ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How to check your CVs and driveshafts?

Clio 172
I'm currently in the process of replacing the gearbox on my 172 and since I've already taken everything off the front of the car it's a good time to replace faulty and worm out parts like shocks and springs etc.

But how do I check the CVs and shafts?

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Easiest thing would be to check the seals visually. Give the shaft a shake etc. Check the boots over.

Cup In bits
Visually as above first then

CV's:

Hold the cv in one hand and the main shaft in the other. Rotate them against each other and feel for any back lash, there should be very little. Then push the cv in and out along the length again there should be no play.

O/S drive side:

Check the 3 roller bearings (yoke) move freely and that no rollers are missing.

N/S drive side.

Check condition of the splines where it enters the gearbox as these are known to wear out on clio's. By using the above method for CV's check the sliding joint by rotating against each other for play, there should be none but there will be play along the length on that joint. You could even pop the clip and check the condition of the 3 roller bearings (yoke) again within the sliding joint.