ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How reliable are mk2 ph2 172's ?

JMR

RB 182 Cup
Had mine nearly 3 years, was 2 yr old when i bought it. Superb reliability.:approve:

Only prob was a bust rear shocker. £80 to replace at Renault

Clio_Smart
It just since i have been a member i have a read a few stories about the 172's breaking down and general problems with them.

Is it possible for someone to give a detailed post about the 172's

Thanks Guys :D

i don't think mine's been hugely unreliable (in the sense that it has left me stranded - although the gearbox did seize whilst i was out and the battery also failed on me away from home..) but - a lot of parts seem to have a disappointing service life.

there are also a lot of people who (apparently) have faultless cars but i'll bet that, if they try hard enough, they'll find that the same components that wear in everyone else's cars are wearing in theirs;)

i've only had mine a year and don't know anywhere near as much as some of the aficionados on here but i'd list the following as problems that you should budget (depending upon the individual car) on having to replace, sooner or later:
- top mounts (poor design)
- engine mounts (too soft)
- exhaust and hangers (corrosion and, again, rubbers are too soft)
- rear dampers (they leak)

only a few thoughts - as said, lots of other things to look for listed in the guides (sorry, don't know how to link to them)

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
not really, tax is expensive
insurance is the biggie,

just make sure you have at least £500 in the bank at all times as a back up

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Find a 2l sports car that can do that -

DSC00450.jpg

:approve: :cool: :approve:

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Mine did, read my project post, did 15/20 miles down the m4/m25 at 50mph with an empty car with my foot just resting off the pedal, yes i was driving old man style but i was a happy boy to see that :approve: , never did that before the re-map & de-cat, only managed 43mpg :dapprove:

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Yep thats true, soon as i took it to 70 on the a30, still driving easy it went down to 46/47.. then got to the lights.. & erm cooper s wanted some fun.. 34mpg :eek:

ValverInBits
gearboxes are made of cake and buscuits.
Coilpacks are typical french electronics.
If you drove them like a company car then they really wouldnt last long.

But they are a good laugh. I suppose they arent tooooooo bad. I've been most annoyed with the gearboxes tbh

RB 182 & Lotus Evora
I think it depends on how you drive your car.

In my ownership ive only had to replace the cv boot clips on both sides....Which is the most common issue...

Everything else has been spot on. Just the major services are a kick in the goonands at 5oo pounds every 5 years.

Id deffinatley get another 172/182 clio in the future. Money for power/reliability/ecomony im a happy owner.

Clio 172 mk2
From my experience with the 172 I'd say they are reliable little cars, okay, they are a tad flimsy but that's French stuff for you.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
gearboxes are made of cake and buscuits.
Coilpacks are typical french electronics.
If you drove them like a company car then they really wouldnt last long.

But they are a good laugh. I suppose they arent tooooooo bad. I've been most annoyed with the gearboxes tbh

He said Phase 2's not Fabia lol

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
ive had mine for a year, bought it mint condition with just over 20k on the clock 4yr old. in the last year its had....

new exhaust
lambda sensor
2 rear shocks
all 4 engine mounts
new battery

its never let me down or left me stranded just niggles that ive replaced eventually