ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How reliable is your car? Answer please everyone :)

06 Hyundai coupe 2.0
Right there are alot of post about this and that going wrong with peoples cars, just want to know how bad renaults actually are or if they are actually reliable, so I was thinking if everyone put what car they have and gave it a mark out of 10. So for me-

mk2 172
7/10

and we should be able to work out if certain models where better than others?

53 Clio 172
I have a renault clio ph 172 with 45-60k while I have owned it.

I have had numerous problems with it but thankfully its had a warrenty but now its sorted thanks to Tom(westsrenault off here)!

Apart from things like suspension parts and joints I haven't had to replace anything else.

Compare it to a german car and it is pretty shameful imo......STILL LOVE IT THOUGH!!

RenaultSport clio 18
In my 70k of ownership the wheel bearings , exhaust and mounts , and not much else has 'gone' apart from the usual servicing parts and perishables...touch wood i'm fairly impressed with it considering how hard i treat it.

Clio 182
I have had a 182 for over 2 years now and done over 50k in her. Its been great all that has gone is the gearbox as it had a whine in 5th.

SG9 Forester STi
Only problems I've had since the cars overhaul has been a broken blower, only works on number 4 (must sort that before it gets too cold) and a faulty injector. All good now though, touch wood!

So for me 8/10.

JoshOm3

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup'182/Rs2'd Trophy
My 182 is faultless and its got high miles. Treat it right and it will look after you...

Fiesta ST-3
I have a 52 plate 172 cup on 49k. Its had no problems as of yet but whistles like hell at 50+mph loose seal some where so its...

9/10 for me.

Ive only every owned a diamond. You watch the thing fall down around me now lol.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
52 Plate Mk2 172 now on 128,000 miles, and runs very well. Standard clutch gearbox, and has only let me down once in 5 years and 80,000+ miles, and that was the backbox falling off! (Touches wood)

535d / t5 caravelle
clio 16v-

21k-76k-4 gearboxes, and cambelt snapped, other than that bob on lol

williams-

did about 15k in it, took it over 100k-gearbox

172 cup-

done 2k in it, nothing :)

the only issues i seem to have with renaults are the shite gearboxes, maybe i was just to harsh on them in my younger days, cambelt is one of those things, apart from that i think they are no worse than any other car, get a good one and your laughing, get a shed, and, well its your own fault when it goes wrong!

Had my 182 a month and done about 500 miles... Just had to do the exhaust mounts so far (which I had to do almost immediately)...

Kinda hoping it's gonna be like my Corsa - 5 years of ownership and I needed 2 tyres, 1 exhaust, 2 brake pads and 1 cambelt. It started 1st time every time and never had so much as a hiccup.

Clio 172 ph2
Are we marking for its faults or our opinion on how we like the car?

Its been fairly unreliable but seems ok at the moment so i'd say 6/10 for that

But to drive i like it, could do with more torque but great brakes and cornering so 8/10 for that!

Jap Box
Currently id rate it 4/10

Problems within a week up till today: Backbox fell off, handbreak cable snapped, then today the actual handbreak pulley and surround snapped off the actual chassis of the car :(

Still got the injection system light on too, will be treating it to a good service before the end of the month though :)

EDIT: Cars a 1998 PH2 1.2 and got 126k on the clock :rasp:

Fiesta Zetec S TDCi
I've had mine for almost a month and have almost done 2000 miles...

Engine Management Light has a mind of it's own and goes on and off as and when it feels like it, when I start it up I have a rattle from the rear so I assume something's going on with the exhaust, I have the 4K rattle which is getting worse, and an engine whine when it's cold. Nothing has actually broken yet though so I'll give it an 8/10 lol

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Reliability wise

my 172 1 out of 10
my 182 9 out of 10

Jap Shed
My 172 was well looked after and was great. lots of fast driving and trackdays no probs, until the oil pump went at 70 and the engine was written off.....

182 ff
182 89 k
only ever not started once , battery was fooked
exahust,clutch,water pump, wish bones etc still love it to pieces !

Black Clio GT
2009 clio gt 1.6 petrol
16months old, 16k miles
been hammered from new not even serviced it yet and only been back in for squeeky brakes in the first month of ownership...
9/10

Clio 172
172 on 52k. ive had it since april and aint had no problems yet. Flew through the MOT last weekend with no advisories. So far so good for me

E87 118d M Sport
Had a problem with it mis-firing. Was a damp spark plug. That was 2 years ago and not a problem since.

mx5 & 172
4/10 after the major problems i had after i bought it.

ah but it can only improve from there.

mine's doing alright for a frenchy. I've done 1500 miles in it so far and apart from a rattly exhaust, one of those seatbelt guide things in the back snapping off and the CD changer not working 75000 miles don't seem to have taken much of a toll on it.

it's only a matter of time though I'm sure

I replaced my Clio with a German Panzer for a reason. Since then, no issues other than tyres/brake pads. Suffices to say that I will never go French again. Ever.

Evo 5 RS
14 months ago? 1/10. Mk2 Ph1 172.

now, 9/10. Because 98% of everything on the car is new. Ask me again in 12 months

bought it a week ago, drove it for one day and its been in the garage since being fixed. hopefully it will all be good after this fix...well, at least for a month or so!

ah but it can only improve from there.

mine's doing alright for a frenchy. I've done 1500 miles in it so far and apart from a rattly exhaust, one of those seatbelt guide things in the back snapping off and the CD changer not working 75000 miles don't seem to have taken much of a toll on it.

it's only a matter of time though I'm sure

I've done 700 miles, and now possibly have a buggered engine mount.
CD changer works though :rasp:

Civic Type S GT
04 plate 182, 53,000 owned for year and a half. Problem after bloody problem, rattle after bloody rattle!! :mad:

7/10

Few things but some of them are wear and tear or cheap enough items to replace. Springs, exhaust, thermostat, handbrake cable, biggest one was the water pump.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Had the car 8 weeks ish. Been great apart from his intermitent start problems. Cleaned the throttlebody, replaced the tdc sensor and still the bloody same lol. Still love it though. See how long my patience lasts until i sell up and buy a dc2 ha ha

Dan

Mini Cooper S
9/10. Haven't spent a penny on repairs.

It has been in for warranty repairs to fix a loose lock barrell, replacement of headlights due to internal cracking and 2 wheels replaced due to paint peeling off. The drivers seat has just started to develop an annoying squeak, but on the grand scheme of things, its been 100% reliable. Love my little Renault :)

clio 182 black /gold
I would say 8/10 that is due to it needing rear shocks. The was under warrenty. Also the exhaust had snapped and it needed welding. It rattles. I know it is french. The only thing i have replaced is tyres and brake pads and discs. I have done nearly 47K and had it 5 years and 7 months.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
172 7/10.
182 Trophy, the drive 8/10 reliabilty 3/10.
Renault replaced items every week under warranty! including gearbox at 5k?
197 9/10 was faultless & i hammered it constantly.
MX5 9/10 i thought i thrashed the 197 but this just loves it. 10/10 on track sooooo much fun :D

Jun

Pearl Black 172 ph2
I'd give mine a 6/10. The electrical fault light has come on a few times recently. It hadn't done it for ages and now it's just started again.

I'm going to give the throttle body a clean sometime and see if that fixes it.

I sometimes have to give it a bit of throttle when I start it if it feels like it's going to die straight away.

BG 182 FF
Owned mine for about 15 months now, and only needed to change what needed to i.e in services or consumables. Apart from that no problems breakdowns etc etc, drivers side driveshafts days are numbered but is a common thing.
10/10 for reliablity :)

watch the engine explode tomorrow lol :eek: