ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How to change the driveshaft???

98 Clio 1.2 RN MK2
Does anyone have any information on how to change the driveshaft on my clio???

I have a 98 MK2 clio and i need to change the CV joint but they only sell the whole driveshaft, stupid I know.

I would welcome any comment from experiences you guys had with this or if you have a website i can visit that would help too.

Just to clarify my car is a 98 MK2 1.2RN manual with ABS.

Thnx every1 :D

98 Clio 1.2 RN MK2
Also where does anyone have any idea where it would be cheapest to get the driveshaft???
I've already asked AP, BB and renault so far AP is cheapest.

Which side as the passengers side is more difficult as you've got to drain the gearbox. although its not huge just ned new fluid. I'll write a gauide depending on which it is takes an hour at most to do either sade if you take your time.

Cheap parts try Halfords or other motorshops.

Its not worth trying to buy a CV joint just get a new shaft much less trouble there a pain to do.

98 Clio 1.2 RN MK2
Yeah its the passenger side, I've seen on another post you've posted something about this aswell.

I'm buying the whole driveshaft as a direct replacement. A guide would be great.

I've heard that you can't get a CV joint on the renault cos the manufacturer is trying to make more money by selling the whole part as a whole. (b******s)

Thnx edde.

Chnaing the CV joint isn't worth it changing shafts much better idea.

Easy to do best get a new nut though 30mm and you should replace them every time some new shafts come with new bolts.

Remove center cover of the wheel
Loosen the 30mm nut in the cenet of the wheel.
Losen the wheel bolts
Jack car up and axle stand it
Remove wheel
Undo the 8mm sump nut on the gearbox bottom (there only 2 nuts one on the engine and one on the box so cannot go wrong) under the car and drain all the gearbox oil out.

You now need to get the driveshaft out easy way it to undo the two bolts which hold the bottom ball joint on there a bit difficult to get to 13mm nuts and 14mm bolts I think. They attach the wishbone to the ball joint.

Undo the three nuts which old the driveshaft rubber cover to the gearbox you might get some oil leaking out. 13mm I think.

Pull the hub outwards and knock the driveshaft out it might need abit of a knock with something push the shaft in pull the hub outward. You might need or want to undo the stearing arm or hub nuts for space but its not needed.

You should have the oil shaft out stick the new one in tigheten the three bolts around the gearbox on then get the hub back on the other end.

Put it back together as you took it to pieces . I'd fill the gearbox up a bit when its jacked up with the wheel off to check the gearbox to driveshaft bolts are tight enough not to leak.

Fill the gearbox with some new fluid and use a new copper nut there only 40p or so from Renault or Halfords etc.

If you want to know torque tighness I'll find out the most important one though is the 30mm nut which holds the driveshaft on that has to be done to 275NM from memory its very tight.

Make sure you've a decinet quality tool kit to do this though cheap stuff will break trying to get the 30mm nut off often.

Make sure you have a tool to fill the gearbox with space is limited and the drain hole is facing forwards at the front of the gearbox low down by the radiator Halfords sell (or least used to) a funnel which works and fits into the hole and gives just enough lenght.

Use some decient gearbox oil I use the Miller 75/90. Royal Purple is the best but thats £50 mine was £40. You need 3.5 liters or so but they usualy only sell in 5 liter containers or 1 so best get a bit extra I always spill stuff when doing things like this.

ph1 172
There is no point getting a torque setting for the hub nut as unless you work on HGV's most guages dont go anywhere near high enough. You just have to tighten it to FT Nm, just stand on a big bar

98 Clio 1.2 RN MK2
Do you guys know where to put the axel stand, In know where to jack the car up but i have no idea where to put the axel stand???

Thnx for the help so far guys really appreciate it.

CB600FS
Front hubs are 250nm mate, any decent torque wrench would have it on but not the £11.99 Argos ones

Stick the axle stands under the chassis leg which runs most the length of the car, dont use a trolley jack on its own

NoT_sO_fAsT said:
Do you guys know where to put the axel stand, In know where to jack the car up but i have no idea where to put the axel stand???
Look at the Mk2 lifting.jacking guide that gives you an idea.

98 Clio 1.2 RN MK2
I'm gona try and get it done tomorrow, i had a look today but can't seem to find the nut from where i drain the gearbox, i found a square nut or bolt is that where to drain the gearbox??

I know where the engine sump is but there seems to be no oil anywhere on the outer of the gearbox, i think this means my car never had a gearbox oil change.

NoT_sO_fAsT said:
I'm gona try and get it done tomorrow, i had a look today but can't seem to find the nut from where i drain the gearbox, i found a square nut or bolt is that where to drain the gearbox??

I know where the engine sump is but there seems to be no oil anywhere on the outer of the gearbox, i think this means my car never had a gearbox oil change.
Its at the lowest point of the gearbox there only 2 8mm square nuts under there one is on the sump for the engine and thats on a bit flat plate area the gearbox ones is on a none falt bit as such.

98 Clio 1.2 RN MK2
Yeah i found everything i need to on the car and was going well when i found that the bearing on the driveshaft i bought is worn out so i need to take it back now. I'm gutted that such a small thing stopped me.

98 Clio 1.2 RN MK2
Changed the driveshaft today, got a renault one cos a bit more but it should work out to be worth it. No drama what so ever, thanks for the info edde and tom

Renault Clio MK2 Ph1
hi just a quick question

i heard that renault 19 chamade drive shaft are the same as clio 2 mk1 yr 01 drive shaft is that true or not

cheers
nethym

Renault Clio MK2 Ph1
Hi Guys
little question!!

how do you know that you need to change your driveshaft?

cheers
nethy

Right just to bump this thread up a bit... Since mine went yesterday :mad:

Clio MK2 PH1 (1.1 8v) Im changing the drivers side shaft i've heard no oil will leak, and after separating the ball joint at the hub the shaft just slides out? Or do I need to undo that plate mentioned with 3 bolts on? Or is that only passenger side due to sealing the gear box? and last one... 250nM for the center nut (30mm) Is that right?

Cheers guys

Nick