ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How many miles on a tankful

I have a MK2 172 and run it on super unleaded. I only seem to get 250 miles per tankful at the most, although when I first got the car is was nearer to 300 so I think the fuel gauge may be inaccurate....how many miles do other 172 owners get to a tankful of mixed driving?

cheers,

normally 300-310 never use the fuel gauge tho use the trip computer as when the fuel gauge is reading just over half a tank normally i have only driven about 100 miles :( it lies i tell you it tells damn lies

Yep 250-300 is the right sort of area, the trip seems to think that for a full tank and 30 odd mpg I should get about 310 but it never seems to happen. I get a bit trigger happy and lead footed and I end up dropping the mpg to the teens for a few miles. Such are the joys of happing such a fun car. I do notice that the time that effects the consumption the most is booting it from cold which will destrory a good record on the trip in moments

MB

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

also 300 miles or so.. if i thrash the tits of it non stop then expect it down near the 200 miles region

Blimey I like to think I give my car some punishment but 200!

I recently tried to keep revs below 3000 to see what it would do to fuel comsumption, I managed it for about 8 minutes but in that time I saw a couple of .1s mpg increase and this was after driving for 150mile at usual pace. I think that keeping below the 3000 mark would get going on for 350miles on a tank, but I think I would be asleep at the wheel before I could get through a full tank without flooring it, unless of course I had the other half in the car!

MB

Had my works fuel card taken away end if march, but theyre paying be what I was using + extra to offset tax, but paying me in arrears so for once I thought Id drive my car sensibly (!!!!!) to see what sort of mpg could get. Although I reckon I ran it down to the last litre, I got 390 miles out of it but that was driving it more or less under 3k all the way with the exception of a 3 mile uphill stretch of the a41 flat out. surprised me, Im sure its about half that normally!

Quote: Originally posted by Matblack on 11 April 2003

I think that keeping below the 3000 mark would get going on for 350miles on a tank, but I think I would be asleep at the wheel before I could get through a full tank without flooring it, unless of course I had the other half in the car!

MB
LOL I actually found it dangerous driving at senible speeds because I just couldnt keep concentration, I was so bored. Cars appear in your blind spot so quickly. I find If Im driving quickly I am always on the lookout for something to go pete tong.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by Jonny Disco on 11 April 2003

Quote: Originally posted by Matblack on 11 April 2003

I think that keeping below the 3000 mark would get going on for 350miles on a tank, but I think I would be asleep at the wheel before I could get through a full tank without flooring it, unless of course I had the other half in the car!

MB
LOL I actually found it dangerous driving at senible speeds because I just couldnt keep concentration, I was so bored. Cars appear in your blind spot so quickly. I find If Im driving quickly I am always on the lookout for something to go pete tong.

That really is sooo true..

You find yourself driving along.. then you will be away in a dream thinking about wierd sh*t to yourself.. then you think.. jesus christ.. was that light red.. I dont remember looking out the front windscreen for the past 10 minutes..

but ofcourse you have been and you have been paying attention, but also you mind has been wandering.. when I am driving fast my mind is totally on the road.