ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How high temperatures can rear disc bearing and ABS ring withstand?

220 Trophy
I’m fitting new discs & pads all round and have sprayed the ‘bell’ part of the rear discs with high-temperature paint (the fronts are already painted/coated). Its recommended to heat treat the paint once applied therefore ordinarily I would stick the disc in the oven for say 30 mins at 200c.

But the rear discs have integral bearings and also a plastic/rubber looking ABS ring.

So before I go and stick them in the oven, does anyone know please what kind of heat the bearing and ABS ring would have been designed to withstand?

And therefore how long and how high temp I am safe to bake the discs at?

Thanks!

Think you've answered your own question if they have plastic/rubber on them. Although I cant see an ABS ring being either material.

220 Trophy
Agreed, although they must be able to withstand a certain amount of heat – just how much and for who long? We’ve all seen discs glowing red-hot therefore the bearing must be able to withstand a certain amount of heat…

The ABS ring is definitely plastic or hard rubber, with as far as I understand a magnetic contact/s inside that triggers the reader on the hub. Rather than a metal toothed version.

406 V6, Race Buggy
Most common plastics/rubbers will be in trouble by about 110-120c, the grease will be struggling too if you go much higher if they're pre-lubed cassette bearings.

The other issue is most permanent magnets will loose their magnetism somewhere between 80-120c.

Last edited:
  220 Trophy
Great thanks Philip, so what in your opinion would be a perfectly safe temperate to use and for how long? Its just to cure/bake the paint....

406 V6, Race Buggy
I'd be reluctant to take it over 80c unless I knew the exact spec of the magnetic encoder - chances are it's a high temperature one that will do 120c, but you never know....

220 Trophy
Thanks Philip, 80c is pretty hot and I would hope would bake the paint. Does it matter how long I 'cook' them for or is that irrelevant?

30 mins??

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
I wouldn't cook them at all mate, just slap it back together once they've dried overnight.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
It's only recommended that the paint get cured, and since it's probably never going to acutally see high temperatures just don't bother.

You only run the risk of f**king up the bearing or ABS ring, whats the point?

220 Trophy
Ah I see, thanks.

The problem with the paint is that although its dried its still very soft and easily marked just by lightly catching with a fingernail. It sems like it needs to be cured/baked/heat-treated to harden it up a bit.

I was hoping that say 30 mins at say 80c would harden the paint a bit....

Its not Enamel, just Halfords "High Temperature Paint", even one of the reviews said to bake it after applying the paint. The only problem in all this is that my discs have integral bearings and ABS ring, otherwise there wouldn't be a problem.

406 V6, Race Buggy
You're not really going to catch it with anything once it's fitted though? And the brake heat should cure it with a few cycles...