ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How much wear do you get out of your front tyres!?

Monaco Blue 172 (56/468)
As per title just wondering how long everyones fronts have lasted them. Getting some new michelin pe2's next week and wanted to know what i should expect to get out of them?

Monaco Blue 172
i recently had to replace eagle f1's on the front which had barely done 12k ! was a bit shocked to say the least, as i'm not exactly a lairy driver...

37000 on the original Michelin Low energy tyres. Still legal when replaced. A lot of motorway use though.
Thats on a Dci 100.
Replaced with Eagle F1s which have done 26000 and still plenty left.

Breaking A 172 Replica
Had some Vredesteins on the front of my 1.2.

Had them 5000 miles and have around 2mm left.

Will not be buying those again.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Currently 8k on my original fronts , Michelin PE2's , gonna need some new ones in the next couple of weeks . The contis i had on my 172 lasted me 7500k :eek:

Like edde says , swap em round .New ones to the back old ones to the front , that way they you get more wear out of em , plus you should always have the best tyres on the back ;)

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
my old dears were at 12k nearly with loads of tread left.. sadly one got replaced due to a flat and it got raped for a while as she drove the last few streets home..

they were doing very well tho and i expect would have sen 20k+ no trouble

Monaco Blue 172 (56/468)
Currently 8k on my original fronts , Michelin PE2's , gonna need some new ones in the next couple of weeks . The contis i had on my 172 lasted me 7500k :eek:

Like edde says , swap em round .New ones to the back old ones to the front , that way they you get more wear out of em , plus you should always have the best tyres on the back ;)

Is it always best to do this and put the new ones on the back!? Would have thought it wud be best to have newer ones on the front even if they will wear out faster!? Sorry if a lame question but luckily iv never had to put new fronts on!!

Is it always best to do this and put the new ones on the back!? Would have thought it wud be best to have newer ones on the front even if they will wear out faster!? Sorry if a lame question but luckily iv never had to put new fronts on!!

Yep best tyres always on the back.

Its must safer been proved time and time again to be safer plus the clios not much weight at the back so unless you like swopping end then give the back end all the grip you can.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Like edde says . Its safer with the new tyres on the back and move your older back tyres to the front . If your back tyres are well worn and the front tyres are new and you have to brake hard , the front tyres will grip and the back tyres won't grip as much so the back end of the car will want to overtake the front end , especially in the wet .I know this from experience , lol ;)

Last edited:

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
P6000's on the 1.2 have done 28k and are still going..

No idea how long the Conti's have been on my 172, still plenty of tread tho.

1.6 16v
Has anyone tryed these??

Goodyear Excellence 205/40/ZR17

Need new tyres for my 17's and dont know what to buy tbh. I need good gip in wet and dry with ok lasting.

Steve

Conti's on my 172 used to last about 6k, PE2's on my 182 last about 6k.

When are you replacing them?

When they reach the legal limit? (1.6mm over 75% of tyre)

or

When they start to tramline more and damp/wet performance starts to drop off?

My front Conti's have just over 2mm left on them but are tramlining more and skiddy in damp (not full wet) conditions.

About 2mm or just over, depends. They never get to 1.6mm as you can really feel the level of grip dropping off as they get low.

That milage is without tracking or 1/4 miling and with a fair amount of my milage being a slow commute to work in traffic.

ST
Managed to get 11k out of the original exalto's on the front of my 182 before changing which isn't bad considering i only managed 8k out of a pair of toyo's on the front of old dynamique!!

RenaultSport clio 172 mk1
You need to get your tracking looked at, i've just turned 8K about half worn.

Trackings just fine thanks. I just appreciate my car, i didn't buy one of the best handling hot hatches ever made to pussy foot around on a dual carriageway (IMO - not knocking anyone who only purely commutes in a 182)

I was suprised when the pe2's only lasted 6K though! got some goodyear f1's on now but not expecting them to last much longer

Done just over 16,500 miles on the Exaltos still going strong (well the rear tyres are, front are pushing it to wear indicators). These 16,500 miles include a Renaultsport trackday at Brands and one of Clarkie's airstrip days.

A colleague of mine's rear set of eco-continentals have done 65,000 miles on his diesel corsa!! They still have plenty of tread on them too.