ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How to boostgaming PC performance?

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
new gfx card, more ram, faster processor, ssd drive, latest version of directx, update videocard drivers, watercooling+overclocking... loads you can do. If your base system is old though, its not worth upgrading, just start again else you will be limited by bus speeds etc.

CLS320 with a D6
Make sure your power cable is as straight as possible. Seriously, give us a spec

Gigabyte H61M-S2PV motherboard
Intel i3 Processor @ 3.30GHz
8GB Kingston HyperX blue RAM
1.5TB Seagate HDD
500GB Seagate HDD
Nvidia GT 640 Graphics Card.

It is only a year old. Cant afford the likes of a new graphics card or SSD. but Im going to see if i can get an i7 cheap in the new year when the sales are on.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
although you only have an i3, a new cpu would be on the bottom of my list as you can offload a lot of the work onto the gfx card. I would also go ssd then gfx card. SSD's are dirt cheap theses days (256gb should be plenty) and the gfx card will probably put you back a good few hundred quid.

-edit, actually, the 660 isnt that bad of a card, I change my order to ssd > cpu > gfx as you are going to have to pay big bucks to better the gpu. also make sure your PSU is large enough to deliver your requirements.

Last edited:
Out of that, I'd get an i5 2500k or i7, maybe up the ram to 16gb, a 7950/70 and the absolute top of your list should be an SSD. You'll notice a huge difference from that more than anything if you use your PC for more than just gaming.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Top of the list should be GPU, for gaming SSD doesn't make that much difference. In terms of regular use of a PC an SSD makes a massive difference, once playing a game, not so much.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Gigabyte H61M-S2PV motherboard
Intel i3 Processor @ 3.30GHz
8GB Kingston HyperX blue RAM
1.5TB Seagate HDD
500GB Seagate HDD
Nvidia GT 640 Graphics Card.

It is only a year old. Cant afford the likes of a new graphics card or SSD. but Im going to see if i can get an i7 cheap in the new year when the sales are on.

I run an Extreme Edition first-gen i7. Personally I suggest that if you're going down the complete overhaul route, that a decent i5 would be far better suited.

D.

I suggest an SSD if you use it for all that then, along with some more ram and a GPU if you can afford all that. If not then just an SSD and GPU would make a difference, but may be bottlenecked by your CPU.

Steam saves games via cloud, right click any game and go to properties, updates and make sure that enable steam cloud sychronisation for 'game name' is ticked. you can also backup your save game files too.

Care to share why you don't like AMD? Just curious.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
They don't offer the performance required for the development of C# applications.

? what type of c# applications are you writing?! Obviously not standard applications? I use AMD in my pc without problems but I only develop asp.net and winforms at the moment.

Gpu - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-292-AS&groupid=701&catid=1914

SSD - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-041-IN&groupid=701&catid=2104

Total : £259.58

A little over budget, but that includes shipping and should last quite well.

Don't go for the MSI GPU's that look like this - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-205-MS&groupid=701&catid=1914 As they're noisy as hell and get on your tits very quickly IME.

Not a fan of Msi products anyhow?

Personally for the extra money I'd stick with the 660. If I had to upgrade from a 660 on the other hand, I'd rather get a 770 or 780, I won't upgrade unless it's going to be a VERY noticeable difference.
I've got a 7970 OC and won't be upgrading for a couple/few years or until I can't run games at a solid 60fps on medium or higher settings. The only other reason I'd get another card/upgrade would be to have better performance with eyefinity but it's not a priority at the moment.

EDIT - Not so much MSI, they're great cards. I had the MSI 7970 and it overclocked amazingly and performed flawlessly but it was so noisy on anything above 60% fans you'd have to shout to have a conversation. I ended up getting a HIS 7970 Ice-Q Ghz Edition 3072mb and it's whisper quiet and performs just as well. If/when I go watercooled I'll be getting another noisy MSI and ripping the fan off.
[h=1][/h]

Last edited:
MSI are probably about the best brand you can buy, just ensure you don't get the stock coolers and all is good :)

They have one of the best/easiest warranties around (aside from EVGA).

A 660/760 would be good. I'd recommend an AMD card for price vs performance, but the prices have gone up considerably on most of them as people are frantically buying them for Cryptocurrency mining.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Asp.net, winforms, web forms and ado.net at the moment but in the new year will be starting more advanced c# applications.

an AMD GPU isn't going to cause you any problems with any of the above. And if your looking to offload mathematical operations to the GPU, CUDAfy.NET works with Nvidia and AMD (CUDA and OpenCL).

I dont know exactly how advanced the applications i will be creating will need to be in the new year

Mate, last thing I would be worrying about when compling c# programs is a gpu. You want a better cpu and more ram if anything. Unless you're going to be creating xbox one indie games?

I compile complex winforms applications on my 3 year laptop with internal graphics fine.

Anyway SSD is the first thing you want on your list. Is not just about the load times (even though there is a massive difference) it's also about the r/w speed of the page file which will help as you don't have much ram.

What motherboard have you got? that may be another thing that needs upgrading as the bus speeds could massively let your system down. It will be able to take a i7 but it could still be the 'weak link' in your system.

You're also better off getting a top end i5 than a 'cheap' i7

Oops I've missed that. Yep it's a basic board there's no point in using a i7 on that!

Yeah it will only be basic RAM that he has for a guess. Something like this will be a lot better! http://www.ebuyer.com/509513-corsair-8gb-ddr3-1600mhz-vengeance-kit-intel-haswell-cmy8gx3m2a1600c9b

I can't afford to upgrade most of my computer. A SSD and a new GPU will be fine at the moment. When I gwt more money available to my budget I will more than likely get a new mobo processor and ram. The current ram I have now was recommend by a fellow computing student.

I can't afford to upgrade most of my computer. A SSD and a new GPU will be fine at the moment. When I gwt more money available to my budget I will more than likely get a new mobo processor and ram. The current ram I have now was recommend by a fellow computing student.

Yeah I understand that mate :) Just saying that when you come to upgrade to a i7, you will want a new MOBO. What RAM have you got atm, and what speed is it?

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I dont know exactly how advanced the applications i will be creating will need to be in the new year
That's what API's and HAL's are for mate. Don't limit your choice of GPU based on your programming language - unless it absolutely has to be nVidia specific. I can't think of many cases where it would need to be. :)