ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How is the Clio 200 on the motorway?

FormulaFord Ecoboost
I'd quite like one but as my commute is about to jump to 18k miles a year (mainly motorway), I'm not overly convinced that a 200 is really an option.

How do you find it on the motorway? Clearly a 'cup' version isn't an option.

I'm desperately trying to avoid boring, fuel efficient, sensible cars!

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
They do about 4krpm @ 70mph and pull OK from 70 - 90. Not overly tiring to drive, a bit loud but not that bad. Quite firm as well. The fuel consumption will put you off if you're doing 18k p/a though. From high wycombe to sheffield I averaged 28mph sat at 70/80mph.

S2H

RS Clio 200
Definitely not 4000rpm in 6th at 70!! More like 3500, could actually be less i'll check later. Good car on the motorway, pulls good in 6th and not too noisy. But don't expect to see anymore than 30mpg even on long distance.

Suzuki Jimny
I find mine fine, and that's with cup suspension. I would try both chassis' out and see if they're bearable for you.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
I'd quite like one but as my commute is about to jump to 18k miles a year (mainly motorway), I'm not overly convinced that a 200 is really an option.

How do you find it on the motorway? Clearly a 'cup' version isn't an option.

I'm desperately trying to avoid boring, fuel efficient, sensible cars!

Mines cupped & fine on the motorways, I have driven it down to bath from Kent which is a few hours in one go and it's been fine. Mines had the silencers removed as well & still wasn't bad.

My commute is down b roads & country lanes which the 200 is perfect for. It does get pulled around a little by the tram lines in the road tho & pot holes feel more like you've hit a moon crater lol.

MPG isn't great but you get used to it. & it pulls well in 6th imo.

I drive my cup version with recaros on the motorway, do around 25 miles on the Motorway a day and I find the fuel the biggest issue, even at 70 you won't see over 30mpg. Drop to 60 and I have seen 36mpg.

Personally I don't have a problem with the ride, the Recaro's are one of the most comfortable seats I've sat in!

S2H

RS Clio 200
forgot to say cup chassis if fine on the motorway, not uncomfortable at all.

Ash.

North West
ClioSport Area Rep
I've never seen mine get to 30mpg yet but I do like it on the motorway.

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
I did a 230 mile round trip a month or so ago in my 200 cup, I averaged 31MPG varying between 60 and 80 MPh.

Cup isn't bad, as long as you don't hit pot holes lol

They are not uncomfortable at all on the motorway. What would be uncomfortable is emptying your wallet from filling up with petrol.

edit just did some simple maths as its all I can cope with lol.

The boyfriend gets around 300 miles a tank mainly motorway miles. 18000/300 = 60 tanks of petrol = £3900

SJM'd197'dBTM'd 182
They are not uncomfortable on the motorway, mine is FF on h&r's, not much noticeable wind or road noise, exhaust is fine, if you really listen hard there is a sweet spot when it becomes almost unnoticeable.
Fuel is the problem with motorways, drop the speed down to 60-65 and there is defiantly a noticeable difference, but then it is irritating going slowly.

PB Clio 172
They do about 4krpm @ 70mph and pull OK from 70 - 90. Not overly tiring to drive, a bit loud but not that bad. Quite firm as well. The fuel consumption will put you off if you're doing 18k p/a though. From high wycombe to sheffield I averaged 28mph sat at 70/80mph.

I think you mean 28 mpg lol

They may be ok on the motorway but seeings you can get high 40's In a 1*2 and you can buy them for next to nothing get a older clio or a dci

RB 200
mine has the cup chassis too and its really fun .. drive to bristol from newcastle to visit my mam pretty often and its never uncomfortable or boring nor does the fun ever stop ... its acceleration throughout the gears is fantastic .. and means fun for winding up clowns who come flying up your backside... and also .. the speed restrictor / cruise control make it less worrying in the average speed areas!

certainly wouldn't let it put you off

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Really hope the new clio has sensible gearing in 6th, if i get one, it will spend many many miles on the motorway at 80-100.

172/182 are brilliant for the motorway.

The 200 is a different kettle of fish. I hated mines for motorway driving and lasted a month before getting rid of it. Minimum of 90 miles a day. :(

Clio 200 FF
I drove mine back from the dealers when i bought it (80 miles) and averaged 32-34mpg at 70-80mph, driving to work each day at 40mph on an 8 mile commute i still average 26-28mpg

exhaust drones slightly but you get used to it, potholes and bumps on a and b roads are unsettling (cup pack), 6th gear should be higher as revs are around 4k at 70mph

Not a bad car tbh for day to day - i expected a lot worse before i bought mine

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I reckon you'd do over 40mpg at 55, drafting behind a lorry downhill.

320d
My ph1 172 would show 44mpg on the computer at an indicated 70mph. My 182 is more like 37mpg at 70ish.

At the minute I'm only averaging 29mpg but generally drive it as fast as it will go everywhere.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
My Cup does 44mpg no hassle whatsoever. 400+ to a tank is quite easy.

Only 197/200 owners dont want to believe it and i dont blame them :cool:

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
My Cup does 44mpg no hassle whatsoever. 400+ to a tank is quite easy.

Only 197/200 owners dont want to believe it and i dont blame them :cool:

44mpg isn't high 40's though is it? 44 is mid 40's.

I have no problems accepting the mpg is shocking on the 197, i'm averaging 28mpg maximum. What I do object to is claims of 1,000,000 miles to a teaspoon of petrol that seem to pop up on here very regularly. It seems like its the only thing 1*2 drivers have to brag about over 197/200 owners, so is focused on way to much!

Clio 182
25-30mpg on the motorway doing 60 - 70.
Cup was never an issue for me, its just annoying filling up so often, and quite saddening stacking up all those miles on your pride and joy :(

ff cup ur 200
ive got a ff 200 with recaro seats which are super comfy i specced the cup chassis after much deliberation and have never regretted it, like most on here have already said they are fine on the motorway but in the 8000 miles ive covered since new have only managed 29.2 mpg but im sure that would improve on the motorway as my average is very mixed/fun, i dont mind the mpg thing the worst thing i ever did was go from a mk5 r32 to a 170 tdi scirroco which i suffered for over 2 yrs before i went running back to petrol, buy a 200 you wont regret it.

E92 325D
I drove from Huntingdon to Cardiff, barely touching the pedal, cruise control set to 70. Saw no more than 27mpg out of my 200.

Mine is also cup packed and recaro'd. Just make sure you go for a full fat not a basic cup as i wouldnt be able to live with how basic they are.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
The MPG for 197/200's is f**king laughable!

Agreed, and nobody is disputing that.

I can get 35mpg if I drive at 65-70. I went to Snowdon and back late last year and sat with the CC set to 70 all the way there and back and achieved 33mpg however the trip computer does under read in my opinion. On that journey I brimmed the tank then brimmed it again afterwards and it worked out at 35mpg.

Of course it will be worse than a 1*2, it makes more power and has more weight to carry. Personally I think the 1*2 is the freak, not many 2.0 N/A cars with 170+ bhp can achieve 40+mpg.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
25-30mpg on the motorway doing 60 - 70.
Cup was never an issue for me, its just annoying filling up so often, and quite saddening stacking up all those miles on your pride and joy :(

If I spent 15k+ on a new car, I'd want as many miles per £ as possible.

Cars are designed for driving.

Why would you be bothered about putting miles on a car which sole purpose (essentially) is to be driven ?!

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Cars are designed for driving.

I'm with you on this, all the 197's that are on <30k miles makes me laugh! Get out there and drive them! There are people that think 10k a year is HIGH mileage!

My car had done an average of 13k a year when I bought it, people thought I was mad!

Last edited:

Starlet_gt

ClioSport Club Member
  VW T5.1
I'm with you on this, all the 197's that are on <30k miles makes me laugh! Get out there and drive them! There are people that think 10k a year is HIGH mileage!

My care had done an average of 13k a year when I bought it, people thought I was mad!

completely agree, I've owned my 197 since last August and i've put 8k on it.... 10k a year is sod all!

FormulaFord Ecoboost
I drove from Huntingdon to Cardiff, barely touching the pedal, cruise control set to 70. Saw no more than 27mpg out of my 200.

Mine is also cup packed and recaro'd. Just make sure you go for a full fat not a basic cup as i wouldnt be able to live with how basic they are.

Using cruise control is worse for fuel economy due to the way in which cruise control is actually constantly adjusting the throttle rather than just keeping it steady (relatively) with your foot.

When I've driven the 172ph1 on the motorway it was surprisingly good, I could get 40mpg without too much difficulty. Unfortunately, it's noisy and therefore unsuitable for long journeys.

Last edited:
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Using cruise control is worse for fuel economy due to the way in which cruise control is actually constantly adjusting the throttle rather than just keeping it steady (relatively) with your foot.

Yes this can be the case as continually moving the throttle can trigger transient fuelling responses which cause the car to stray from lambda control, not sure if the 197 specifically does this but some cars can.

When I've driven the 172ph1 on the motorway it was surprisingly good, I could get 40mph without too much difficulty. Unfortunately, it's noisy and therefore unsuitable for long journeys.
40mph on the motorway? Were you towing something heavy.

Seriously though, 40mpg in a 172 is easily achievable :)

E92 325D

When I've driven the 172ph1 on the motorway it was surprisingly good, I could get 40mph without too much difficulty. Unfortunately, it's noisy and therefore unsuitable for long journeys.

Tis true...but it was a long drive.

When i use my car for my week to drive the lift share, 70 miles a day for a week, Cambridge town driving and short glimpses of nearly 60mph, i see 35mpg average with a full car of adults.

Its not all bad

I have a 182 'FF' and my mileage is usually about 15-20k a year, mostly motorway as well and its really not a very good car for the motorway, yeah it gets good mpg for the performance but that's the only good thing about it on the motorway tbh :lolup: I have only lasted about 4 months and it's time to get rid of mine :boring:

Haven't sat in a 200, but have been in a 197 and would say it's the same as the as the 182, not some where you really want to be on longer motorway trips imo

But it depends what you are coming from as well. I came from a mk4 golf that had full leather heated recaros and was sooooooo much more comfy and a nicer place to be/sit then the 182.