ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How much......

Post processing do you do?

Having recently only got into taking photos in RAW rather Jpeg my post processing is currently limited to using Canon's DPP program to do the following:

- adjust exposure
- adjust levels
- increase general saturation
- add contrast
- sharpen
- crop

Then convert to Jpeg....

I've got Photoshop Elements 5 and also recently purchased a book by Mark Galer on Elements which has some great tips and hints for optimising photos, for example selectively masking parts of the photos and then adjusting colour, levels, saturation etc and also using adjustment layers. The book also has a DVD with plenty of video tutorials which really helps to explain the various techniques.

So anyway, how much post processing do you use...and what sort of techniques do you use and how much time do you spend on each photo?

182-racing-blue

Not a lot really. just adjust the brightness and contrast on some shots to make them more vivid.

Most pics are good to go right of the card.

Oil Burner
As little as i can get away with. If its a good photo to start with it makes my life so much easier.

Post production can be a tool, but it can also hide inability. Certainly ive used it to hide the latter before.

Depends on what I'm after.

A one off landscape shot could spend half hour messing around, blending layers etc. or 30 seconds if its one of 100+ lacrosse images for example..

VaVa
Not much. Mainly because I'm not much good at it lol. Usually levels and saturation, but not much else. In fact the less I feel I need to do the happier I am! lol

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
I try to keep post processing minimal, but seeing as i take very average pics i usually have to play with them a bit.

I'm happiest when all i have to do is resize and add a border.

Cupra
I mostly just crop and correct WB, with the occasional bit of clone tool use to get rid of something.

I really want to learn how to use curves etc but just can't find the time for it at the minute.

Pretty much none until earlier this year, but I now sharpen my images slightly and try to correct the colour to the best of my ability, just to give it a bit of 'pop'.

I tend to process 500 pictures or so from a day out in just over an hour, I really don't enjoy that side of things so try to get as much right in camera as possible.

B

Brown.

i always used to just shoot jpeg cos the resuts camera could kick out where better then what i could reproduce with raw, but now i know exactly what i want with my images i use raw for specific shots.....general stuff ie stuff a have no intention of post processing i just rely of the camera and jpeg.....shotting raw is pointless unless you know exactly what you want.... sharpness from raw always seems less then the incamera jpeg.....people sometimes forget this and overlook it at post process. (just from what i have seen mind you.

B

Brown.

Pretty much none until earlier this year, but I now sharpen my images slightly and try to correct the colour to the best of my ability, just to give it a bit of 'pop'.

I tend to process 500 pictures or so from a day out in just over an hour, I really don't enjoy that side of things so try to get as much right in camera as possible.

do you find you do the same to every imge ? or is every image individual?

batch processing software or correcting the image via filters can remove some of the post processing...