ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

how much oil does everyone use

10ltrs! tad much

mines uses about 1ltr ever 2k or so, but alot get burnt in the vapour system on valvers with the bore sprays.

18k isnt new.

I dont work with the 1.2 since they were never sold at my dealers in HK, so maybe they naturally burn alot of oil, but it seems excessive for a small capacity low output engine.

the dealer game me a load of crap saying its normal and it would settle down but i just keeps using it litre after litre! personally i think there is something wrong!

they havent swapped it for a 2stroke engine have they lol.

take it back mate must b underwarrenty stil????? wouldnt say it was normal to burn that much oil, u got blue smoke outta ur zorst at all??

also brought this up in another fourm both my clios from new has used alot of oil ma 1.2 16v which i redline everygear uses about 7-8 ltr top ups between services

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

renault say anything under about 1 litre per 700 miles is within their specifications.oil consumption should get less as the engine does more mileage.

Lionel Richie

that aint right!!!! i havent ever had to top up my oil (now on 52K) but i change it every 6-10K depending on how much cash i have (i run it on fully syn)

erm no that aint right my brother just had to take his car back to renault cause he used 4.5 litres in 16000 miles. His car kept cutting out at 4k and thats when they reckon the car was dumping the oil. They reckon his oil seal is busted.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4

mine has done 22.5k now, it is driven like a racing car, i have not had to put a single extra drop of oil into it

strange and is it not bad for our engines to use fully synthetic as i seen a bit in strathy saying the oil is to thin and makes ur piston seals wear faster or summit like this i use semi

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

lol!

i did 36,000 miles in my 1.2 16v without a change and i topped it up once!

(1l)

10l is silly!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Nope. i serviced it once in 50k. @ 36k

It ran like a dream. Im sure most people will vouch for that.

I used 1L when new. Since the 12K service its only budged 1 click on the digi (17K) meter thingy, and thats when the engine is cold...

I know the car is different, seems high for you tho.

Does the car get up to temp, short journeys etc. Could this make a diff??

D

Lionel Richie

fully syn is fine as far as im aware in a 1.2 16V

mine has been on 0W40 Mobil1 for the past 52K and no probs

Fully synthetic can cause problems on some engines. A mate of mine used to work at one of the oil research labs on Canvey Island and was involved in a project that looked at this very issue. There were some reports of excessive "glazing" of the bores when using fully synthetic oils, particularly if the oil was changed frequently. This has been noted in some motorsport categories where the cars dont do much mileage between changes and the result has sometimes been premature bore wear - blue smoke from the exhaust under acceleration and sometimes when engine is idling and is running at high temp.

For what its worth, Ive often been told that if I use fully synth. then dont bother with more frequent oil changes than recommended - stick to 12k on the 172. Alternatively, use semi-synth and change at 6k.

Quote: Originally posted by Fred2001Dynamic on 19 March 2004

fully syn is fine as far as im aware in a 1.2 16V

mine has been on 0W40 Mobil1 for the past 52K and no probs

Is it not too thin for the engine? Reckoned that 5w50 would be a safer choice heh?