ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How many miles with the oil light on?

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.
Didn't fith gear try this some time ago.

iirc a n/a car should beable to go for 50 miles normal driving, but not recommended.

liquidized RacingBlue 182
what i dont get ya?

seems wen i park on a weird angle ( other side of the road ) it comes on but i really shood get it filled up i did check it and seemd enough!

R35 GTR
msa182 said:
Didn't fith gear try this some time ago.

iirc a n/a car should beable to go for 50 miles normal driving, but not recommended.

thats encouraging then. only did a few hundred yards, then realised why it was flashing on and off when i got out the car.

It will be booked in at renault in the morning, the AA guy thinks it fooked.lol.

106 GTi
Don't sound good Dave, have seen bottom ends die when the light only comes on for a few seconds. :(

A4 Avant & A3
Mine has come on twice recently, but thats only when i park over night on the front of my drive which is a bit of a sideways angle. never had it any other time. might just need a top up.

R35 GTR
Norris_309 said:
Mine has come on twice recently, but thats only when i park over night on the front of my drive which is a bit of a sideways angle. never had it any other time. might just need a top up.

lol, thats an understatement, needs more than a top up.

172cup
vroom vroom done a series of tests that everyone always wanted to know the answer to.

They undone the sump plug... and drove hard for like hours. they couldn't get it to die. in the end they put it in first gear and ran for ages at max rpm until eventually everything dropped out the bottom of the engine bay.

don't reckon at any point prior to they engine disintegrating... that it was ever in a state where you could confidently say you ran your car with no oil and caused no damage.

always used Slick50 in my cars... just in case something like that does happen. Swear by the stuff.

R35 GTR
well i hope this is the case, but I really want to know why this has happened.

I know I am gonna get to renault today, and the new cocky receptionist guy will start it up and go " It's fine sir".....:clown:

my oil pump failed on my Williams and I idle'd it off the motorway, coasted round the RA and in total did about 500m since the warning light came on... result was a new bottom end... so really it can be 5 meters or 5 miles, you never know, but tbh expect the worse I'm sorry to say.

Monaco Blue 172
i only ever refilled my rover when the oil light began to flicker on roundabouts... never did it any harm tho i know its not ideal! was weird tho, i'd check it religiously to start with and no change, then i forgot it for a while and it all disappeared?!

R35 GTR
TheJesus said:
my oil pump failed on my Williams and I idle'd it off the motorway, coasted round the RA and in total did about 500m since the warning light came on... result was a new bottom end... so really it can be 5 meters or 5 miles, you never know, but tbh expect the worse I'm sorry to say.

It's still in warranty until next month, I will be happy to get a new engine for free, as it will mean the car is worth more. But what the hell....its only money.:(

R

Rebecca

Leeshez said:
Fill it up it will be cheaper in the long run.

It emptied itself ,got to get it fixed before we fill her up again. Not going anywhere in it for a good while now.:dapprove:

cock mobile.
Umm, I'd be really worried if my light came on!

Generally speaking if the lights on, it's too late :eek:

Fill it up now, as in don't drive anywhere, get some oil and put it in!

Chances are it will be ok for a bit, but I would not chance it another 10 foot.

R35 GTR
sh33n said:
Umm, I'd be really worried if my light came on!

Generally speaking if the lights on, it's too late :eek:

Fill it up now, as in don't drive anywhere, get some oil and put it in!

Chances are it will be ok for a bit, but I would not chance it another 10 foot.

sorry mate, too late, I have lost all the oil out the engine. Only realised when I got out the car. The light was only on for a second or so then went out. Then came on again as I was turned round, then off again. I got out of car to find oil everywhere in engine bay.:(

I wasnt even ragging it, and it hadnt been used for over 24 hours, so oil was cool/thick and pressures would be even higher.

I'm just glad i didnt do it on my trip down the A5. It was hard enough getting towed 3 miles to renault, let alone having to do it 70 miles.

cock mobile.
Oil everywhere?

Slightly worrying :S

Good luck with it mate, hope Reno don't rape you for some stupid fix.

R35 GTR
loads in bottom front of engine, plus its sprayed over my nice shiny plenum and fuel rail guards.:(

My drivers wheel and arch is soaked too.

R

Rebecca

Does anyone know what kind of damage the oil will do to the paint finish, would this be a complete respray or would it be touched up and polished? Seems that it will be a lot of fixing needed if it is a new engine and a new paint job too.

Rebecca said:
Does anyone know what kind of damage the oil will do to the paint finish, would this be a complete respray or would it be touched up and polished? Seems that it will be a lot of fixing needed if it is a new engine and a new paint job too.

knowing wolves and they're touch ups , i'd defo be worried , should clean off though easily :eek:

R

Rebecca

Hope so I know it seems silly worrying about paint when the car is bleeding to death but we try to keep these cars looking minty and it is a complete uphill struggle all the way. Should we ring renault up and ask them to clean it asap even if they can't fix it straight away, will the oil do more damage if it is on longer?