on 5 years and done nearly 50k in it. It's not serviced every 6k and it's not washed every week. I've not looked for rust in the usual places. It's had no major MOT fails and only one failure when the alternator died on the way to the MOT last year and the boot solenoid died in Wales! I've done then usual front suspension refresh which if not already done I'd highly recommend, but other than that it's not had any issues.
It does the commute without any effort and when the roads clear it'll take you down it faster than you should go and put a smile on your face every time. The last two years I've done a Wales weekend with a few lads off here and averaged 800 miles on all roads at all paces and it's done 40mpg average. It really is an amazing all round car that you really can't fault at the price.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Second time ownership of mine and used as a daily with me for 7 years.
Frankly, there’s nothing this side of £20k I’d enjoy driving more every day. Yes there’s MUCH better out there in terms of luxury, build quality and creature comforts. Faster, more reliable blah blah.
For me, they’re pennies to own and run, reliable when maintained, economic and frankly the most fun you can have on 4 wheels for the money.

I absolutely adore my little 182.
91511CB5-3D21-4447-8BEC-4E09DECE6982.jpeg

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
I had either a daily valver, ph1 172 or cup packed 182 for nearly 15 years, all made perfect daily drivers for my 40 mile a day commute on rural twisty roads. I have a few hairy moments over the years including having to be towed home in heavy snow in the 182.

Many happy miles!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
you can absolutely daily drive one but they do feel their age now compared to a modern daily of course, I prefer something turbocharged for a daily driver now

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Used mine as a daily for 2/3 years and it was great. It was fun, nippy, great on fuel and always a good laugh when the traffic opened up. The ac and climate control always kept the car comfortable, auto xenon lights and auto wipers were great too. It’s long since been replaced by a pair of 50k bimmers which still have s**t automatic wipers in comparison. They are much better, much faster, much comfier, much better equipped but ultimately much less fun

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I daily drive mine and enjoy it every single time. I'm sure if you were driving down the motorway everyday it wouldn't be ideal.

I should imagine they are great daily drivers, if properly maintained. As for not being fast, compared to what! Not going to many modern cars as fast as a properly set up 182 in my opinion. It’s plenty fast enough to get you in plenty of trouble! If traffic light drag racing is your thing then yeah maybe you have a point. Remember though even the newest 182’s are now 15 years old. So will need plenty of ongoing maintenance to remain reliable and performing as it should.
I test drove a 182 about a year ago and it felt pretty slow. But I was coming from a Fiesta ST which has 50bhp more and way more torque.

I do love drag racing actually 😂 but no a 182 is not going to be even into 14 second drag races lol. I want a car that I can enjoy every day, but I will also do some track days.

I use mine as a daily and I've had it just over a year. Sadly it will be for sale in a few months as I need something bigger with five doors and when I say sadly, I truly mean that.

In the short time I've had my 182 I've fallen in love with it, it's such a good, fun car to drive. It's small and light so the lack of power compared to modern stuff really doesn't matter imo. It's more than quick enough, the brakes are brilliant, the chassis is brilliant and it probably has the best steering 'feel' I've ever experienced in a car and I've had some good cars with good steering. I'd even say it has better steering feel and direction than my DC5 Type R which had hydraulic steering.

Without exaggeration, it's probably the best car I've owned just for the sheer pleasure it gives, it's a proper drivers car and you know that as soon as you get in one. The steering wheel and seating position/lack of seating adjustment is about the only thing that let's the 182 down and the interior is dated, as in something from the 80's dated. Apart from that it's pretty much perfect.
How did it compare to your teg type R?
Last year I bought a Civic Type R (ep3) and I thought it was mega. Very pleased with it but unfortunately I crashed it shortly after purchase.

My plan was to get another Type R now. But the prices have gone insane over the past 6 months. What was being advertised at £2-2.5k last year is now £3.5-4k. And the good ones have gone from £4k to £6k!

So think I may hold off buying another ep3, it would feel really gutting to spend twice as much as I did last time, on the same thing. So I'm looking at other things including the clio 182. As well as the FN2 possibly since I loved the engine/powertrain so much in the ep3.

If you enjoyed your type R and you enjoy the clio just as much, or more, then that's saying something very positive to me :)

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
as a daily its ok but for motorway journeys its 3200 of poorly insulated revs if you are doing 70
Yeah I agree, I've done Kent, York and Oxford to my house on the South Wales border, all three were hard work by the end of the journey.

I'm short so I have never noticed. Although I will be putting in bucket seats at some point this year.

As has been said maintenance is key on them now. I bought mine back in June and only just started to use it. I used that time to sort out a few niggles and make it mechanically sound so I could "trust" it. I probably should have bought one a few years back and never got rid of my old one.
What niggles/issues did you find when you got the car?

Clio182mike

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I've been driving mine for nearly 2 years as a daily and it's a great car for any kind of road driving in my opinion. It's good fun when you open it up above 4k but you can drive it like any other mk2 clio around town etc. Turning circle is poor though. I will (probably) be selling mine at some point due to a company car but it will be after a lot of courage. I had a 172 shi**er before this 182 and even though it was rough, it was very reliable but there is just something I really adored about these cars.

as a daily its ok but for motorway journeys its 3200 of poorly insulated revs if you are doing 70
Yeah I agree, I've done Kent, York and Oxford to my house on the South Wales border, all three were hard work by the end of the journey.

Tbh I don't find that too much of an issue. Long motorway journeys are not that common for me, although I do plenty of miles. A 6th gear would defo be nice though.

That is one of the things I felt when I drove a 182, that the engine feels like it is being thrashed, not sure if that is just the sound, or what. My civic on the other hand sounded orgasmic when you were revving 6, 7, 8k revs and like it was very happy to be at any revs you wanted. Cruising at 3500rpm at 70mph still felt happy.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
What niggles/issues did you find when you got the car?
Car hadn't been used for a period of time so it was just getting it back to 100%. So I gave it a full service - cam belt, dephasher, water pump, aux belt and tensioner, spark plugs, coil pack, HT leads, oil change, air filter, front brake discs and pads and rear break discs and pads. Did put a new exhaust on as the one it came with didn't fit and then fitted original wheels and did the tracking (nearly 3deg toe out explained why it handled like a sack of rubbish) One of the awful noises turned out to be a bad aux belt tensioner so changing that resolved it. It was just mainly to give me confidence that it had all been done. Did a little bit of tarting up too by restoring the plastic trims and that to make it look more presentable. Nothing major really and all things that should be done periodically. More cosmetic work and upgrades to come in the future. This one will not be going track spec like my old one and will still keep the main comforts.

Clio 182, Meg RS250
I absolutely love it, just simple, good fun. I have the choice between the Megane and the Clio, for long trips the Megane is better as it has more mod cons but for everything else, I absolutely love the Clio.

Crazylegs

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I test drove a 182 about a year ago and it felt pretty slow. But I was coming from a Fiesta ST which has 50bhp more and way more torque.

I do love drag racing actually [emoji23] but no a 182 is not going to be even into 14 second drag races lol. I want a car that I can enjoy every day, but I will also do some track days.

How did it compare to your teg type R?
Last year I bought a Civic Type R (ep3) and I thought it was mega. Very pleased with it but unfortunately I crashed it shortly after purchase.

My plan was to get another Type R now. But the prices have gone insane over the past 6 months. What was being advertised at £2-2.5k last year is now £3.5-4k. And the good ones have gone from £4k to £6k!

So think I may hold off buying another ep3, it would feel really gutting to spend twice as much as I did last time, on the same thing. So I'm looking at other things including the clio 182. As well as the FN2 possibly since I loved the engine/powertrain so much in the ep3.

If you enjoyed your type R and you enjoy the clio just as much, or more, then that's saying something very positive to me :)
Hi mate, I've posted elsewhere on the forum re the DC5 so I won't go into all of that again but I far prefer the way the Clio drives to the Integra. The Teg gearbox and gear change is far better than the Clio, the Clio has a pretty sloppy box really but all other aspects are better, it's a better drivers car than the Honda imo and tbh, the power difference between the two is minimal. My Teg was 237 brake and really, you wouldn't notice the difference in power once the Clio gets going. It's also better on its toes than the Integra. It's a long stroke engine so don't be expecting it to rev out like a K20, it has totally different driving characteristics.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
They’re like road going go-karts.

Incredibly fun when you’re in the mood.
A bit frustrating when you’re not.

They are not very quick in a straight line by modern standards, and honestly not that fast in the corners either. That’s what makes them fun to drive; because they work best when thrashed, and you can reach those limits easily. But they’re also pretty noisy, and a bit fragile.

Great cars for 2-3k but beyond that there are better options IMO

I just got rid of my previous car (Toyota MR2) because although it was super fun on track, daily driving it had no character and just wasn't any fun, was a bit boring.
Would be interested in any further feedback on why the MR2 didn't fit the bill...specifically why it was great on track but not on road. That would be useful to help frame any comments about Clios.

As you don't do a lot of motorways OP I would have expected a car that's good on track to also be a good daily for your usage. The main differences as I see it is that you need more compliant suspension on the road, and possibly more soundproofing.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
If you want 1*2 type of fun, but want a newer car - You should check out a RS Twingo

Hi mate, I've posted elsewhere on the forum re the DC5 so I won't go into all of that again but I far prefer the way the Clio drives to the Integra. The Teg gearbox and gear change is far better than the Clio, the Clio has a pretty sloppy box really but all other aspects are better, it's a better drivers car than the Honda imo and tbh, the power difference between the two is minimal. My Teg was 237 brake and really, you wouldn't notice the difference in power once the Clio gets going. It's also better on its toes than the Integra. It's a long stroke engine so don't be expecting it to rev out like a K20, it has totally different driving characteristics.
The only superior aspect is the gearbox? Not... that engine? :[

When I drove a 182 it really felt a bit strained(?) when revving it high, which is the opposite of the k20 ofc.

They’re like road going go-karts.

Incredibly fun when you’re in the mood.
A bit frustrating when you’re not.

They are not very quick in a straight line by modern standards, and honestly not that fast in the corners either. That’s what makes them fun to drive; because they work best when thrashed, and you can reach those limits easily. But they’re also pretty noisy, and a bit fragile.

Great cars for 2-3k but beyond that there are better options IMO
That's partly why I am tempted by one now. It won't be too long before you have to spend £4k+ to get into a reasonable shape 182 i would imagine. And when it reaches that point tbh my interest would not be enough to buy it.

Would be interested in any further feedback on why the MR2 didn't fit the bill...specifically why it was great on track but not on road. That would be useful to help frame any comments about Clios.

As you don't do a lot of motorways OP I would have expected a car that's good on track to also be a good daily for your usage. The main differences as I see it is that you need more compliant suspension on the road, and possibly more soundproofing.
This was a mk3 MR2. It was just... uninspiring? Like if you wanted to accelerate relatively quickly you can definitely do it, I just never found any desire to do so, like the car was really unresponsive and unengaging. On track it really surprised me by how good it was. On road I felt like I couldn't tell where the limit was and the car wasn't encouraging me to drive it hard, in the same way that my previous cars have. For reference my car ownership history is- MX-5 -> Fiesta ST -> ep3 type R -> MR2

The MR2 being a kind of gentle going roadster, it had very soft suspension which gives you no confidence to rag it round corners, at least not in a public road environment.

Clio 182
Interesting, an MR2 is one of the cars I'd consider replacing my 182 with.

The seat position is weird and took me a good month or two to get used to. I don't notice it any more - you get used to it! Despite what others say, I think they have plenty enough pull at lower revs for bimbling around town, and controversially I think the interiors are pretty smart - certainly no worse than the other cars on my drive (Mazda2 and R56 Mini, Fiat 500). Rides over crappy road surfaces pretty well. I find it a bit thrashy on long motorway drives, could do with another gear IMO.

I would have imagined that if your MR2 was too soft for the road it would have been too soft for the track. Usually it's the other way around - cars tuned for track are too stiff for the road.

The lack of confidence may have been due to mid-engined layout - an MR2 is not a car to dance on the limit on the road. On the other hand any Clio will be much easier to drive right up to and at the limit - like any FWD platform it's basically a forgiving understeer-biased setup but Clios in particular respond very well to a bit of trail-braking or lift off to get the car rotating, without the risk of losing it completely that a mid-engined car presents.

Most drivetrains pale in comparison to a K20 engine and 'box. The F4R in the Clio is definitely much more gruff and unrefined and less pleasant to rev hard. But there is very little that can compare to a VTEC motor until you add cylinders. In modern turbo motors you don't notice it as much because all the grunt is in the mid-range and there's no need to redline it. But in the Clio like an EP3 you do need to use the revs to get it to move.

CFAB

ClioSport Trader
  Cliosport 182 ff
If you want 1*2 type of fun, but want a newer car - You should check out a RS Twingo

Terrible advice, my mum had one and it was awful..... I’d much rather have a standard Clio than one of these. Tiny, rattley, not quick considering, noisey and cheap.

A 182 is far better in everyday and better equipped and cheaper.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Don't think anyone's mentioned how economical they are - like unbelievable smiles per miles ratio. Mine averages 31, driving carefully but not slowly its like 36, diving like a nun its 40mpg. I can't find any other cars which have such a high ratio of value for money and fun.

A healthy 182 is quicker than an EP3 (just, if that even matters), Clio with cup pack handles better and I think rides better and is an easier daily drive imo. As said gearbox and change isn't a patch on the Civic and I find the Civic more of a livable size if you occasionally need to cart stuff or people about.

Clio is cheap to maintain and mine hasn't been dreadfully unreliable. Like the EP3 they are no longer going down in value so its unlikely you'll lose money.

I bought a fairly untidy 182 as a temporary 'get to work' car while I was repairing my M3 converted touring, I've ended up keeping both as the Clio was such cheap fun and I would rather put miles etc. on that than nearly anything else. FN2 is a chore to drive by comparison due to the lack of low rpm grunt which on my journey with traffic was an annoyance and other than interior space and reliability has nothing on a decent Clio.

If you do get a 182 I would personally bank on doing a few jobs in the short term, rust prevention, belts and going through the (very simple) suspension replacing and upgrading bushes. Mine with a spring kit, new OEM shocks and bushes all round is brilliant fun and I'm really enjoying driving it again.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Other things to point out are a heavy clutch compared to anything Honda and the poor driving position which I see has already been mentioned. I'm a short arse so seats aren't as bad for me as they are for others but there are of course options if thats a problem for you.

I am undecided over how much longer I will keep the Clio but one of the biggest factors is I just can't find something to replace it with that isn't +20k Its really important to have something fun as a daily for me, boring cars just eat your sole after a year sat in traffic. The occasional clear roads make up for the hours off dull driving.

I would have imagined that if your MR2 was too soft for the road it would have been too soft for the track. Usually it's the other way around - cars tuned for track are too stiff for the road.

The lack of confidence may have been due to mid-engined layout - an MR2 is not a car to dance on the limit on the road. On the other hand any Clio will be much easier to drive right up to and at the limit - like any FWD platform it's basically a forgiving understeer-biased setup but Clios in particular respond very well to a bit of trail-braking or lift off to get the car rotating, without the risk of losing it completely that a mid-engined car presents.

Most drivetrains pale in comparison to a K20 engine and 'box. The F4R in the Clio is definitely much more gruff and unrefined and less pleasant to rev hard. But there is very little that can compare to a VTEC motor until you add cylinders. In modern turbo motors you don't notice it as much because all the grunt is in the mid-range and there's no need to redline it. But in the Clio like an EP3 you do need to use the revs to get it to move.
That's what I thought, and indeed on track it did feel a bit soft, but it surprised me just how far "into" the limit I could push the car. But still, it gives very little feedback, and on the road I not only had no confidence in pushing it, but I also had no desire to, as it didn't feel rewarding to drive quickly. Again, different in a track environment where it is safe to go fast as hell and lap by lap feel myself taking corners quicker and quicker.

If i got a clio I would definitely not be expecting it to be as good as the ep3 engine :)

Don't think anyone's mentioned how economical they are - like unbelievable smiles per miles ratio. Mine averages 31, driving carefully but not slowly its like 36, diving like a nun its 40mpg. I can't find any other cars which have such a high ratio of value for money and fun.

A healthy 182 is quicker than an EP3 (just, if that even matters), Clio with cup pack handles better and I think rides better and is an easier daily drive imo. As said gearbox and change isn't a patch on the Civic and I find the Civic more of a livable size if you occasionally need to cart stuff or people about.

Clio is cheap to maintain and mine hasn't been dreadfully unreliable. Like the EP3 they are no longer going down in value so its unlikely you'll lose money.

I bought a fairly untidy 182 as a temporary 'get to work' car while I was repairing my M3 converted touring, I've ended up keeping both as the Clio was such cheap fun and I would rather put miles etc. on that than nearly anything else. FN2 is a chore to drive by comparison due to the lack of low rpm grunt which on my journey with traffic was an annoyance and other than interior space and reliability has nothing on a decent Clio.

If you do get a 182 I would personally bank on doing a few jobs in the short term, rust prevention, belts and going through the (very simple) suspension replacing and upgrading bushes. Mine with a spring kit, new OEM shocks and bushes all round is brilliant fun and I'm really enjoying driving it again.
Thanks for your reply.

I'm hoping that this would be pretty cheap, I know the engines are pretty frugal, my concern is more about things going wrong.

I don't doubt the Clio handles better. Does the cup pack matter? I thought it was just a trim level? Spoiler, splitter, wheels, its all cosmetic, right?
If you've had an EP3 and a 182 and you found the 182 more "livable" then that's reassuring as my ep3 was a fantastic daily do-everything car, Very comfortable, spacious, good ride, space for mates in the back, reasonable on fuel, etc. Obviously the clio is a size smaller.

P.s. - ep3 is definitely faster than a clio 182 ;)

I think the fact so many people on here have had so many 1*2s or have come back to them is all the evidence you need.
Yeah a very fair point!

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
I've had 3 R5 turbo's, 2 megane 225's, an ibiza Cupra, an Integrale and a 106 GTI, all of which lasted 2 years before changing. My 182 has been with me for nearly 5 years. I can't convince myself that there's anything out there that won't cost me 400x more a month that's going to be better.