ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

how muc petrol left once light comes on

200 FF Storm Grey
If you coast in gear then you're obviously going to slow faster than if you coast in Neutral. The trick is working out which one is more fuel efficient for your car / road conditions.

Eg Coasting down a 40 mile hill in gear will save more fuel than coasting down it in Neutral.

But how many 40 mile hills do you know ;).

I don't think it does mate, I aint the most mechanically minded of guys but iirc when the car is out of gear it uses more fuel just in order to keep it ticking over where as the gears them selves would usually keep the engine turning over without a need for fuel (when you're slowing down) so say you're coming upto traffic lights, if you leave it in gear and let it slow down by itself you're using no petrol (or as good as)

PS 200
I don't think it does mate, I aint the most mechanically minded of guys but iirc when the car is out of gear it uses more fuel just in order to keep it ticking over where as the gears them selves would usually keep the engine turning over without a need for fuel (when you're slowing down) so say you're coming upto traffic lights, if you leave it in gear and let it slow down by itself you're using no petrol (or as good as)
I aint talking about general driving though.

I'm talking about trying to get 5000 miles out of a tank of fuel.

If you coast in gear you'll slow down quicker - then you'll have to speed up again and repeat. Coasting out of gear means that you slow down over greater distances and (depending on the car) probably getter more miles per tank.

There's even forums dedicated to this sort of pish :eek:

http://www.gassavers.org/forumdisplay.php?f=69

Anyway - I couldn't give a $hite - I don't coast in or out of gear - race up to the lights in 3rd and slam on the anchors at the last minute if they don't change to green :D.

Fill up with 100 miles range left - life's too short to run out of fuel :)

I never trust it tbh.. I put in £20 of V-power the other day after the tank was nearly completely empty. Apparently the tank is 11 gallons? well £20 filled the tank up to just under a quarter, and after i'd used 2 gallons the gauge read completely empty. So I just go by £5 = around 0.8 gallons on the trip computer, just to be safe, and then ignore the petrol light :approve:

clio 182
got to 46miles on the petrol light, trip said ive just about 10ish gallons so only one gallon "left" but didnt wanna risk it any longer now i know i can do this many miles. i now know if need be i can get to work and back on n still have enough to find a petrol station.

filled up n went to work and back and the trip is saying 33.7mpg! bonus never seen it this high! was sitting at 26/27/28 before i did this test, but the last tank did have some fuel cleaner in it, thats ment to clean the lines etc n improve performance n running and mpg.... on this tank after running so low i put the injector cleaner in, just incase any crap went down that way from tank

Astra SRI/ Hornet
Light comes on at 34 miles left in mine. Sick of seeing it TBH. Lol I did about 30 miles on the light last weekend but never ran out of petrol in my life and don't plan to.

Clio RS 172 Cup blue
my light came on coming home from cadwell, just as i got to humberside airport, never hung about either on the way back to mkt weighton racing a gtr skyline, and its roughly 40 mile. it did it but was touch and go!!

I can't remember exact number of miles but I'd been going a while on the red light. Filled up with fuel and managed to get 39.97 litres in to the 40 litre tank.

clio 182
more of the fact, that people are just interested in how far they'll get like me just incase i cant afford to put petrol in before pay day etc

like i now know i can get to work and back on petrol light if need be, where as before i didnt know if i could. i did the miles i needed on light then filled up

200 FF Storm Grey
I aint talking about general driving though.

I'm talking about trying to get 5000 miles out of a tank of fuel.

If you coast in gear you'll slow down quicker - then you'll have to speed up again and repeat. Coasting out of gear means that you slow down over greater distances and (depending on the car) probably getter more miles per tank.

There's even forums dedicated to this sort of pish :eek:

http://www.gassavers.org/forumdisplay.php?f=69

Anyway - I couldn't give a $hite - I don't coast in or out of gear - race up to the lights in 3rd and slam on the anchors at the last minute if they don't change to green :D.

Fill up with 100 miles range left - life's too short to run out of fuel :)

*high five*

I used £10 of fuel yesterday going to work and back, it's only 40 mile round trip :-\ lol

Skoda fabia Vrs
my work is 1.4 miles away. like 14 miles a week ha.. less than a fiver.

infact i could walk lol... not at half 5 in the morning though so i will continue to drive:cool:

i get about 230 to a tank in twingo 40 litres/8.8 gallons. getting about 26mpg haha!!!

Bit annoyed that my car doesnt come with a trip comp and an 172/182 do:mad: