ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How reliable is your Clio

I have just had a phone call from Renault UK asking me if I am happy with my Cup, 1 year on.

I have to say that I have had no problems at all. I have had the Cup for 1 year now and it has done 9K. I still love it as much as the day I got it.

After reading all of the stories on here about problems with their Clios am I particularly lucky?? or maybe just tempting fate!

K.

Meg on pistonheads £6995

love it but its been back to Reno for a new ECU and a steering creak!

I wrote a letter of complaint about fluctuations in service:

"Ready now Sir" when 2 hours early to "youre car aint goin anywhere Mister!" when not ready!

looking forward to a FREE service cos I wrote to Dealer Principal Private & Confidential on headed business paper with all the letters after me name! (I reserve these for complaints ONLY)

[Edited by black kro on 10 May 2004 at 1:18pm]

have just reached 10k miles, one minor garage visit to reload some software ( and got some free tyres) , part from that .. BRILLIANT!!!!!

no problems here at all.

Its had a hard life and has taken it all fine.

Just a brilliant little car...

Trouble is it is so good...it is hard to know what to buy next...

Spark plugs have gone twice, both resulting in an AA tow and leaving my car somewhere random overnight.

I have a cold start problem where she stalls every now and then.

I am getting my wheel bearings replaced on Wednesday..

Have numerous non mechanical problems.

Happy? Not by a long shot! Not bothered about the problems, just the inconvenience of it all.

-Rob

320d M Sport

4k rattle

ecu needed flushing umpteen times

loads of uneccessary niggles, probably caused by the total joeys at reno altrincham

well my last clio (92 plate) i had for a year and all i had to do was replace a thermostat, wheel bearing, brake cylinder and one shock. £150 on a 12 year old car - not bad :)

Had my new one for 2 weeks and love it. Not had a problem yet, but then wouldnt expect to either.

My dads had his new clio for a year and has had the sunroof replace (quite rare apparently ;)) and the rear passenger door stopped working.

All in all very happy with all 3 cars.

[Edited by Dazz on 10 May 2004 at 5:39pm]

I Have owned nearly all the models even if for short periods, i have to say if im being honest the older models are more reliable but then they dont have as much to go wrong. Fact is we pay the price for having such advanced and high powered cars with that zainy french styling/attitude. I have no sympathy for all the moaners, exept the most serious because for all the cars faults - for those few days where it works perfect and you see a type R disapeering into the distance of your rearview mirror or hold perfect line through the nurburgring when your driving well abvove you own limits and the car is compensating for you = the trouble is all worth it!

7 yr old car - had it just 6 months myself and the water pump is on its way out!

I expected more trouble with it though!

Had the car 1 yr from new.

The car is brilliant except for one thing, the f*cking sunroof. Whether it is closed or open, it rattles. I have had it in twice and they said that they have changed the frame. "Lying b*stards". I asked for the bit they changed but they never gave it me, giving me the impression that they had my car in their garage for a day sat there doin nothing.

M140i/Orange 182

its in the garage since wednesday last week.... and they dont know wots wrong with it!! they said ti a process of elimination! but they think its a rich fuel mixture of something! the toxic warning light keeps comming up!!! arrrr only had it 7 months done 6500 miles!!!

o yea, but iam still pleased with it considering it does get thrashed a bit(not all the time)hehe

[Edited by 53clio_tom on 10 May 2004 at 10:07pm]

mine has been a beauty loved every min of driving it!

every one says valvers experience problems round the 70 k mark and mines on 68k and nothing as yet and seeing as ive just been banned perhaps i wont see any either.....

for sale if any one wants it by the way

had my 172 for 18 months.

damn good car

had steering wheel replaced as rubber cracked on it and the gear box bolts were faulty otherwise an excellent car and never broke down on me -

at 24,000 miles at the moment.

dealer seems ok as well -

TDI tyre shreader

Same story for me also, my 172 is a wicked car, haven’t really owned it for very long (Jan) but after reading about all the trouble with them on here I was dreading taking ownership. But I haven’t had one knock, rattle, etc. in 3K miles so it’s all good in my book!! The only really minor problem is that my interior light doesn’t work but this is being sorted on Thursday. Oh and the knock knock knock when it begins to break traction under hard acceleration in 1st.

Clio 172 Cup

4 k rattle, many electrical faults, rear washer pump broke, rear spolier cracked, rattling when cornering sharp(meant to have been fixed), dash and driver window rattles, leak in engine bay, and most of all handling is terrible and quite dangerous at times. yeah i love my cup...not.

Quote: Originally posted by jpmad4it2 on 11 May 2004

4 k rattle, many electrical faults, rear washer pump broke, rear spolier cracked, rattling when cornering sharp(meant to have been fixed), dash and driver window rattles, leak in engine bay, and most of all handling is terrible and quite dangerous at times. yeah i love my cup...not.
What do you find terrible and dangerous about it?

Had it for all of 2 months and 2 weeks, done just over 4k in it, all that has happened was that the radio blew, but I got a new one the next day from the dealer so no biggie.

I absolutely love it, though, best, most fun car Ive ever had.

Id cleaned it and waxed it on Sunday and yesterday the missus went home early from work and picked me up from the station in it later. It was fantastic, cos as it came round the corner I saw it and I thought, wow, what a nice looking car. Then I realised it was mine. It was a definite huge-grin moment. It was all silver and shiny and sporty and it looked the dogs b0ll0cks. She then then proceeded to blast it home down the country roads. Now Im not often a passenger in it, but I now know why she sometimes whinges if I go too fast in it, cos I dont think you realise exactly how fast it is when you are actually driving it - when youre sat in the passenger seat and you have no control and it hits 5k and takes off its scary. Cant wait til Christmas as I have made it clear I want money for an exhaust and an IK.

Renault Laguna Sports

New gearbox, rear shocks, sunroof frame, sunroof handle, throttle body, aerial base and mod to connectors under the seats for airbag light. And still I love the little sod.

Clio 172 Cup

Quote: Originally posted by CRS172 on 11 May 2004

Quote: Originally posted by jpmad4it2 on 11 May 2004

What do you find terrible and dangerous about it?
the fact that is pulls you violently into any crack, bump or hole on the road. If im driving through a narrow bit of road with cars parked on either side of the road, and a car is coming towards me, it will pull suddenly towards the on coming traffic just because ive ahd to drive over the line painting in the middle of the road, or if there is a small depression / fault in the road it loves to get in them and bounce around as much as it can. I just dont know which way the car is going to go! It feels dangerous as its so unpredicatble. I dread over taking people as sometimes the car can pull in towards the car im oer-taking! Renault just said its following the camber of the road on the dirve test. On open smooth roads its not too bad....it pulls to the left a little and vibrates a bit. On a rough main road its awful. I just hate driving it!

LOL! "he fact that is pulls you violently into any crack, bump or hole on the road. "

It does this because it is a high-powered small front-wheel drive car with a very sensitive well-handling chassis. What you describe above I like because you know exactly what is going on at the wheels. We have been increasing molly-coddled by cars that basically drive themselves, the Clio actually asks you to do some driving. If you dont like it youd be better driving a larger car. Im not having a go at you, but you dont buy a 172 for the relaxing drive.

[Edited by Yugguy on 12 May 2004 at 9:26am]

You must drive like a girl get hold of the f**king steering wheel and tell the car where you want it to go. Its essentially a point and squirt car. I know exactly what you mean about following the depressions in the road but at the end of the day its a track car for perfectly flat sticky tarmac. England just isnt the best environment but you sound like you need to grow some muscle in your forearms. Ok the car suffers from torque steer and the suspention is so hard it doesnt absorb the uneven surface but what did you expect when you purchased it buy a VW golf for god sake! Did you just like the blue colour or the OZ wheels, its not a runabout its a hardcore hot hatch with impecable handling. I think people need to get agrip, often the people who can aford to buy these cars arnt often the best people to be driving them. You probably dont want my opinion but i think you have the best handling hot hatch available for the money and you just dont have the minerals to drive it!

Astra VXR 17/05/07

Ive had to read this thread twice :eek:

People loving their Renaults instead of going on about problems and how crap they are !

Its great to see and my pennies worth is that i have had no problems allthough ive only had mine 2 months and 1300 miles !! Great car and loving it also :D

Even the dealership is friendly :cool:

I had my Cup for 30K. On the whole it was very reliable.

Probs I encountered:

Renaults interpretation of Customer Sevice.

Exhaust snapping at the cat. (Dodgy weld?)

Clutch going prematurely. Approx 17K. :oops: :eek: :(

Various niggly rattles that I ignored for the most part.

Nippy white cup

I still love my car but I have had many problems....

Alarm randomly going off (In 3 times before it was sorted)

Engine mounts(In once, said they couldnt find owt, then back in found the prob and has had two sets in a few months(although the original set lasted ages))

Powersteering pipe went (twice now and now it is fixed it has a strange feel mid bend where the steering goes loose at a certain point)

TDC sensor/Coil pack (In renault at the moment)

Gearbox Leak (Renault found at service, in at moment)

Starter Motor

Fan belt tensioner( snapped clean off)

Drivers seat release broke(Couldnt get into the back of the car on the drivers side. Fixed but still needs a bit of fettling to open it)

1 time nic took the car in, had booked it in for courtesy car weeks b4. She gets there and there are non available...Sorry! Nic rang the complaints dept and found that they are obliged to hire one for you! We ended up with a brand new Focus auto and then a 30 mile on the clock Fiesta. Funny how they forgot that this was possible!

BUT after all this, when it runs right (as it should do when I get it back) it still has me grinning from ear to ear. The rattles and squeaks are annoying but I forget all that once it hit that magic 5000rpm :D

Chris

[Edited by Chris nnic on 13 May 2004 at 11:57am]

Clio 172 Cup

Quote: Originally posted by Scribbler on 12 May 2004

You must drive like a girl get hold of the f**king steering wheel and tell the car where you want it to go. Its essentially a point and squirt car. I know exactly what you mean about following the depressions in the road but at the end of the day its a track car for perfectly flat sticky tarmac. England just isnt the best environment but you sound like you need to grow some muscle in your forearms. Ok the car suffers from torque steer and the suspention is so hard it doesnt absorb the uneven surface but what did you expect when you purchased it buy a VW golf for god sake! Did you just like the blue colour or the OZ wheels, its not a runabout its a hardcore hot hatch with impecable handling. I think people need to get agrip, often the people who can aford to buy these cars arnt often the best people to be driving them. You probably dont want my opinion but i think you have the best handling hot hatch available for the money and you just dont have the minerals to drive it!

haha. instead of me growing muscles, i think u need to grow some brains or even grow up a little instead of trying to insult people. i understand what the car is and what it was made for.

best handling hot hatch...........no u see thats why i aint happy because it just doenst handle. Do u think id be moaning if i had the best handling hot hacth..........dur no i dont think i would. Its funny how my friends who have these crappy standard fiat puntos can go into corners a lot quicker than me. Now does that sound right to you...........no. i think u would expect a 172 cup being able to go into a corner a lot quicker than a standard Punto. If i go into a corner hard all i hear is the f**king rattle rattle rattle coming from the front suspension......the car drifts and bounces all over the place its a bag of sh*t..............YEA mate brilliant handling :) a car that bounces and drifts in corners.....SUBERP HANDLING!..........do u want to come and f**king drive it and then you might see what im talking about?

Megane 225 baby! :)

Had a few niggles, but nothing compared to others! :) Helps that I have a great relationship with my dealer, they know not to annoy me!!!!

Love it just as much as the day I picked it up from the dealers and manged to do !25mph 10 minutes into owning it :devilish: Dont think any other car could make me smile more, apart from a V6 ;)

jpmad4it2, I dont agree with insulting you, at least I was more diplomatic, but theres either something wrong with your driving or your cars suspension.

I have a standard 172 and I have lost count of the number of cars Ive outhandled on roundabouts.

Clio 172 Cup

Yuggy.......EXACTLY! thats what im trying to say, my car should be so much better than most at handling, but it just isnt, and renault just dont seem to want to bother looking into it. So frustrating.

Your best bet would be to get down to a meet and see if you can have a go in someone elses, to compare.

At the end of the day though, as fantastic as the Clio is, lol, ;) not everyone is going to like it, so if its not for you, sell it.

Cup 172

The day I get out cornered by a Punto is the day the car gets sold.

I have no problems at all with my car in 6 months and 6000 miles. Totally reliable and makes me smile every time I drive it. Cant think of any other car for the money that Id rather have at the moment. (Possibly an Integra Type R) at a push but they still want 10-12 grand for an X plate one!

The defence rests!