ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How much room should there be between ITB trumpet and airbox?

Cro

Meg'd r27
Anyone know if theres a minimum or optimum distance between the end of the trumpet and the beginning of the airbox?

Golf GTD Mk7
How much distance you got? I've presume so long as they're not sucking the box (giggity ;)), they should be fine.

Cro

Meg'd r27
Lol, thinking about changing the box I have a 60mm backplate, 90mm trumpets currently so 30mm protruding.

Thinking about a 65mm front plate so 35mm clearance to the front of the box... but its not flat so could be slightly under 30mm in some places

Golf GTD Mk7
I'd be suprised if 5mm more would make much difference, but worth a try. you'd be able to tell if it was choking itself. would it not be easier to get smaller trumpets?

ITB'd MK1
30mm is a fair clearance. You can even see improvements in places by having a baffle plate closer to the trumpet mouth. the rules are not hard and fast though, it has to be experimented with to find what's best. I would stick with what you have in honesty

Cro

Meg'd r27
Its the difference between using the usual sausage filters and moving to a cold air box similar to burps though danny

ITB'd MK1
with those pipercross boxes, it's more important getting the distance right. Trialed one in a very tight space and because the box was too close to the bell-mouths it was a big restriction, but a sausage filter swapped on was a lot better. I think it was 18bhp difference we saw. With decent clearance on another vehicle, there was no power difference. A box is generally a good idea for wet weather, and noise limitation

Cro

Meg'd r27
I'm probably just going to have to try both on a rr then. For testing should there be a filter on the airbox Danny or fine for that short time just sucking in from the side?

From experience I'd want a lot more than 30mm between the face of a trumpet and the back wall of a single inlet airbox.